BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] What Was Rovers Worst Transfer?

rastan

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alan fettis. the only rovers goalkeeper to never save a shot. well... apart from matt dickens.

I remember he himself lost us that cup tie against West Ham (went to penalties if I remember correctly) but he completely messed up before that.

Edited by grizfoot

alan fettis. the only rovers goalkeeper to never save a shot. well... apart from matt dickens.

To be fair to Fettis he was only brought in as a third choice keeper behind Flowers & Filan to cover for injuries and didn't cost a huge amount of money (relatively speaking).

I do recall seeing him play for us against Leicester. I think we were 5-1 up and remember feeling nervous that we might lose the game, as Fettis never exactly inspired confidence the way seeing Flowers in goal did. I think if my memory is right we won 5-3 with Sutton getting three and even Dahlin getting on the score sheet!

To be fair to Fettis he was only brought in as a third choice keeper behind Flowers & Filan to cover for injuries and didn't cost a huge amount of money (relatively speaking).

I do recall seeing him play for us against Leicester. I think we were 5-1 up and remember feeling nervous that we might lose the game, as Fettis never exactly inspired confidence the way seeing Flowers in goal did. I think if my memory is right we won 5-3 with Sutton getting three and even Dahlin getting on the score sheet!

5-0 up we went, still got that season on video.

My worst ever buy for Rovers would be Alan Gilliver a CF bought from Huddersfield Town for a huge fee (around £60k) for those days. He was utterley useless to Rovers because of a seemingly never ending back injury, which it later transpired he had and Huddersfield knew about before Rovers signed him. Rovers appealed to the Football league and Huddersfield were ordered to refund a large part of the transfer fee. This incident lead to the compulsory medical examination by the Signing Club that we all know today.

Edited by Fife Rover

This thread appears from time to time and the same old names are always trotted out.

The worst player we ever signed was Martin Dahlin. Every other clown we have had over the years has had some kind of redeeming feature. Even Grabbi had his moments. Dahlin however was a waste of Oxygen, and if I saw him in the street I would probaly try to run him over.

Dahlin was a very talented player and you must be able to understand why he was signed?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.