SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sheffield United 0 Blackburn Rovers 0

ihtd

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bloody odd thing. I can never understand why Brad ever attracted criticism. Even on a poor day he is still the best keeper that has played for us in the past half century.

If I have to explain then you still would not understand, hashed it all out a million times before. Fundamentals. He has improved dramatically since Sparky's team arrived if you can't see that then.... Or your easy option, just figure that I don't know a monkeys. ;)

:huh:

How can Fridel attract critism? Hes been one of our most consitant players for years :tu: hes a quality player and very rarely has a bad game ;)

Having seemingly joined only recently you will have missed my points (make that opinions). Yeah golden boy our Brad.

BBC's Garth Crooks has named Schwarzer as his keeper in the Team of the Week. Must admit I have seen nothing of his performance, but surely Friedel has to be in for the two penalty saves, even if he didnt touch the ball again all game?!

Can anyone enlighten me as to whether I have my blue and white tinted contact lenses in again, or is Crooks still the BBC's numpty, "token" pundit he always has been?

Fundamentals. He has improved dramatically since Sparky's team arrived if you can't see that then....

At the end of the 2002-2003 season (under Souness) Friedal was named in the Premiership representative team. Imo Sparky has improved the team and the defence more than the keeper.

The only thing about Brad that I cannot fathom is why he was so poor at Liverpool.

What confuses me as well, Drog, is how a keeper could possibly survive at the level Brad has with poor "fundamentals". He can catch, save shots, kick reasonable well, do well in one-on-ones. They seem pretty fundamental to me. In fact, the only thing I can think of that worries me is that he seems reluctant to come off his line sometimes. But, as I just said, his record at saving one-on-ones is pretty decent so he could well be justified there.

At the end of the 2002-2003 season (under Souness) Friedal was named in the Premiership representative team. Imo Sparky has improved the team and the defence more than the keeper.

The only thing about Brad that I cannot fathom is why he was so poor at Liverpool.

Young inexperienced, 26 year old keeper, thrown in at the deep end after playing 38 games for Columbus Crew, USA: A bit like signing a player from the conference.

Hope I've not offended our American friends, but it was 1997, when the USA werent exactly a hot bed for developing footballers (translates to soccer players)

Maybe that is also why he lacks as Bellamy states "fundamentals"

Interesting match reports below..... I have quoted some of the People report....

Sunday Mirror

People report

Hughes' tactical thinking used to be spot on with the way he instructed his players to go to war.

Winning every little battle on the pitch and becoming the most hated team in the Premiership along the way suited him fine.

But it's always good to have a Plan B - and that seems to have been forgotten as his battlers have turned into clumsy scufflers

Young inexperienced, 26 year old keeper, thrown in at the deep end after playing 38 games for Columbus Crew, USA: A bit like signing a player from the conference.

He had numerous caps for the USA, was involved in the World Cup squad and had played in Europe for both Brondby and (more significantly) Galatasaray. Hardly inexperienced.

If I remember rightly, Friedel was missing from the majority if Liverpool squads on match days because they already had 3 more important none-EU players in the sixteen...a ruling which has since been abolished.

Not read the full thread but I am very concerned regarding our lack of creating any goal threatening chances !! I have watched the chelsea and sheff u games on tv but McCarthy as just not been at the races he seems a lazy player doesn't look like he is up for the battle and pedersen sorry gamst I would have hauled him off when he hit is umpteenth corner at the front man - can we have pedersen back his twin brother gamst is not patch on the player we had last season !

All in all bar the ref interfering last 20mins it made for dreadful viewing. I presume the ref was as bored as the rest and decided to spice things up a bit.

1 goal in 4 games paints its own story

Not read the full thread but I am very concerned regarding our lack of creating any goal threatening chances !! I have watched the chelsea and sheff u games on tv but McCarthy as just not been at the races he seems a lazy player doesn't look like he is up for the battle and pedersen sorry gamst I would have hauled him off when he hit is umpteenth corner at the front man - can we have pedersen back his twin brother gamst is not patch on the player we had last season !

All in all bar the ref interfering last 20mins it made for dreadful viewing. I presume the ref was as bored as the rest and decided to spice things up a bit.

1 goal in 4 games paints its own story

The lack of goal threat/shots on target tells its own story but I join in with the comments that Jeffers probably had the most effective 90 minutes on the pitch in the last 24 months. He was actually unlucky to come away without a goal.

Short run-up penalties look super cool when they come off but the taker looks an almighty pratt when they don't.

That apart, I could not fault Lucas for attitude or application in any way at Bramall Lane - a massive improvement compared with his approach at Pompey.

The problem for me is that if McCarthy can't/won't got his arse into gear with the sun on his back in September what can we expect in the winter months?

Hughes needs to give our 'starman' a good kick up the arse. It's fair enough if a player gives 110% every week, but players that have all the talent but not the desire aren't what we're needing right now. :angry:

i cant believe all these doom and gloom merchants kicking up panic. there were a few sat near me on saturday, i got through to them in the end. :D

funnily enough, they never seemed top watch the game, they were more interested in winding up the sheff utd fans.

on the game itself, all that was lacking was our final ball.

pedersen was awful. it amazed me that he wasnt replaced , as we had sergio and gally on the bench.

however, having a bad game didnt stop him trying to score from EVERY CORNER. :angry:

i still need convincing over ooijer. he was out muscled too often (one 1st half slip shouldve been punished, but hulse missed a sitter). i'm bemused as to how he fails to get any power into his defensive headers, he nods clear giving possession back to the opposition. :huh:

friedels display.... i cant pay tribute in words! :tu:

i was encouraged by jeffers' display. he looked lively and made several clever runs.

tugay was fantastic. we look a much better side when he's orchestrating.

nonda will be a huge asset when he gets up to speed. he's a beast and makes kuqi look puny!

i was dumfounded by dean's refereeing. sheff utd mounted pressure in the last 15 mins and it was wholly down to his rank bad decisions. neither 3 were pens. dean and his assistants should be banished to league 2 for a few wks (at the very least).

i'm perplexed as to why we are the only team to get punished over this 'new' holding rule.

there seems to be a conspiracy against us. we've only had 4 games and 3 of them have been dominated by astonishing refereeing decisions.

i can only deduce ---- town teams are not wanted in the premiership. :angry:

message to the whingers is.... do you not remember the start to last season ? we won 1 out of 6 and were playing 1 man up and going nowhere.

things can change quickly in football and there's a long way to go.

Pleasure you do make a good point about last season, and it's true that similarly we werent hitting the back of the net last year too at this stage. However it is a concern-1 goal in 4 games is pathetic whichever way you wnat to look at it...and Glenn Roeder is getting stick from the media because they've only scored 3 from 3 games!!!

Pleasure you do make a good point about last season, and it's true that similarly we werent hitting the back of the net last year too at this stage. However it is a concern-1 goal in 4 games is pathetic whichever way you wnat to look at it...and Glenn Roeder is getting stick from the media because they've only scored 3 from 3 games!!!

i agree the record looks poor, but that's been down to a lack of creativity from the midfield. it'll all change when ped returns to form, reid to fitness and with the maestro returning. bentley is also improving with every game and is starting to look a threat.

i think the strikers we have will score once chances are created.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.