BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match review: Rovers 4 Man City 2

rover6

Defensively we look absolutely shambolic. Ooijer clearly hasn't adjusted yet and both and Zurab need to practise communicating with each other and teh rest of the team. This is not helped by our right back being completely unaccustomed to the role. Bert is not the answer to our full back woes.

That said, we have signed Henchoz who as soon as he is fit should slot in very nicely at centre half. Zurab to full back and we are laughing.

Going forward, I thought that Nonda looked very sharp, as did Petersen and Bentley. Tugay was clearly tired - two games in three days is clearly too much for the old timer now. Taking him off was the right thing t do, althoug I must confess to being a little retiscent when the Axe came on, but he was flawless second half. Bentley and Petersen look a real threat with their pace, crossing and range of passsing. Not sure if Reid will automatically slot back in.

McCarthy has now bagged three in 5 games. That is what we needed. He and Zonda could well do a lot of damage when settled. I also thought that Jeffers had a few moments in the first half.

On the whole, a good result, and promising going forward. Henchoz and Nelson would however both be very welcome additions to the team right now.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the defensive problems revolve around communication, neither Ouijer nor Zurab seem to be talkative players. Ouijer was all over the place yesterday, didn't seem to know where he should be in relation to the rest of the team. I imagine either Nelsen or Todd alongside him would have sorted this. This raises a question about Neill's captaincy, on pitch he should sorting it out, if he can't see the problem of two centre backs not communicating he should not be captain. I happily ranted at Ouijer yesterday when he scored, in fact I'd have driven him home to Holland but we must give him a chance if Todd and Gray are finished. What about McEveley, Neill, Zurab/Ouijer, Emerton?

After backing Ooijer in another thread saying that he'll come good it's only fair to hold my hand up and say that he had another bad game again yesterday. The centre halves aren't doing the business and as Paul has said they don't seem to be communicating. You could drop either Zurab or Ooijer for me - take your pick. If Todd's out of the picture then maybe Henchoz will be the answer? Doesn't really inspire me with much confidence mind.

I agree with most of the comments about yesterday's game, my summary:

Friedel: Usual legend

Bert: Seems caught in 2 minds all the time, looked good going forward, spotted Gallagher v well for the 4th, I'd prefer to see him back at RM, I'd suspect he would rather be their too.

Lucas: A mixture of good and woeful

Both centre halves had a mare, no one took charge, rather Lucas played there than either or both of the current ones.

MGP: Much improved

Bentley: As above

Tuug's: Tired, needed to come off, give posession away too cheaply

Sav: Same old, worked tirelessly and still trying to get forward, kept bollocking Lucas about the back 4, spot on!

Jeffers: Too lightweight for me, created 1 good chance (After wasting 2 others) Glad he came off

Benni: Excellent WHEN he gets decent service, too many runs not spotted, diff. man when he scored, all about confidence

Axe: Excellent for me, did exactly what it said on the tin, v good sub by Hughes

Nonda: Like this guy, doesn't look fit yet, not sharp but made some good runs and made more impact by jeffers when he was warming up, linked up with Benni & Bert well.

Overall: If we can resolve some form of defence (Sharpish) looks good.

Apart from being shambolic defensively yesterday my main concern was how the ball never stuck when it was played in to the front two and it wasn't like some of the balls were difficult to deal with either. Too many times we brought pressure on ourselves by a poor first touch or a lack of movement into space.

There are those on here who say that the quality of service McCarthy gets is poor. I strongly disagree. I believe if he spent more time in the danger area (as with the goal) he'd get his rewards as the crosses from both sides are starting to get there. For me, it's his movement, or lack of it, that is the problem, even Jeffers looked sprightly alongside him at times.

A good three points nonetheless and if defensive frailties can be ironed out the only way is up.

