BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Shabani Nonda Signs

• Replies 468
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And who is this magic person you are referring to?

I dont know. Surely there is somebody out there who could do better then Nonda at the moment. He hasnt scored many goals, my opinion and choice if i had one was to give Derbyshire a crack in the first team. He's 20, looks promising according to Sparky :D So why not?

Edited by West Sussex Rover

He "needs time to adapt to English football" - Great meanwhile he is ruining our season with game after game of poor performances... If he is a true professional he wouldnt need a year to get used to being somewhere... Go home Nonda, your not wanted here!

Stuart Pearce: Foreign players not given enough time, instant success demanded.

Give the lad a year. If he is not any good by the end of the season then that is every reason to ship him out.

In the meantime he deserves his chances at impressing and a bit of support, along with the rest of the players in the squad.

Stuart Pearce: Foreign players not given enough time, instant success demanded.

Give the lad a year. If he is not any good by the end of the season then that is every reason to ship him out.

In the meantime he deserves his chances at impressing and a bit of support, along with the rest of the players in the squad.

Give him to the end of the year...and what?? By that time we could be looking forward to Championship football. I think he has had enough games and unless he is going to but a bit more effort in I can see him returning to Italy sooner rather than later.

Give him to the end of the year...and what?? By that time we could be looking forward to Championship football. I think he has had enough games and unless he is going to but a bit more effort in I can see him returning to Italy sooner rather than later.

THANKYOU Jordan!! Thats exactly the point i have been trying to make! I agree with you 100%!!

Yeah your right.

Shevchenko go home. You are a waster.

Your the 2nd highest champions league goal scorer of all time but you aren't good enough for the Prem.

Any player needs time to adapt to the English game, some longer than others.

Morientes did not exactly set the Prem alight either, doing good now though in he.

It's no news that Johhny Foreigner can take time to adapt to the PL, which to my mind puts a big question mark over Hughes's decision to fill the front places with two of them at the same time. Roberts wasn't first choice when fit and Jeffers clearly isn't seen as good enough to get a start even now, so in my book Hughes is in the dock for this one.

I think Roberts was first choice, it's just that he's never been fit for us. I'm sure Hughes was looking at Roberts and Benni as his front two. Roberts can win things in the air and put defenders under pressure, and we all know what Benni can do on his day.

It's no news that Johhny Foreigner can take time to adapt to the PL, which to my mind puts a big question mark over Hughes's decision to fill the front places with two of them at the same time. Roberts wasn't first choice when fit and Jeffers clearly isn't seen as good enough to get a start even now, so in my book Hughes is in the dock for this one.

I suppose the fact that Jeffers, like Roberts, is injured has totally passed you by!

I think Roberts was first choice, it's just that he's never been fit for us. I'm sure Hughes was looking at Roberts and Benni as his front two. Roberts can win things in the air and put defenders under pressure, and we all know what Benni can do on his day.

I would think that Roberts would have been first choice had it not been for his injuries. He was in the team at first and then suffered a small injury before coming back, having lost his place to Nonda (who started quite well) and then suffered a more serious injury. I don't think Hughes would have spent the money that he did on a player who he thought was only going to be a substitute.

I would say Nonda has lost his chance. I will be suprised if Derbyshire doesn't play at Reading, despite obvious problems with his youth and so on, and absolutely without a doubt Roberts and Jeffers would be playing if they were available.

It's a shame really as Nonda seemed in his first couple of games as if he had something to offer. Now we really look like having to go back out into the transfer market despite bringing in 4 strikers in over the summer.

I would say Nonda has lost his chance. I will be suprised if Derbyshire doesn't play at Reading, despite obvious problems with his youth and so on, and absolutely without a doubt Roberts and Jeffers would be playing if they were available.

It's a shame really as Nonda seemed in his first couple of games as if he had something to offer. Now we really look like having to go back out into the transfer market despite bringing in 4 strikers in over the summer.

For mine, Nonda is the best option we have for leading the line - whilst we'd all love to have the local boy become the superstar centre forward I ain't seen that potential yet - be that Derby or Gallagher

I reckon that Nonda's contribution to the team is seriously undervalued and whilst admitting I'd like more from him I cannot for the life of me see any viable alternative within the current squad - injured or not.

