BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Match review: Rovers 4 Man City 2

rover6

So what's all this got to do with Rovers v Man City???

Great to see Rovers up and running again. Obviously concerns about central defence and midfield but it sounds like Mokoena did a great job on Barton which turned the game.

Nonda seems a very promising signing with his speed and direct running whilst Benny grabbed his third of the season in six games. Hope he keeps that ratio up!

And well done Gally.

Not forgetting two goals coming from free kicks- Rovers' work on the training pitch coming good again.

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most open games I've seen at Ewood in a long time....VERY,VERY entertaining!!!! :D

End to end and a real game of two halves with some solid performances from the likes of 'Gamst'(about time) Savage and Emerton.The McCarthy/Nonda partnership could be promising.

Great to see Gallagher score infront of the Blackburn end :rover:

18,400 with about 3,000 from Citeh :o ......VERY WORRYING,PLEASE FFS COME AND SUPPORT THE CLUB!!!!

Reason i attract so many insults is because i speak my mind, or try too!

I didnt personally insult anyone today, i didnt say anything about anyone. I tried to enjoy my teams forst win of the season and it got ruined by a select few.

All i MEANT to say is i worry about select players becoming too good as this will attract the attention that Damien Duff had when he was here and then we will start to loose our best players again.

Maybe i didnt type it in the most correct and well organised way, but i dont think it warrented the torrent of abuse that came soon after.

I tried to explain myself and people tore what i had to say to pieces and didnt even attempt to understand or ask for an explanation of what i had to say. But hey, i guess thats soimehow my fault as well huh?

You critisize players ( namely Oiijer ) , without having even seen the match, Infact you've probably never even seen Oijer play a whole match except for the motd highlights. If your going to slag a player off at least have the courtesy to have watched the entire the match before judging a player, you give people who cant get to the match a bad name with your childish over the top observations. At least other armchairers like Rovers6 post a well constructed and thought out argument, yours are that of a primary school kid let loose on daddys Pc.

Gally showed today thats he an excellent finisher, Im sure he would of at least tested had he had the chance Bentley had at the end.

Also what is it with Bentley shooting every time he gets a sight on goal, he did this at Norwich all the time and never bloody scored.

Edited by wakefieldrawks

the 1st half was nothing but diabolical, i havent seen us play that poor for a long time

2nd we improved A LOT, maybe because we brought another battler on in mokoena or nonda?

anyway, city could have punished us had they taken chances, fortunatly we took ours and came out trumps

18,400 with about 3,000 from Citeh :o ......VERY WORRYING,PLEASE FFS COME AND SUPPORT THE CLUB!!!!

Calm down SG.

Both Rovers and City fans voting with their feet on the ludicrous A+ pricing policy today.

If that ends up in it being scrapped for next season, some good has come out of it.

I know I get pillared for talking about crowds Rev but like you I hope to god the club does realise whats going on and except they have made a big mistake with the pricing,only some 15,000 Rovers fans today......can we realistically carry on at that level?

Fulham at home along with Reading,Charlton......sub 15,000 crowds?

I will have a guess that we dont even break-even on 18,000.

**sigh** :(

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Well, what a strange game. The first thing was how quiet it was an hour before kick-off. No queue in the Red Dragon chippy, didn't see a city fan and barely any Rovers fans. 18,500 - not good at all - where was everyone? In the warm-up shooting practice most of the strikers were hitting some beauties so I thought we might get some goals today. First 15 minutes we looked like it was a practice match. City first to everything and would have been 3-0 if they could shoot. We should have been wearing masks the way we stole 2 goals. Not convinced by Ooijer yet. His positional sense is not good - he follows the ball like Savage. Unfortunately, that leaves huge gaps at the back. Never thought I'd advocate a Mokoena for Tugay substitution but what that did was actually stop Barton running through into the hole where Ooijer should have been and gave us a bit of stability. McCarthy suddenly looked good when he scored - up until that point he'd looked quite average really. Nonda looks like he could become very good too. Overall, second half was a big improvement - although for 10 minutes after half-time the end to end stuff had me really worried. Still - it's a win and that's what matters. Get the confidence back ready for Salzburg and Wigan

You critisize players ( namely Oiijer ) , without having even seen the match, Infact you've probably never even seen Oijer play a whole match except for the motd highlights. If your going to slag a player off at least have the courtesy to have watched the entire the match before judging a player, you give people who cant get to the match a bad name with your childish over the top observations. At least other armchairers like Rovers6 post a well constructed and thought out argument, yours are that of a primary school kid let loose on daddys Pc.

