SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Salzburg 2 Rovers 2

den

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my first European Rovers trip and it was amazing! Salzburg is such a lovely city and was great setting for the game.

Before the game we'd definately taken a 2-2 draw but the manner in which it happened was gutting :( For the last 15 minutes we just couldn't get the ball away from our box, just a pity we couldn't hold out for one more minute. However I think we're definately better than them and should beat them at Ewood.

Photos to follow...

Top Post, 1864.

I wish I could make a trip to support Rovers like that... must be brillant, i'm sure

Believe me, and please feel free to speak to Mike aka Captain Mike or Preston Blue, this was a unique opportunity to make a fantastic trip via road through Europe. Although totally enjoyable and tiresome I WILL NOT be contemplating such another trip by road.

We considered all travelling options including the coach from Ewood. However, our car won the day due to costs and the ability to do pretty much as we pleased.

The trip was arduous but enjoyable, the sights were simply amazing. The company was great and I enjoyed conversing with Mike who is a genuinely nice fella. My two mates Nick and Mark also enjoyed his pleasant company.

For people who think the autobahns are great, well yes they are but only when the traffis not in chaos !

For me, I just hope (and I dont mean to sound selfish), that we can draw a few teams a little closer by for the away games.

I reiterate, Salzburg is a fantastic place with lovely people - we didnt have any snags ANYWHERE.

:brfc:

And there was me thinking it was a reference to a film which protrayed an episode in the Second World War when a group of young lads - many the same age as those who follow Rovers - sacrificed their lives by flying over Germany - which at the time was under the Nazi rule and was busy mrudering six millions jews, Gypsies, eastern Europeans, labour leaders, etc - in an attempt to flood the Ruhr valley.

Now football supporters singing about that would be sick, don't you think?

And there was me thinking it was a reference to a film which protrayed an episode in the Second World War when a group of young lads - many the same age as those who follow Rovers - sacrificed their lives by flying over Germany - which at the time was under the Nazi rule and was busy mrudering six millions jews, Gypsies, eastern Europeans, labour leaders, etc - in an attempt to flood the Ruhr valley.

Now football supporters singing about that would be sick, don't you think?

It's only a football chant FFS, get a grip.

"Build a bonfire, build a bonfire, put put some scousers on the top" (regularly at Man U) - then in the next breath "Rooney - Rooney - Rooney".

Supporters want to taunt, goad and threaten all from the relative safety of a segregated crowd I might add, leave it be.

Paul, there is an incredibly popular Rovers supporter from Lancaster by the understandable nickname of Bomber who did brilliantly in the Fans' hit the crossbar competition at half time at Pompey last season triggering all the Rovers fans humming Dambuster in his honour. So that one has an entirely innocent origin/alibi.

On the other hand, compared with previous trips to Europe (particularly Ankara) from which Rovers fans came back having had a wonderful time without upsetting the locals, it appears that 20 or so lowest of the low made the Salzburg trip and upset the rest of the Rovers supporters and the good folks of Salzburg in equal measure.

If we do go through and get two more guarranteed away trips, I wonder who will be the first to drop off from following the Rovers in Europe as the novelty wears off:

- the ignorant Nazi neanderthals;

- or the decent majority of Rovers fans who have the time of their lives following the club?

Edited by philipl

I must admit to being a little dissapointed that the players didn't really acknowledge the fans after the game. Savage applauded us from a little way away as did Gamst. Toogs came a lot closer and was greeted with a rapture of "turkish delight".

I thought hughes' would have sent them all over to be honest. We deserved it.

TOTALLY AGREE - WE SPENT HARD EARNED CASH TRAVELLING OVER THERE AND MOST OF THE TEAM DIDNT ACKNOWLEDGE US AT THE END - MAY BE THEY THINK ITS ABOVE THEM AS THE GAP BETWEEN FANS AND PLAYERS GROWS .

Athlete, It actually bugged me that much that I sent a letter to Mark Hughes about it. I'm doubting I'll get a reply but hopefully next time we are away in Europe (either this season or in the future) He might send the players over to acknowledge the fans.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.