What we do need is more from Bentley and Pedersen. Sod the fancy stuff, roll back the years to the directness of Ripley and Wilcox whom used to get half a yard and whip the ball in - 4 good crosses a game from each winger was all Dalglish asked for. Yes they were aiming for Shearer and the like, but at least judge these present day strikers when they've been given the quick and early service.

bucky comparing nondoh with shevenko ...i just spilt my breakfast laughing

This is another example of people on this board taking peoples comments out of context. He wasnt comparing him to Sheva, he was comparing him to (just) a 'foreign player' e.g. foreign players needing time to find there feet as it were! He had a very valid point...

I think it also funny that Nonda has been given 10+ games (more than enough time) and after ONE game Derbyshire started people are saying he's not got the appropriate potential. Id say give him 5+ games and see how he settles. The least he deserves is the same as everyone else! :rover:

Edited by West Sussex Rover

This is another example of people on this board taking peoples comments out of context. He wasnt comparing him to Sheva, he was comparing him to (just) a 'foreign player' e.g. foreign players needing time to find there feet as it were! He had a very valid point...

I think it also funny that Nonda has been given 10+ games (more than enough time) and after ONE game Derbyshire started people are saying he's not got the appropriate potential. Id say give him 5+ games and see how he settles. The least he deserves is the same as everyone else! :rover:

Why give Derbyshire 5 games? Did you see something that the guys that were there didn't, or did you just pick a name out of a hat?

What about Joe Garner, shouldn't he be given 5 games as well, let's see how he settles.? What the hell, let's play all the young lads, there's nowt to lose.

Why give Derbyshire 5 games? Did you see something that the guys that were there didn't, or did you just pick a name out of a hat?

What about Joe Garner, shouldn't he be given 5 games as well, let's see how he settles.? What the hell, let's play all the young lads, there's nowt to lose.

Theres a hell of a lot to lose, get relegated and we might have to play Garner/Derbyshire up front as they will be all we have got.

Personally i'd like to see Derbs loaned out to a championship side, hopefully he can develop a little more form ready to have a go at a premier place next season. Theres enough potential in the way he bends his runs, but he does appear to miss chances and needs to improve his general positional play. He can only improve by playing. We cant afford to take a risk on him.

Whilst i'm not convinced Nonda has done nearly enough, theres is a history that he has scored goals at the highest level, and if he gets that back etc etc. Chances are the alternative will be to bring a player with a similar history into the club and hope that signing comes off, we havent got 10 games to give somebody else a chance. The Premier League demands instant results

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ Dec 14 2006, 17:21 ) 468011[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Theres a hell of a lot to lose, get relegated and we might have to play Garner/Derbyshire up front as they will be all we have got.

Personally i'd like to see Derbs loaned out to a championship side, hopefully he can develop a little more form ready to have a go at a premier place next season. Theres enough potential in the way he bends his runs, but he does appear to miss chances and needs to improve his general positional play. He can only improve by playing. We cant afford to take a risk on him.

Whilst i'm not convinced Nonda has done nearly enough, theres is a history that he has scored goals at the highest level, and if he gets that back etc etc. Chances are the alternative will be to bring a player with a similar history into the club and hope that signing comes off, we havent got 10 games to give somebody else a chance. The Premier League demands instant results

I think my touch of sarcasm went over the top SteB :)

People used to say I was good at sarcasm, must be losing my touch. I agree with everything you say.

• 3 weeks later...

I still stand by my original stance. Give the lad some time and he will come good. He's in good scoring form at the moment and long may it continue. Championship football indeed.

I reckon he should be judged on the second half of the season. Lets give the guy a fair chance. Yes, he has started most games since he was here but factor in the fact that we were in poor form overall, not creating too many chances and struggling. His movement and overall contribution has improved during the last 3 games, especially in the last one. He looks stronger even though he is an awkward runner largely due to the after-effects of his injury.

I feel he can still make an impact here.

Hmm... I'll say it again. Derbyshire needs/deserves 5 games after his performance today v Wigan!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.