BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Middlesbrough 0 V Blackburn Rovers 1

Finally, with a win against Manchester City and a good second half performance to kick-start our season, we can now put the fears of a struggle against relegation behind us and look forward to push on up the table, much like we did last season.

Next stop is away to Middlesbrough, a match that should be winnable for a reinvigorated Blackburn Rovers. My prediction concludes this preview.

Where & When

Date: Saturday 23 September

Time: A traditional 3:00PM kick-off

Place: Riverside Stadium, Middlesbrough (capacity 35,100)

The Town

Middlesbrough is a large, formerly industrial, town in Yorkshire that is is populated by some 140,000 people. The town has come under a hammering during the years by some football players, citing it as a dreary place. It is not as ugly as Walsall, though.

Town History

Middlesbrough was the place of the famous victory by unfancied North Korea over giants Italy in the 1966 World Cup. The team was the first ever Asian team to qualify and were well received by the locals. A contingent of Middlesbrough fans and residents followed the team to its next match in Liverpool against Portugal.

Club History

Middlesbrough Football Club won their first ever major trophy in their entire 130 years of history by winning the Worthington Cup in 2004 over Bolton in a 2-1 win. It's a record that makes you glad to be a Rovers fan, eh?

Middlesbrough, nicknamed the Boro, also reached the final of the UEFA Cup last season, but were well outplayed by an impressive Sevilla in a 4-0 result.

Past Results

Results under the Mark Hughes regime have been overall successful. The last three encounters have resulted in clear wins for Rovers. However, the first Middlesbrough result under Hughes was an unforgettable 0-4 result, a season where we struggled against relegation. Some members, reading back, even questioned whether he was the man to lead us out of this mess. How time flies by!

H Middlesbrough PREM L 0-4

A Middlesbrough PREM L 0-1

A Middlesbrough CC W 2-0

A Middlesbrough PREM W 2-0

H Middlesbrough PREM W 3-2

The Last Match

Robbie Savage was sent off for the first time of his club career as Blackburn sent Middlesbrough home with their tails between their legs in a 3-2 win. Craig Bellamy put in a man-of-the-match performance by sending the ball into the back-of-the-net twice. Morten Gamst Pedersen scored the other Rovers goal from a free kick.

Current Form

Middlesbrough are currently on the same amount of points as Rovers in the Premier League, collecting five points from five games. Their only win was a 2-1 win over reigning champions Chelsea. They lost 4-0 to in-form Portsmouth the next match.

A Reading L 2-3

H Chelsea W 2-1

H Portsmouth L 0-4

A Arsenal D 1-1

A Bolton D 0-0

Fitness

Middlesbrough hosted Notts County at home in the second round of the FA Cup and lost 0-1, while Rovers had the entire week off. This should give Hughes' men the competitive edge, even though some first team players were rested.

The New Manager

Middlesbrough player-turned-manager Gareth Southgate has taken the managerial reigns since their most successful of former managers (in terms of major trophy), Steve McClaren, took the England reigns after the 2006 World Cup.

Initially, the fan reaction was mixed. Those disappointed cited Southgate's inexperience, and the fact that a promise from the club that a proven manager would be appointed was not taken aboard. Others felt that he was familiar with the club's set-up and has the potential to become successful.

What the Opposition Fans Say

Middlesbrough fans are an optimistic bunch, much unlike our own. They came off a horrific loss midweek to Notts County, acknowledge recent dire performances, and think the result can go either way given their erratic past results, but are still gunning for a win. The following post epitomises the typical Middlesbrough fan.

I can honestly say I haven't got a ###### clue.

We could win or lose this 3 - 0

We could draw 3 - 3

The Boro are capable of anything nowadays.

So my heart rules my head, and adding a little bit of hope................

2 - 0 to the Mighty Reds

Boro Message Boards

This sorry lot makes me thankful for the tidy organisation of topics and the general post quality that we have here at BRFCS.

Come On Boro

The Boro Forum

Fans FC: Middlesbrough

Sport Network: Middlesbrough Message Board

My Prediction

The men in blue and white are finally picking up their game and we have had some excellent results against Middlesbrough in recent history. This time should be no different, so I predict a tough 2-1 win. The stars will shine brightly on Andre Ooijer as he scores twice for his own team.

Blackburn Rovers Line-Up

Rovers are expected to choose from:

Friedal, Emmerton, Ouijer, Khizanishvilli, Neil, Bently, Tugay, Savage, Pederson, Jeffers, McCarthy, Mokoena, Nonda, Gallacher, Peter, Brown, McEvely, Grey, Derbyshire.

Edited by James No. 7

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rovers must start with Benni and Nonda up front.

4-4-2 is the formation to beat this lot.

I would also use Mokoena as right back if Reid is not fit, allowing Emerton to move into right midfield.

A personal view would see Rovers winning 1-0 but knowing Rovers following a positive result they will probaly dominate with 80% possession and lose 1-0 !

Its that type of season :huh:

Thanks for the 2 clear goal win against citeh.

When Saturday comes I am feeling that the winning margin will be by the siingle goal

0 - 1, 1 - 2, 2 - 3 ??????

Our defensive nightmare to continue, but with an added confiedence infront of goal

so its 2 - 3 Rovers win

Well Boro have a Carling Cup game midweek so hopefully Woodgate can pick up an injury (just for our game of course nothing serious).

Well Boro are doing what we did under Hughes when he first arrived in trying to be hard to beat and have no actuall intent to win the game. This means if Rovers get their defence right, we can pick them off when they try to attack, because they'll be under pressure from their fans after 10mins if they dont try to attack.

Rovers must start with Benni and Nonda up front.

4-4-2 is the formation to beat this lot.

I would also use Mokoena as right back if Reid is not fit, allowing Emerton to move into right midfield.

A personal view would see Rovers winning 1-0 but knowing Rovers following a positive result they will probaly dominate with 80% possession and lose 1-0 !

Its that type of season :huh:

Emerton & Bently have been good on the right, be unfair to change that

I think it's clear after this weekend that the Axe's best position is defensive midfield. Why move him to a position that's a) occupied by someone doing very well there, thank you very much and B) he's played really badly there in the past? Seems counter-productive.

Central defence is a tricky one. Hope playing together will work out the "kinks" between Ooijer and Zurab or change it... I don't think Boro have been particularly effective in front of goal this season so far, so perhaps give them another game? A full weeks training should help with this as well... at least, I'd be disappointed if it didn't.

I'll say 1-3 to Rovers, with the third goal very late indeed. Nonda, McCarthy and Bentley to score for rovers.

Edited by daren

Could be a Boro win unless we get our central defensive act together. Southgate will think he can keep us out, and score goals from midfield.

Up front: Nonda's speed and power coupled with Benni's strikers' instincts and trickery to try and counter Woodgate, who is showing what a class act he is.

Woodgate for England with Ferdinand on the bench?

I too think that we need Nonda for this one. I think his physical prowess might be the only way around Woodgate. I recall Kuqi being useful for us in that respect in the same fixture last season, though the Boro defence looks quite different now, particularly if Huth starts. I'd predict a score draw, 1-1.

Watched Bolton 0-0 Boro (worst decision of my life)... and they were very solid at defending, but pretty hopeless at attacking. That might just have been their plan for a tough game at the Reebok though.. they might open up a little bit at home.

Eh, I'm calling Boro 0 - 0 Rovers

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.