BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Was Rovers Worst Transfer?

rastan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Davies without doubt. Grabbi wasn't the best but he did try, didn't have a big hand in sending us down and wasn't out boozing in Preston (Squires nightclub was it?) with Omar Konde not long before the match that sent us down.

I'm baffled as to who would cite Nathan Blake as worst ever signing - not the best, but not too bad either and scored some goals in our promotion season. Remember quite a few he scored, including one at Gillingham after we'd won promotion. So, not a hero but hardly deserves to be lumped with Davies and Grabbi.

As for 'cheaper' awful buys - Simon Grayson, Steve Harkness, Darren Peacock (a rip-off free transfer!), Per Pederson and, at £5.3million, Christian Dailly, were all awful.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

I'm baffled as to who would cite Nathan Blake as worst ever signing - not the best, but not too bad either and scored some goals in our promotion season. Remember quite a few he scored, including one at Gillingham after we'd won promotion. So, not a hero but hardly deserves to be lumped with Davies and Grabbi.

at £5.3million, Christian Dailly, were all awful.

Blake and Dailly weren't awful players for us, but in terms of value for money they were bad, bad signings. As I said a few posts up, the transfer market was going mental around that time, I guess those two signings were pretty indicative of the whole situation.

I've always liked Dailly as a player, but the fact that we sold him for £1.75m only a few seasons later tells its own story.

lets go back into the 80's. some of the older members of this board would remember a bloke called paul mackinnon!!

if ever there was a bloke who looked like a duck out of water, and must have wondered what planet he was on, this is your man!!

Hell yes he was awful. Was part of the squad for the FMC final. Later returned to Sutton United where Saxton bought him from and played in the team which put Coventry out of the FA cup.

ray-von, i remember watching that game and if i am not mistaken, i think he might have scored one of the goals??

i also think that a lot of players mentioned on here never really got their chances at ewood. never given enough time to develop into the rovers way. not just the team and we played but the club as a whole.

Oh what a rich vein! Fantastic fun and shameless nostalgia.

Haven't we done this one before though? Anyway I'll say it again - Dave Hargreaves. Possibly also Jack Lewis - not in terms of value for money, just their irredeemable crapness at the level they were bought to play at.

Edited by johnradfordsubbuteo

Probably Grabbi. Expensive fee, no return. I'm still one of those that thinks he had a bit of talent and that it could have all worked out had things not gone the way that they did, but it would certainly be between him and Davies for me.

I used to think Grabbi could have proved useful down the wing ....but that's probably because I wanted him to succeed so much . £7m , though , for a Serie B player ...how come this one wasn't mentioned on the box last night !!??

The single most infuriating piece of 'business' in my mind is the Davies one. Not just because of how we got him for so much and he was cack, but because we then flogged him off cheaply to Southampton- and got EGIL OSTENSTAD in exchange. In one cup game for us, I remember thinking that was the least bothered performance I'd ever seen from a player in our shirt. And I still do. Then, insult to injury, Bolton end up getting Davies for FREE, and he's bloody good for them! And since I can't stand Bolton, that makes it the most infuriating one. The worst however, was Shearer being sold (Alan, of course), regardless of how much say we had in him staying. There's no way we would have gone down with Shearer in the team, and that must have cost us AT LEAST the money we got for him. And players of far less calibre change hands nowadays for similar or greater fees.

The double poke in the eye on the Davies deal was another of our big mistakes

Davies £7m in

Beattie £1m out

Davies Out

Ostensdadt In

Awful business both ways, although I was glad just to get shut of Davies in the end as his Rovers career had been over for a couple of months before he actually left.

I'll see your Paul McKinnon with another awful buy from the past, SEAN CURRY - what an awful player he was.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.