Pleased with the win-don't get me wrong. We needed the 3 points so badly, so therefore the performance should really be irrelevant....BUT as others have said, it doesn't take a genious to work out that our defence is an absoloute shambles at the moment. What is it with ooijer and Zura? They're obviously not bad players: Ooijer is deemed good enough to play in the Champions League and the Dutch first eleven week in week out, and Zura proved last season that despite the odd handball/penalty he is a good enough defender. Is it language problems? Is it that their just not vocal enough to help each other out? Are the full backs not giving them enough support? Should the midfield have tracked Bartons numerous runs?

I really don't know what it is but one thing is ceertain and that is communication is a huge issue between our centre halves at present. After their shwoing yesterday I honestly don't know if we can just keep playing the pair of them in the hope that they sort it out eventually. I really think that Todd is the only answer at the moment as I really don't think that Henchoz will prove to be good enough...then again anything is better than these clowns at the back right now.

From the highlights on Footie First it looks as if it was a little harsh to take Jeffers off as the team were all over the shop, and he even had 1 good effort that sailed just wide. Nonda did look good though, so a strikeforce of Nonda/McCarthy with Jeffers keeping them on their toes will hopefuly be good enough to get the goals at boro-to make up for the one's we'll let in at the back!!

Oh and finally as good as he looked and is, Bentley is our very own Robben and Diouf-that dive before Nonda's header was a classic.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

A couple pf posts mentioned the worry over the crowd of 18,400 for a City game.I` ve been delving into the archives and came up with these figures for various fixtures in September over the years. Last year the match with Newcastle attracted 21,000 where about 5,000 were Geordies.In 2004, 21,000 watched the game against Portsmouth who brought about 1,000; interestingly in 2003 after losing 3-1 in UEFA Cup 22,000 watched the match against Fulham.I know that stats can prove any point but the evidence does suggest that we have "lost" some 5-6000 fans.

However, further back shows that in 1996 27,000 watched Rovers draw with Everton where Donis scored a great goal.In 1986, the score was Rovers 0 v. 2 Palace in front of 5,921!! which the paper referred to as an encouraging gate.The crowd yesterday was very low for a derby game and even City fans didnt seem up for it as they normally do but an average of less than 20,000 seems on the cards this season.

The only thing that worrys me about jeffers is that he doesn't seem to score. He has the awareness and ability to get into dangerous and goal scoring positions but just fails to do anything when he gets there.

Not a bad signing for free and i think there is alot of potential there for hughes to work with.

Can someone please explain why Nonda is nicknamed Chris? (ref. rovers.co.uk)

His middle name is Christophe.

The only thing that worrys me about jeffers is that he doesn't seem to score.

That made me smile :)

Well, that's me not posting in the Previews thread before a game, Rovers have lost everytime I have! Didn't for the last two two games, and hey presto, we haven't lost.

Good to finally get the three points and bag a few goals to pad the goal difference a bit, but we've still conceded 4 goals in two games. Not seen the highlights but going by the reports off here, if we can shore up the defence, and general play, like we did in the second half then we have every chance of climbing the table, especially as it's still close this early on.

Still, it's always good to look down on the Spuds and Liverpool in the table :D

looks like i'm being proved right on ooijer (and, honestly, that gives me no pleasure).

he's harming our chances of a good start. he seems to set the rest of the defence on edge. no communication, poor position play, slack marking and slow at anticipating danger.

it's not entirely the guy's fault. he should've been bedded in slowly.

could've easily been 6-2 down, but were much better in the 2nd half, thanks ,in the main, to the inspired substitutions.

the axe subdued the influential Barton (wish we'dve got him!) and nonda offered a real physical presence (he'll terrorise defences when he's fully fit) and gally proved once again that he's an instinctive finisher and an ideal sub.

our luck was in yesterday and thankfully we capitalised. judging by the players' reaction at the final whistle, i reckon the win will galvanise us and i fully expect us to turn boro over on saturday.

sunday 17th september- the turning point!

