BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Play-offs 89

I remember we had been on holiday in Cornwall that week and i had to leave Newquay at the crack of dawn to get the train to London and then after the match go back alone to my in-laws in Bristol to catch up with the rest of the family. I think I was just in complete shock all night and hardly said a word to anyone. The boys couldn't work out waht was wrong with me (although they probably would understand now).

Palace; Afterwards we yo yo,d up and the leagues,sold ian wright, got an italian legend down here for a season and abit,only managed to develop one stand,went pretty much extinct until we got saved by jordan,went back to the premier but fell down due to a manager who was expose as being abit of a pleb.

Blackburn; Afterwards went on to get promotion, buy one of the nations most legendary strikers in shearer,won the league,developed 4 sides to there stadium,played in europe a couple of times,went down but recovered rather well and are now carrying on with their mission to grow as a club.

:unsure:

Well, there's your answers. I very much doubt if any football fan anwhere in the world has posted a question on another team's site and has received such comprehensive and honest replies. brfcs.co.uk is wonderful.

I'd just like to add that as much as I admired Iam Wright as a player..........

Don't worry about us and our long term grudges.

Give it a couple of years and discussion will change to how we should spend the Shearer (Or is that Judas?) money.

I know what you mean, When wright left palace for arsenal, I remember feeling gutted and to top that he scored against us twice on the final day of the season to send us down.He also kissed the arsenal badge when he scored.

Even now when wright talks about his football days he never talks about his time at palace,its always arsenal.

Football fans have long memories John. I don't think it's Palace that people have the hump with, they were just the opposition when Mr Courtney worked his magic. Still, he partially redeemed himself at Wembley in '92 and with hindsight we were better placed for the top flight then.

I have the high-lights of the game at home and they are also on Youtube, It looked like a def pen to me,Your player slid in for behind on our player in the box.

Can honestly say it was the worst day of my footballing life :(

Mine was when we lost against leicester in the play-off final (96), They scored in the 90th min and the player (i wont give you his name) who got their goal was ex-palace.

Edited by Palace_john

I have the high-lights of the game at home and they are also on Youtube, It looked like a def pen to me,Your player slid in for behind on our player in the box.

Not watched it again, don't think I can bear to. One thing to remember is that the tackle from behind was judged very differently to the way it is judged today by refs.

Not watched it again, don't think I can bear to. One thing to remember is that the tackle from behind was judged very differently to the way it is judged today by refs.

Nothing to do with this thread (sorry) but I have to say to Burleyblue (phew! got it right) you need to be careful coming on here with a pseudonym like that. There are many who will get the wrong impression!! :lol:

Nothing to do with this thread (sorry) but I have to say to Burleyblue (phew! got it right) you need to be careful coming on here with a pseudonym like that. There are many who will get the wrong impression!! :lol:

Blinkin heck, do you know it's never occurred to me until you pointed it out! My avatar even has a Claret and Blue look about it as well :(

Off to find a new avatar... changing name may be more difficult.

Three sides actually.

As others have mentioned this really was the pits. The lowest of the low. Nevermind relegation from the Premier League, that didn't even come close somehow. The 3-1 win at Ewood was surely enough this time round we all thought. We missed out the season afterwards as well (Swindon) but to me that didn't seem quite as bad.

All of what Scotty said with the addition of leaving Blackburn boulevard at around three in the morning (it was more like seven actually but I can't remember exactly what time it was and it was early) on the official away travel to eventually get to the ground 10 minutes after kick off. We lost. Courtney. Fans on the pitch. Glad All Fecking Over by The Dave Clark Fecking Five. Oh and after sitting on the coaches for three days, waiting to leave and getting grief by the fabulous Palace fans, we eventually set off. An hour later we saw a sign: "Brighton - 30 Miles" - the driver had taken us on the wrong motorway.

I appreciate that none of this is your fault Palace John, neither is it Dave Clark's, but there was a set of circumstances and a chain reaction of events that took place that day that I blame Crystal Palace for and always will do.

Courtney tried to make amends three years later by awarding us a couple of penalties against Leicester at Wembley when we eventually got promoted. He also retired straight after the game. He knew.

Buying Kuqi for £2.5 million is just a start. You've a long way to go. ;)

Kuqi is abit of a donkey,Hes got no pace and against luton he didnt look very fit. I think you saw jordan coming. :(

Well, there's your answers. I very much doubt if any football fan anwhere in the world has posted a question on another team's site and has received such comprehensive and honest replies. brfcs.co.uk is wonderful.

I'd just like to add that as much as I admired Iam Wright as a player..........

This message board is tops and what makes it tops is the fans. I have been on other messageboards to get info about players and games and most of them give out abuse. 10 out of 10.

I think you saw jordan coming. :(

let's just not go there folks (sorry John a private joke regards a board member) - couldn't resist

Anyway, back to the nightmare don't know how the Palace fans saw it with regard to the Rovers fans but it was a very surreal and horrid time for us due to a catalogue of events.

We just knew ... we really did

Twas not a good feeling to be a Rovers fan that day hence the responses you see thus far - it holds bad bad memories.

Link to Youtube lowlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtM5LrqlWG8

Just watched the penalty decision again :o

Cant decide wether it was given for Colin Hendrys hard but ball winning challenge outside the area :(

or

The Cristiano Ronaldo Comedy Dive by the Palace no 7 after running falling forward into Mark Atkins "push" :angry:

It had to have been for Hendry's tackle. Because if not, it's just too unbearable.

ps - Simon Garner has always been class.

It wasn't for the Hendry tackle. It was Atkins walking into the palace player, who obviously couldn't believe that a referee would give such a soft penalty, in such a vital game.

Players should be made to earn goals, not be given them on a plate. - in any match.

The footnote on my posts says it all....like Gav worst day of my football life..that crappy v shaped terrace enclosure..

Forced myself back to Selhurst many times since but HATE THE PLACE, THE AREA AND THE SOUTH LONDON T**SERS THAT FREQUENT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember supping in a WMC that day - went with tremendous excitement that this was fnally going to be it. Out sung about 200 palace fans in there - all 2 car loads of us - even doing the party piece of tie a yellow ribbon on the main stage.

Being chased by Milwall down some back alleys in their surgical masks on the way to the game

Don't want to talk about my memories of the game and the fans - it is erased.

Having 2 bottles of champagne in the motor and giving them to a couple of respectful Palace fans who weren't gining it large (about the only 2 on the day).

Almost failing my General Studies A Level the next day - it was heartbreaking for a 17 year old to bear.

Have been back there many a time and hated it ever since - although always a friendly welcome at Norwood Junction in the Railway.

Feel sorry for them having bought Kuqi and also for them that their record att. @ Selhurst of 51k was vs Bumley. Must have been the Clarrots 50k amazing away support :P

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.