SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match review: Rovers 4 Man City 2

rover6

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this game exposed the negative side of Tugay. we need someone who can pass but can defend. I don't think Mokoena's the answer although he may yet prove me wrong.

agreed, rover6.

i'm one of tugay's biggest admirers, but he was massively exposed yesterday (defensively).

he'll always struggle when the oposition play a 5 in midfield and he just couldnt cope with bartons runs.

the big question is- where's the creativity going to come from when he's not in the side ?

for what it's worth, i think bentley should be given a chance at centre mid, in HOME games.

Tugay looked very tired from Thursday night. Not a surprise, surely?

Whatever the behind the scenes situation with Todd and Gray, Ooijer really needs time to adjust to the pace of the Prem. That said, both himself AND Zurab are guilty time and time again of hanging off players. For one corner yesterday, both of them jumped with their arms around City players. Whats all that about? Especially seeing as we've given away two penalties already this year for the same offence.

Nonda looks very promising, and the win was much appreciated. Forward from this? Hopefully everyone (especially Ooijer :) ) will take confidence from this.

Pleased with the win yesterday. I was amazed that defensively we looked so fragile. Every time they attacked in the first half they ran right through us. Hughesy called it right bringing Mokoena on and giving them a right good rollicking at half time. Glad Benni scored but he frustrated me when we under pressure and looking for an outlet to hold the ball he constantl tried stupid little flicks instead of keeping hold of the ball.

Impressed with Nonda, obviously he needs a few games to catch up on fitness but looks promising.

Did anyone see Savage laughing with the fans on the Riverside when fouled near the touchline, went down holding knee and after a minute or so gave Riverside a little smile and laugh - class!

Just thinking of songs for players and I think an adaptation of the Ram Jam classic could work quite well for Benni McCarthy.

A cracking singalong methinks, and yeah I know it's off topic...sort of.

The PC brigade would love that wouldn't they

There is much debate on our centre half position on here but the main talent of any centre half is not to be a good footballer or good passer but simply to maintain 100% concentration over the entire 90 mins. Hendry made us a lot of money by making his ch partners appear better than they were, and it is well known that Peter Reids biggest mistake at Man City was preferring Keith Curle to him because in his opinion Curle was a better footballer. We all know that Dailly was prone to losing concentration too. We currently are playing two centre halves who although have ability are frequently guilty of lapses and who both desperately need a partner like Hendry to 'manage' them. Whether it be Todd or Henchoz I dont really care but those two must be split up.

Edited by thenodrog

The sooner the Admiral is back the better - he does make sure we keep shape at the back.

Top move by Hughsie to bring on The Axe as we couldnt cope with Bartons runs from midfield.

Ooijer needs to get up to speed. Todd must've had tp stop himself having a little smile when he scored that own goal.

I thought I would leave it 24 hours or so before posting my thoughts on the game.

Defensively we have real problems. I'm not sure it's (all) Ooijer's fault either. As some have mentioned communication seems to be an issue. I would be very tempted to drop Zurab, push Lucas over to centre half with Ooijer and bring back Mickey Gray.

Whilst Ooijer has been awful so far - in the long run he will be an asset. He has the one thing our back line lacks - height. Even the great Nelsen lacks height.

The thing that is worrying me at present is the back line looks like Souness has picked it. It's back to that mentality of 'they are the four best players' so they can be our defence. It requires balance - a defence requires players to fit a system, not a system to fit the players.

Tugay looked tired.

Savage is starting to become consistently good.

Mokoena was fabulous - for me won the game. He broke everthing up.

MGP's poor perfromance was masked by three moments that changed the game.

Mccarthy looks very much like an individual type of player - but with the right partner will be a real bargain.

Nonda raw pace and power - everyone loves that.

According to the press Jeffers played. We miss Roberts.

Hopefully, the three points won't tempt the management to sweep the defensive frailties under the carpet.

There is no chance that we will keep a clean sheet a Middlesboro'.

Don't care if Pedersen plays badly every week if he pops up with goals and assists. It's when he goes missing anddoesn't score that it's a problem. Remember that Irish game where Duff won man of the match for 3 minutes play. Rest of time on pitch he was totally anonymous

It was one of those games where the ends justify the means and we were much improved in the second half after Sparky apparently gave the players the hairdryer treatment at half time. It's difficult to say how much we can read into it though, in the first half we were abysmal and could easily have gone in 5-2 down. And City are an awful side.

Defensively we have real problems. I agree with Den, we need to go back to basics. Last season we had a really solid back line - Neill Todd Nelsen Gray. Now, only one of those changes is enforced, I would stay with three of the original guys and simply slot Zurab in for Nelsen. Or arguably Neill in for Nelsen and Emerton at RB. There's no need to change all four positions around.

In midfield Tugay was so ineffective because he was playing way way too deep, picking the ball up off the centre half"s toes and then being forced to play a 40 or 50 yard ball in order to try and find a man. He should be dictating play from the centre circle or in the first twenty yards of the opponent's half.

Up front McCarthy looked completely disinterested first half, and Jeffers completely out of his depth. Every time we got the ball the two of them moved in diverging directions! The introduction of Nonda was a big improvement in the second half sparking a much more enthusiastic performance out of McCarthy, and Nonda put himself about to great effect, big strong and a definite threat.

Other positives, excellent performance from Mokoena, looked really fired up for it, and as if he really wanted to impress. Good performance from Savage - he was the only one who turned up in the first half - a much improved performance from MGP - even disregarding the goals - and a stunning execution from Gallagher to a difficult knee high volley.