Gally showed today thats he an excellent finisher, Im sure he would of at least tested had he had the chance Bentley had at the end.

Also what is it with Bentley shooting every time he gets a sight on goal, he did this at Norwich all the time and never bloody scored.

Funny how you complain about me in such a manner and then come out with that pile of manure!!

Reason i dont make it to Rovers games is, 1 because im the other side of the country and 2 because im disabled...

I ask the opinion of people who went and look at all the reviews on the net to pass my OPINION!

As for critisising players, i never heard so much rubbish in my life, Ooijer has played poorly at best since he joined us and even MH has virtually said this on the Rovers website. He may improve, all i did was make a joke and you went overboard bigtime!

As for the rest of what you said, it was blatently designed to bring an argument onto the board and im not gonna stoop to your level and respond to any of it... Daddy's computer indeed, for all you know my dad could be dead!! :wstu:

Im not gonna carry on this argument with you as i have already said, so you have a choice, shut up and leave me alone or talk nonsence again and show how childish you really are!!

Ah well... onwards and upwards for the Rovers!!! :brfc::D:P

I know I get pillared for talking about crowds Rev but like you I hope to god the club does realise whats going on and except they have made a big mistake with the pricing,only some 15,000 Rovers fans today......can we realistically carry on at that level?

Fulham at home along with Reading,Charlton......sub 15,000 crowds?

I will have a guess that we we dont even break-even on 18,000.

**sigh** :(

dont think people are protesting about cat . games its just too expensive and coverage of footy is saturated .

everton(usally sell out there allocation ) city too and chelsea supposed to be this big massive monster and dont bring many fans...worrying times...is footy as we know it about to explode and go tits up?

how we ended up winning i dont know we should of been 5 down in first 20 mins...but hell i will take the points.

I'll admit I haven't been able to watch any of our recent games, but from reading match reports: how often do Bentley and Savage get kicked?? I seem to read "Player X fouls Bentley/Savage" multiple times per match report. And a shocking stat from the official website match report, in the last two games we have scored off of four free kicks all won by Bentley being fouled. Guess I can't complain too much about that!

Ecstatic about the scoreline tonight, still worried about our defence, but I like how Hughes put the game on its head with his tactics, renews my confidence in Sparky. Pedersen involved with 3 of the goals, quite an improvement on recent games. Delighted that Gallagher got a goal... and I agree, Ooijer has been extremely unlucky as of late... I'm far from convinced, but I'm willing to give him some more games.

YEAAAH ROVERS, made my weekend!

I'll take the points but we really were quite lucky today. But confidence must be high now after the last couple of results which can only make us play better in the next game away to Boro (which is a game we should be confident of getting something from).

And Mokoena actually played very well for once in a position where he could come in handy. So there you go rovers6, thats why Hughes keeps on selecting him in his 16.

Btw- dont like to be negative and my post does seem to be on the negative side, so I'll just say, t'was a cracking match and worth the money i paid!

Edited by greggyk

Woeful first half and we did not deserve to level at half time.

Second half total change around. Mokonea played well, we actually won some headers, and the team seemed to grow in self belief.

Also like to say, another good performance from Emerton. Just wish Bentley would link up a bit better with him and the right side would look very impressive.

It certainly is worring Abbey and Rovers being the small town club they are are going to take the brunt full on the nose.We were getting bigger crowds during the Div 1 days not so long ago.

It is a worry SG, but it's affecting all clubs. City used to bring 8000 to Ewood - today they didn't even open the top tier. I said last week that they have lost 5000 supporters of their own.

While the top sides are filling their grounds, nothing will happen. :angry:

I shall wait for the Highlights before trying to say anything which may sound constructive.

But at least we have got win No.1 underway and we proved we can win matches which hang in the balance.

Good to see some good substitutions paying off in Nonda and Mokoena coming on.

Nice to see Benni on a little goal scoring streak and Gamst finally proving he isnt just a bit part player and is important to the team in getting us those vital goals.

I think the Rovers character will now shine through and we can now get our season underway.

Oh i nearly forgot...

Excellant to see Hughes finally show some faith in Gally and lets hope we see him feature more. We need youngsters like him and we need to hughes give them more of a chance.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.