BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England Games

I can see why there's no topic about these basically pointless games. But I thought I'd start one anyway.

I feel sorry for the teams like Andorra who have to be continuely embrassed every time they play a game. As mentioned a number of times it would be much better if the smaller countries had to do a pre-qualifying round before the get into the proper qualifying round. It would make much more sense and would mean fewer fixtures and no more pointless game like the one we witnessed today.

Anyway back on the England topic, a good performance and the McClaren era seems to be looking rather exicting, well at least compared to Sven's.

Edited by grizfoot

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did they bother having the Andorra game at Old Trafford?

It's obvious we'd never sell out the game there so why not have it at a smaller venue? Guess our cow shed end rules out Rovers for an international...

That said, they played at Pride Park and even Portman Road once (unless I'm mistaken) so why not Ewood?

Probably because it means it doesnt have to be in London, and because theres very few grounds that could have coped with 56000 who did want to go without having to struggle for tickets.

56000 is very nearly double our capacity. Don't know about you but I cannot see any sense in chucking away something in the region of 750 grand.

Anyway thanks to our myopic council (and despite paying exhorbitant council tax to BWD) parking is simply not allowed anywhere near Ewood Park on a match day. So why should the chance of our small TOWN for once showing off and staging a prestigious international interfere with their TJ Hughes / council house / benefit grabbing / boozebuster with chips n gravy for tea mentallity?

Peter Crouch's form is hopefully putting Michael Owen's talents into perspective.

Whenever anyone has the audacity to doubt Owen's credentials as England first teamer, his goal record is brought up and used as proof of his indispensable ability. Similarly, Beckham's assists and occasional crucial goal were apparently evidence that England could not cope without him on the right - despite his predictable lack of form in tournaments.

Well Crouch's goal record, over less games, is better than Owen's and I think we can see now that scoring goals at international level is not reserved for the creme de la creme of world football. It's about being a good striker, who has the luxury of a run of games in the starting eleven and has the chance of building some confidence with some goals. That's how players like Pauleta have etched amazing international goal scoring feats into the record books without being truly world class.

I would not be surprised if Jermaine Defoe starts scoring regularly for England now that he's off the mark and is expected to be first choice alongside Crouch. Imo a confident Jermaine Defoe rivals Michael Owen for talent. Owen is more clinical but Defoe has more skill, better at linking play and can score from long range.

Slightly off topic, but can anyone make a recommendation of where to watch Wednesday's match in the Centre of the Universe (ie Chorley, specifically Astley Village)?

I'm over here for a week looking after my parents cats - exciting life I lead - and they don't have Sky Sports.

It's been many a year since I last went into Chorley town centre drinking, and wouldn't know where to avoid and where is good. Ideally would like a fairly non-smokey pub, buit beggars can't be choosers. Had thought of going to Blues Bar but that would mean a fairly hefty taxi fee back, or limited alcohol.

Edited by Modi

Modi-DO NOT GO in Last Orders on Market Street- It's like a soup kitchen, but with booze.

A lot of pubs have stopped having big screens now for some reason, but , depending on your age I would suggest if your under 25 then go to Harrys Bar on St Georges St, they should have the projector screen on. Over 25 ish, there is a 50 inch TV and a nice 42 inch plasma in Sams Bar, opposite the railway station, round the corner from the bus station. Lager £1.80 a pint, hand pulled bitter at £1.60 and bottles of Perroni for £2.00. Thats were i should be.

As for Astley Village, the last time I went in The Barrons Rest, TVs had not been invented in Chorley.

As for non-smoking, forget it. No chance.

56000 is very nearly double our capacity. Don't know about you but I cannot see any sense in chucking away something in the region of 750 grand.

Anyway thanks to our myopic council (and despite paying exhorbitant council tax to BWD) parking is simply not allowed anywhere near Ewood Park on a match day. So why should the chance of our small TOWN for once showing off and staging a prestigious international interfere with their TJ Hughes / council house / benefit grabbing / boozebuster with chips n gravy for tea mentallity?

After seeing all the empty seats I didn't think it would've been anywhere near 56,000 on the ground. There was only 45,000 on for the Greece game however.

As for Ewood...the locals go barmy when anyone so much as parks on their street for a Rovers match so I guess they'd be a bit touchy for a England match too!

Modi-DO NOT GO in Last Orders on Market Street- It's like a soup kitchen, but with booze.

It's still an improvement on the new Scottish pub in Blackburn...The Flying Haggis! :D

A lot of pubs have stopped having big screens now for some reason, but , depending on your age I would suggest if your under 25 then go to Harrys Bar on St Georges St, they should have the projector screen on. Over 25 ish, there is a 50 inch TV and a nice 42 inch plasma in Sams Bar, opposite the railway station, round the corner from the bus station. Lager £1.80 a pint, hand pulled bitter at £1.60 and bottles of Perroni for £2.00. Thats were i should be.

As for Astley Village, the last time I went in The Barrons Rest, TVs had not been invented in Chorley.

As for non-smoking, forget it. No chance.

If it's no-smoking pubs you want you will have to come to Scotland. The law there has recently been changed to No Smoking in Any Public Place. Wonderful! Clean air at last!

I met/stood next to Statto (Angus Loughran)who had been at Old Trafford for the footie, and was on his way to Horwich (Reebox Stadium) to do the Khan fight last night. Dismissed Englands opponents as a `pub team`.

But not the Faroe Isles of course! Let's see now? Oh, yes; they are probably at least as good as a conference side's reserves. :lol:

Dismissed Englands opponents as a `pub team`.

Don't need to know lots of stats to come up with that assessment!

btw might be wrong but I bet statto's never kicked a ball in anger in this born life. He is however a fairly regular visitor to Ewoods Royal Box.

Peter Crouch's form is hopefully putting Michael Owen's talents into perspective.

Whenever anyone has the audacity to doubt Owen's credentials as England first teamer, his goal record is brought up and used as proof of his indispensable ability. Similarly, Beckham's assists and occasional crucial goal were apparently evidence that England could not cope without him on the right - despite his predictable lack of form in tournaments.

Well Crouch's goal record, over less games, is better than Owen's and I think we can see now that scoring goals at international level is not reserved for the creme de la creme of world football. It's about being a good striker, who has the luxury of a run of games in the starting eleven and has the chance of building some confidence with some goals. That's how players like Pauleta have etched amazing international goal scoring feats into the record books without being truly world class.

I would not be surprised if Jermaine Defoe starts scoring regularly for England now that he's off the mark and is expected to be first choice alongside Crouch. Imo a confident Jermaine Defoe rivals Michael Owen for talent. Owen is more clinical but Defoe has more skill, better at linking play and can score from long range.

I'm sorry but Owen's record stands any test you care to throw at it, including crucial competitive matches against World Class opposition. I think you should put Crouch's record into perspective. His England goals have come against

Uruguay

Hungary

Jamaica

Trinidad

Greece

Andorra

It's not his fault - you can only compete with what is put in front of you. However, there's only one team on that list of any merit. When he has scored his fair share against quality teams then I think you can start lauding him.

England should score a bagful Macedonia have a girl in goals !!! Jane Nikoloski

Well they need to shape up if we're gonna score a bagful!!

It's really silly at work when England play - people put on the most rediculous bets

'England to win 10-3'

'£50 on England 7-0'

'England to score 13 or more goals'

:blink:

Edited by cn174

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.