SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2-1 Wigan

den

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember Asprilla scored a similar type of goal for Newcastle a couple of years back in UEFA Cup. It was against Metz I think.

Anyway, Bentley's goal was brilliant but Van Persie's was absolutely amazing.

Ok chaps, I am prepared to admit the relative merits of the two goals is certainly debatable and maybe van Persie's effort is technically better. But that is my point; both goals are at least worth consideration and debate. The media dont even give Bentley's goal a mention, while at the same time are raving about van Persie's goal and tipping it for "Goal of the Season" at this early stage! Unreal!!

What a game, though it didn't do my nerves any good. The contrast between the first and second halves was immense in my game. In the first we were shocking, in the second we were excellent.

For some reason we weren't at the races in the first half, which I think was down to complacancy after our excellent performance on thursday night. (I would've written a post on that but I reckon that excellent sums up the performance vs Salzberg.) The first five minutes weren't bad - bar a soft goal that we gave away, as we had a couple of dangerous attacking moves. After that we really were awful misplaced passes, giving the wigan players too much room, struggling to compete for the ball. It really was rovers at their worst.

Nice as the move for our equaliser was I'm sure every rovers fan in the ground was amazed that we were going in at half time on level terms. To be honest we really didn't deserve to be, but it did give us a great starting point for the second half. If it had have been 0-1 Wigan may have defended that bit deeper and made it more difficult, as it was we had a great chance to push on.

I'm not sure what Hughes said at half time but it did the trick, and rovers were excellent and all over them in the second half. I thought everyone did well battling for the ball and only have 3 gripes about an otherwise impressive second half display.

1) we don't take enough of the mountain of chances we made (perhaps the same could be said of in the Salzberg game.)

2) In a similar vein there were several times a bit more directness would've done wonders. We had several runs where the player should have had a go or kept pushing forward but stopped and laid it off.

3) Ooijer and Zurab look very shakey, especially Ooijer. What a stupid penalty to give away. What Hughes sees in him is beyond me - get rid quick he doesn't look up to the physical nature of the premiership.

An excellent debute by Brown - who'se penalty double save really kept us in it. If that'd have gone in I doubt we'd have won given our wasteful nature in front of goal. The lad made another good save too, and his distribution seemed good as well - man of the match in my oppinion.

Up front especially we look very strong. Nonda, Roberts and McCarthy all look threatening, and Jeffers is showing signs of why he was once so highly rated. Jeffers really seems to lack that confidence that is so important for a striker.

The full backs again looked good. As did all the midfield, although we really need to strengthen here with at least one if not two quality players. The options on the bench aren't that great when compaired to our striking options for example.

All in all an excellent game showing the highs and lows of supporting rovers. It was also a great game for the neutral and it was a real shame not more people witnessed it. Overall we deserved the three points as we created much more in our dominant half than wigan did.

Another couple of top class buys in January and top six is very likely.

What a game, though it didn't do my nerves any good. The contrast between the first and second halves was immense in my game. In the first we were shocking, in the second we were excellent.

For some reason we weren't at the races in the first half, which I think was down to complacancy after our excellent performance on thursday night. ,. It really was rovers at their worst.

And yet we made quite a number of chances-Benni should certainly have scored 2-I can't remember if he missed 2 or 3 glaring chances in the first half. Wigan created very little in the first half and only really came to life after their substitutions.

It's true you can't score with every shot, but he should have scored some of those. That to me isn't the most important thing though, I'm happy to see him getting on the end of chances and looking dangers, he also turned defenders several times and created chances for himself, the goals will come.

You can't score with every shot. He is new to the country and has already scored 5 goals for us.

An excellent signing

He might turn out to be an excellent signing, but the chances he got in the first half, along with his other misses in the 2nd half, coupled with his inability to control the ball when it is knocked into him with his back to the goal, mean whereas lots of people are raving about him, I'm in the minority camp.

He might turn out to be an excellent signing, but the chances he got in the first half, along with his other misses in the 2nd half, coupled with his inability to control the ball when it is knocked into him with his back to the goal, mean whereas lots of people are raving about him, I'm in the minority camp.

Not in a minority camp here more sitiing on the fence , but this is what I have been referring to re the showboating etc. in the Euro game and against Wigan (also Portsmouth).

Its good that we are creaitng the chances but we need to me more ruthless if we want to progress further than where we are at the moment -especially Benni.

