BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Do You Think Rovers Did In The Transfer Market Forum

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it all has something to do with The Barry Ferguson Saga Fife?

C'mon Bob; you know better than that. There has been a consistent tendency to decry Scottish football on this site for as long as..... I admit I suffered from this particular form of ignorance myself before I moved to Scotland in '79. But now I have seen some 27 years of it up close and personal as it were, I find it sufficiently entertaining to want to keep on handing over my hard earned each week.

OK if you compare the English and Scottish games at each level, the English game comes out on top for skill overall. But that does not mean there are no good players in Scotland, on the contrary there are a lot, and they are not all playing for Rangers and Celtic. I find the Scottish game entertaining and exciting and have thoroughly enjoyed my time up here. Rovers will always be my No1 but I will always support my local team and I always have done wherever my travels or job has taken me.

Incidentally I think Ferguson is a good player even if he did not fit in at Rovers and behaved like a big soft kid. The fact remains that he CAN play; just a shame he chose not to do it for us.

Call them what you like, they are squadplayers at best. Why do you include Roberts and McCarthy? They where bought in to be apart of the starting XI.

Another point, did we really need to replace players who didn't play at all (amoruso, johnson, gresko)?! :blink:

Answer the man's question. Do you prefer the new boys to the players listed?

Your other point, yes. Squad depth, if you're paying for 'em you may as well have ones that can play.

We had a horrible transfer windoz in my opinion and we will do well to get this squad into the top 10 now. A real shame, huge step forward last season and an equally large step back over the course of the summer.

How exactly, we lost Bellers and Kuqi and Dickov. With the exception of Bellers we did more than enought to cover those two leaving, ah screw it, why bother. Let's see where we go, then you can tell me we had a horrible window.

Is Bellamy the step forward and back you are referring to or is there more?

Edited by USABlue

Answer the man's question. Do you prefer the new boys to the players listed?

Your other point, yes. Squad depth, if you're paying for 'em you may as well have ones that can play.

How exactly, we lost Bellers and Kuqi and Dickov. With the exception of Bellers we did more than enought to cover those two leaving, ah screw it, why bother. Let's see where we go, then you can tell me we had a horrible window.

Is Bellamy the step forward and back you are referring to or is there more?

I don't think we made huge leap forwards last season in the transfer window, but things clicked and we had a bit of luck and then put ourselves in a position where we could really improve, we faield to do so. Maybe we'll get lucky again, but based on the fact that teams rarely have two seasons where they finish above where their squad would get them on paper and the fact that all the teams around us improved more than we did, I would say that it is unlikely and we will now have a harder task to get back to that position then we did in trying to stay there.

I don't think we made huge leap forwards last season in the transfer window, but things clicked and we had a bit of luck and then put ourselves in a position where we could really improve, we faield to do so. Maybe we'll get lucky again, but based on the fact that teams rarely have two seasons where they finish above where their squad would get them on paper and the fact that all the teams around us improved more than we did, I would say that it is unlikely and we will now have a harder task to get back to that position then we did in trying to stay there.

so rovers finished 6th out of luck! come off it! :blink:

Looked at the league table this am, sort of puts things in a bit of perspective. Portsmouth, who we played poorly against and got hammered are second and have yet to concede. Everton, we drew with at home, are third and have thumped both Spurs and Liverpool. Chelsea, who we lost to but deserved something from the game are fourth.

Is there really any need for all the negativity yet. We are on the same points as Arse, are their fans fearing the drop?

Looked at the league table this am, sort of puts things in a bit of perspective. Portsmouth, who we played poorly against and got hammered are second and have yet to concede. Everton, we drew with at home, are third and have thumped both Spurs and Liverpool. Chelsea, who we lost to but deserved something from the game are fourth.

Is there really any need for all the negativity yet. We are on the same points as Arse, are their fans fearing the drop?

Negativity is the fare of the day. Two bad performances from 4 matches. We were thrashed on one and came out with a point in the other. I took the Everton tie hard because it was a late goal, but it WAS a good performance. And if we can turn Man City over, then we will have the same amount of points in the same amount of matches as last year. I'm not ready to send the boys down, but any more performances like the one against Sheff Utd and I'll be VERY disappointed.