looks like i'm being proved right on ooijer (and, honestly, that gives me no pleasure).

he's harming our chances of a good start. he seems to set the rest of the defence on edge. no communication, poor position play, slack marking and slow at anticipating danger.

although i think Oojier needs dropping ASAP, he is a Dutch international, how would you have been proven right, have you seen him play badly before he joined Blackburn or just basing this on first couple of games

pleasure, if you look at both of their goals yesterday. the 1st one could really be blamed on anybody, other than the strikers and brad. you can blame the midfielders for not tracking barton's run, but then again you could blame either of the centre half's for allowing him to run right through the middle of the defence. the 2nd one, well that is just one of those things. the cross came over and rather than let the ball go past him without any effort. he tried to clear it and ended up slicing it past brad.....where i would much rather him make an effort to clear the ball, than not at all.

so to say that he has no communication, poor position play, slack marking and slow at anticipating danger - you should really say that all of our defenders at the moment cause in every game we have played, it looks like we have been cut to shreds at the back.

The first goal was the sign of a defense not yet sure of itself. Three stepped up and Emerton didn't, playing Barton onside. It isn't unusual to have these sort of problems given the fact that 3 of the players are either new or in a new position, but we do need to sort it out soon.

so to say that he has no communication, poor position play, slack marking and slow at anticipating danger - you should really say that all of our defenders at the moment cause in every game we have played, it looks like we have been cut to shreds at the back.

Ouijer's problems are not being caused by him being a poor player but all of the above from pleasure was true yesterday.

Communication ~ There isn't a natural leader in our defence at the moment, Todd or Nelsen do that. So the problem is there is no communication across the whole defence. Neill is captain and the senior pro, he should be getting to grips with this. Ouijer clearly does not understand at present and needs to be told.

Poor position ~ he was badly out of position on several occassions yesterday, you could drive a bus through the holes he left. Perhaps this is again communication.

Slack marking/anticipation ~ perhaps his style is to stand off but this only works if he has good anticipation and is quick to close down his man which doesn't seem to be the situation right now

I think Ouijer can be a good player for us but he's having a torrid time settling in. I doubt Sparky would play him every game if Todd and/or Nelsen where available.

pleasure, if you look at both of their goals yesterday. the 1st one could really be blamed on anybody, other than the strikers and brad. you can blame the midfielders for not tracking barton's run, but then again you could blame either of the centre half's for allowing him to run right through the middle of the defence. the 2nd one, well that is just one of those things. the cross came over and rather than let the ball go past him without any effort. he tried to clear it and ended up slicing it past brad.....where i would much rather him make an effort to clear the ball, than not at all.

i shouldve made it clear, i wasnt refering to the goals and dont blame andre for either. there's no denying he was shambolic from the start.

ooijer is not sure of himself and, as a consequence, the rest of the defence dont have any confidence in him. i'm not saying he is the only one to make mistakes, but he's the main reason for the defensive frailties.

i do have some sympathy for him, but the mistakes he's making are basic. this baffles me somewhat, as he is not lacking in age or experience.

whether or not Ooijer turns out to be a good player is anyones "guess" pleasure may be right now or in few weeks someone will message him telling him how wrong he is, any experience posters have seen it all before so many times.

All i hope is that Hughes does not fav him just because he bought him for 2 million and wants to prove a point, and that he plays the best players, whether thats Todd, Ooijer or Henchoz.

whether or not Ooijer turns out to be a good player is anyones "guess" pleasure may be right now or in few weeks someone will message him telling him how wrong he is, any experience posters have seen it all before so many times.

All i hope is that Hughes does not fav him just because he bought him for 2 million and wants to prove a point, and that he plays the best players, whether thats Todd, Ooijer or Henchoz.

chris, on friday i stated that i believe rovers are far more secure, with todd at the back. my critisism of ooijer isnt a vendetta. it's based soley on his displays for rovers.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.