*raises hand* :ph34r:

A player may be in an offside position without being offside per=se, eg if he is deemed not to be interfering with play (cue Van Nistlerooy), however to be offside he must also be in this position when the ball is played FORWARD and by a member of his OWN team. hence a player may be in advance of all the defenders (including the goalkeeper) but if a team-mate has got to the goal line (like Emerton does) and passes ACROSS the field of play or BACK into the field of play, or if a player occupying an offside position interceps a gaffed backward pass by an opponent to his own goalkeeper, then even that player is not offside.

The only times you can not be offide at all is, as first receiver from a corner-kick, goal-kick or throw-in.

I thank you

A player may be in an offside position without being offside per=se, eg if he is deemed not to be interfering with play (cue Van Nistlerooy), however to be offside he must also be in this position when the ball is played FORWARD and by a member of his OWN team. hence a player may be in advance of all the defenders (including the goalkeeper) but if a team-mate has got to the goal line (like Emerton does) and passes ACROSS the field of play or BACK into the field of play, or if a player occupying an offside position interceps a gaffed backward pass by an opponent to his own goalkeeper, then even that player is not offside.

The only times you can not be offide at all is, as first receiver from a corner-kick, goal-kick or throw-in.

I thank you

Did you read this, AR?

No. didn't , but Im glad it confirms what I said otherwise all the goals I didn't give (or did) when I was able to referee would come back and haunt me! Is the fact that Cisse didn't actually touch the ball when the Scousers beat us last year why he wasn't judged off-side? In my day, if a player made an attempt to play the ball insuch a position, even though not actually touching it, he was putting himself in active play and penalised!!

No. didn't , but Im glad it confirms what I said otherwise all the goals I didn't give (or did) when I was able to referee would come back and haunt me! Is the fact that Cisse didn't actually touch the ball when the Scousers beat us last year why he wasn't judged off-side? In my day, if a player made an attempt to play the ball insuch a position, even though not actually touching it, he was putting himself in active play and penalised!!

The referees now interpret the law differentlt. A player is only interfering with play if he actually touches the ball. That's why:

1] Benni wasn't offside when Neill played the long ball through

2] the linesman didn't flag until any offside player actually touched the ball.

he also went to kick it, so he was in play and should have been deamed offside

What is McCarthy stats so far this season?

How many did Bellamy bag in all competitions last season?

Benni has played in 7 league games and scored 3 times

Also he has played 2 UEFA games and scored twice

Therefore,9games 5 goals

Bellamy 22(5) league appearances and 13 goals

Played in one FA cup game and scored 2 goals

3(1) in Carling cup games with 2 goals

Therefore,32 games 17 goals

he also went to kick it, so he was in play and should have been deamed offside

The point that was made last season was that because Cisse did not actually make contact, although he started off to make contact, meant he was not offside.

Thanks 92er. It's hard trying to get through, that unless a player touches the ball, he's not offside. That is the new interpretation of "interfering with play"

Quite simply, you can chase the bloomin' ball from an offside position, but you wont, or shouldn't be flagged offside unless you actually touch it.

Thanks 92er. It's hard trying to get through, that unless a player touches the ball, he's not offside. That is the new interpretation of "interfering with play"

Quite simply, you can chase the bloomin' ball from an offside position, but you wont, or shouldn't be flagged offside unless you actually touch it.

That simply isnt true den.

Cisse whether he touched the ball or not was certainly distracting or having an influence on the actions of Rovers defenders, and he was therefore active and should have been given offside.

Cisse whether he touched the ball or not was certainly distracting or having an influence on the actions of Rovers defenders, and he was therefore active and should have been given offside.

But the interpretation given at the time was,although he moved to go for the ball, as he did not make contact, he was not offside.

At the time the decision seemed very frustrating but this explanation was given to rationalise it.

The new rule says that Cissè was not offside. It's ridiculous imo, but that's the new rule, according to a refereeing friend of mine.

Point 1, There is no "new" rule

Point 2, Every single official I know (and believe me thats a hell of a lot of active and retired referees at high levels) things that the goal should have been disallowed, even under the alternative application.

Edited by stuwilky

But the interpretation given at the time was,although he moved to go for the ball, as he did not make contact, he was not offside.

At the time the decision seemed very frustrating but this explanation was given to rationalise it.

See Rule 11. (New International FA Board Rule 2): Second highlighted para down.

Did Cisse make a move towards the ball or not?

If he did, did that movement affect the actions of any defender or not?

Edited by Fife Rover

"Interfering with an opponent means preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or movements or making a gesture or movement which, in the opinion of the referee, deceives or distracts an opponent."

from http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesAndRegulat...02/05/12115.htm

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.