Much improvement still to be made but we did at least show signs for the first time this season after we went 3-2 up that we still remember how to play football.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Maybe I've just got used to MGP being anonymous, but even forgetting the goal(s) thought he was much improved. Just a couple of examples.... 1 - at the start of the second half, Hamann took him out with a pretty awful tackle (he got booked which I thought was pretty lenient) and I thought that was the last we'd see of MGP in the usual way he disappears after a kicking. But no. 2 - a bit later there was a genuine 50/50 ball on about half way, nothing much at stake. In he slid (can't remember who the City player was) and MGP emerged with the ball. Keep him on the raw meat diet Sparky ;) , it's starting to work.

Savage is starting to become consistently good.

Now I didn't see the game midweek in all honesty, all I have seen are the goals. Now maybe i've misinterpreted what your saying and if so I apologise, but it sounds to me as though you are saying Savage has consistentley put in 3 or 4 good performances in a row. In which case I disagree because I thought he was lacklustre at best at Sheffield United.

a much improved performance from MGP - even disregarding the goals.

His goals got us out of jail no question and his set up for McCarthy was brilliant play, but apart from that I really didn't see any conviction from him. He was quiet apart from those periods.

Edited by Travylad

Maybe I've just got used to MGP being anonymous, but even forgetting the goal(s) thought he was much improved. Just a couple of examples.... 1 - at the start of the second half, Hamann took him out with a pretty awful tackle (he got booked which I thought was pretty lenient) and I thought that was the last we'd see of MGP in the usual way he disappears after a kicking. But no. 2 - a bit later there was a genuine 50/50 ball on about half way, nothing much at stake. In he slid (can't remember who the City player was) and MGP emerged with the ball. Keep him on the raw meat diet Sparky ;) , it's starting to work.

It was sinclair, yes, no hiding from MGP in that challenge was there? Sav actually seemed to enjoy playing alongside the axe as well!

Man City were unceremoniously dumped out of the Carling Cup by lowly Chesterfield tonight: a result which will no doubt increase the sense of unease that City fans have about the direction Stuart Pearce is taking the club.

Eight months ago Pearce was being touted as the next England manager. He now finds himself with a fight on his hands to keep his job. City have lost 13 of their last 16 games which is woeful form.

Going back briefly to Sunday's game, the words I would use to describe Rovers' first half display would be shambolic and kamikaze. We could have been 5-2 down at half-time. The marking was atrocious with acres of space in our defence, but I wouldn't just blame the back four. We weren't competing properly in midfield and Joey Barton, the obnoxious scouse thug who likes to poke youth team players in the eye with cigars, was allowed too much time and space to get forward into the box.

Sloppy passing, pandemonium in defence, alleged bust-ups and rows off the pitch (Mr Todd) , players played out of position and chaos and confusion across the pitch - it was rather reminiscent of the Souness regime in the first half.

Hopefully such shambles won't be repeated against Middlesbrough on Saturday.

Just thinking of songs for players and I think an adaptation of the Ram Jam classic could work quite well for Benni McCarthy.

A nice idea Jason, but unfortunately we're living in a country now where black coffee and 'Baa baa, black sheep' are deemed to be racist - so the PC brigade would have a fit with "Whoa, Black Benni, Bam-ba-Lam".

We could ask Paul McGarry to lead the singing .... :)

And get Colin to do some of the vocal harmonies. Just as long as we didn't have the drummers banging away with them Phil. ;)

A nice idea Jason, but unfortunately we're living in a country now where black coffee and 'Baa baa, black sheep' are deemed to be racist - so the PC brigade would have a fit with "Whoa, Black Benni, Bam-ba-Lam".

I was watching TV the other day and they were talking about how most of those examples of the PC brigade are simply made up, particular mention of the ba ba black shep.

... so the PC brigade would have a fit with "Whoa, Black Benni, Bam-ba-Lam".

I didn't realise that was the song you meant (never heard of Ram Jam I'm afraid). As someone who I'm sure AESF would class as part of the infamous "PC brigade" (i.e. anyone who disagrees with his bigotry) I think that would be quite a good song to sing - certainly original. Sadly I expect probably far too original for the Blackburn End and the drummer.

Sadly I expect probably far too original for the Blackburn End and the drummer.

Can you imagine it!! :) It would be a good song and quite original.

.........and his set up for McCarthy was brilliant play,

Surely the brilliant bit about that goal was Nonda's quick thinking in taking the throw-in. I thought all Gamst had to do was get to the box and square it for Benni?

Surely the brilliant bit about that goal was Nonda's quick thinking in taking the throw-in. I thought all Gamst had to do was get to the box and square it for Benni?

Yes Nonda's determination won us that goal and the quick throw-in to set gamst off was quick thinking. But what I mean is I was expecting Gamst to crack it one aimlessly towards the goal to be honest rather than square it. I'm sure many other players would have had a pop, at least he got his head up and realised Benni was there.

Which I thought was intelligent play.

There is much debate on our centre half position on here but the main talent of any centre half is not to be a good footballer or good passer but simply to maintain 100% concentration over the entire 90 mins. Hendry made us a lot of money by making his ch partners appear better than they were, and it is well known that Peter Reids biggest mistake at Man City was preferring Keith Curle to him because in his opinion Curle was a better footballer. We all know that Dailly was prone to losing concentration too. We currently are playing two centre halves who although have ability are frequently guilty of lapses and who both desperately need a partner like Hendry to 'manage' them. Whether it be Todd or Henchoz I dont really care but those two must be split up.

One week on and an 'easy' away victory at Boro threatened yet again by poor concentration. Exactly how can our defence miss a man mountain like Euell standing at the edge of the box with 10 clear yards all around him? Despite some good work overall we got lucky. If we are content to defend 1 goal leads we need to concentrate better at the back.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.