I don't think anyone's happy that Rovers didn't address the midfield question, and I was one who was really hoping for any one of Petrov, Grav or Steed (in that order). All three however left because of issues outside of our control, ultimately. Fulham got a mid-fielder and cash for Steed who probably would have been our top earner by a fair bit. Gravesen would have been nice but with him and Savage, where would the creativity come from? And with Petrov, sure we made overtures for him earlier and probably could have gotten him but when O'Neill signed with Villa it was over and done with.

Disappointed we didn't come away with anything for the mid-field but I'm not damning the club for their "lack of ambition". Hughesy made it work last year and damnit, he'll make it work this year!!!

I prefer to look at it from a glass half full perspective - rather than the somebody has nicked my glass perspective that many on this board seem to.

Midfield players we signed during the close season - Tugay, Reid, Emerton (granted playing RB at mo) & MGP.

It has been a worrying start - but probably more because expectations were so high.

With the exception of Bellamy we retained the team that got us to sixth last year. Remember also that Bellamy only played half of the matches.

We have added four new forwards (one European Cup Winner, one ex-£13m, one ex £8m and one who had an excellent season in the Prem last season), one Dutch World Cup centre half, cover for Brad and cover for Nelsen.

We desperately need at least one of the forwards to start justifying their previous reputations - but if they don't I wouldn't view that as being Hughes fault. After all many on here actually wanted McCarthy to Bellamy last season - this season we have him and all people can do is moan.

On balance we are stronger - not much - but enough to hope that a top half finish is achievable.

I think part of the problem is our start to the season we have had but also you can't deny we were fed a bit of PR from Hughes saying he would bring players in who would take us to 'another level'. Also there is the logical notion that finishing 6th should bring in greater pulling power.

Personally I think we would have brought in all of our signings regardless of where we finished last season (obviously not if we were relegated). Roberts said UEFA cup was a big draw for him but the fact is we still pay bigger wages outside the top clubs (in this case we were directly against Charlton for his services).

There has obviously been a reality check over the summer and also we have to accept that we probably have missed out on a lot of our targets. We would not be the only club in the Prem who has been unsuccessful in strengthening their squad.

Overall, I think deep down Hughes would admit this summer has been a failure for us with regards to bringing players in. There is the Mido saga which lasted far too long, Bellamy leaving, dithering over Roberts until we had to make an approach because Charlton were in talks. Hughes has said himself this summer was more about trying to keep our players and that it took a lot of time and resilence from himself and the board.

On the other side of it you can say that Hughes has brought in 3 of his long-term targets. He has been interested in McCarthy, Nonda and Oiijer for over a year so he must be pretty sure of their qualities. Time will tell how good they will be.

so rovers finished 6th out of luck! come off it! :blink:

I think a lot of luck is involved. There wasn't much between us and a host of other sides, we had luck in the fact that we didn't have too many serious injuries and that the team clicked. I'm not saying that we didn't deserve it, but we had a fair bit of luck in getting there which we may not have this season (already the Nelsen injury has made us rush into adding to the squad).

I think a lot of luck is involved. There wasn't much between us and a host of other sides, we had luck in the fact that we didn't have too many serious injuries and that the team clicked. I'm not saying that we didn't deserve it, but we had a fair bit of luck in getting there which we may not have this season (already the Nelsen injury has made us rush into adding to the squad).

in regards to luck, all teams have good and bad luck.

rovers finished 6th due to their planning and application.

TEDDY Sheringham will be offered the chance to remain a Premiership player by joining Blackburn Rovers.

The oldest player to appear in the Premiership will be 41 next April but that has not deterred Rovers boss Mark Hughes from making a move for the former Manchester United striker.

Sunday Mirror

TEDDY Sheringham will be offered the chance to remain a Premiership player by joining Blackburn Rovers.

The oldest player to appear in the Premiership will be 41 next April but that has not deterred Rovers boss Mark Hughes from making a move for the former Manchester United striker.

Sunday Mirror

:lol::lol: that just can't be true...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.