SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2-1 Wigan

den

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a great result today! I'm delighted that we won, especially with Brown saving a penalty. What happened to Friedal? Benni is really starting to find his form and he's on a good scoring run. I'm still puzzled by Jeffers inclusion in the team, with Gallagher on the bench. But anyway, we won and that's the main thing.

Great performance, especially in the Second half. Brown was magnificent, as was McCarthy, Neill and Oojer (apart from the penalty). Also impressed with Jeffers, in the second half

Hughes said Friedel pulled his groin.

Simon Garner, there would have been about 16,000 Rovers fans, the full attendance was 17,800.

Edited by frosty

Just back and wow what a roller coaster ride we are on.

Negatives - first half was poor all round from back to front with very little created until the 45th minute when we score. Defensively we are the creator of all our own problems and these need ironing out.

second half and I am referring to minute 75-85 we went like jelly on the rocks across the back 4 and the middle 4, this has to stop otherwise we will concede vital space, possession and ultimately goals.

Positives - whatever the tea lady gave Jeffers at half time should remain a secret. What we saw in the second half is a player that can move, that can run and that can work the ball wonderfully well. Goals and chances. Surely Dr C, Benni and Roberts as well as Jeffers will bag hatfuls if we can create chances like we did the second half.

The crowd reaction was great again. Its pleasing to see those that do turn up actually shout encouragement.

There is teamwork and unity all across our team, for me Lucas is the real leader on that pitch and deserved his MOTM award.

Brown, nervous entry, great penalty save and an even better save 5 minutes later. Take a bow son.

Roberts is a sight to scare any defender and he and Benni should have had 6 between them. Cant wait for him to get to full fitness.

Tugay again deserves a mention, just how we can replace his ball skills worries me.

Brett continures to impress.

Happy days 2-1 fully deserved.

for those moaning about football at Ewood, take a visit, you will like what you see :brfc:

Just got back. First half hangover - less said the better except why does Heskey always score against us? Most of the time he's a big tart but he always gets one against us.

Second half - brilliant. Jeffers looked a different player. MGP actually chasing down balls and tackling. (yes, really). Bentley's class starting to shine through. Roberts looked rusty coming on but can be a big impact player for us I reckon. And well done Jason Brown - great start. Happy now :D

well done for an awsome 2nd half ...well done mr brown every credit and pats on the back for a stunning triple save.

WERE DO THE POWERS THAT BE GET REFS FROM STEVIE WONDERS EARLY LEARNING CENTRE ,WHAT A SET OF NUMPTIES THEY WERE TODAY ,AND TALK ABOUT BOTTLING A DECSISION ..HAS THE PRO FOUL BEEN DONE AWAY WITH?

well done for an awsome 2nd half ...well done mr brown every credit and pats on the back for a stunning triple save.

WERE DO THE POWERS THAT BE GET REFS FROM STEVIE WONDERS EARLY LEARNING CENTRE ,WHAT A SET OF NUMPTIES THEY WERE TODAY ,AND TALK ABOUT BOTTLING A DECSISION ..HAS THE PRO FOUL BEEN DONE AWAY WITH?

Having seen it again (presuming you are talking about the one of Pedersen) he wasnt the last defender.

Although at the time I was livid.

Good result, we played ourselves into trouble in the first half. Another storming 2nd half dispaly which we should've had more goals but Kirkland made some good saves.

Jeffers played well today even though I wasn't too happy about him playing - what's happend to Nonda is he injured?

Ooijer is stil very dodgy, the sooner Nelson is back the better, he is poor on the ball and was slow to close doewn Heskey for the 1st and obviously gave ANOTHER pen away.

Benni Mac was on another level today with his touch.

MGP looks to be getting back to form which is good.

Emerton wqas class again

The ref was poor, he missed things for both sides.

Didn't have the opportunity to follow the game, but what an excellent result to come home too. Benni is banging them in, Bentley seems to be growing into one solid player, and debuts don't come any bigger than saving a penalty for your team - I predict big things for Brown.

After our start to the season I wouldn't have dreamed we would get 3 wins on a row, but we've done it and our flying now. This will be a much more pleasant international break.

What a second half performance!.......wigan were hammered big time,well done Jason Brown,you made your mark today fella.

WHAT A FANTASTIC WEEK. :rover::brfc:

17,000 home fans.......your missing some great football at Ewood folks.

hammered big time 2nd half? you having a laugh. After that joke of a defender Ooijer gave a penalty away they were bloody dangerous.

Most infuriating was noticing Heskey's pace and strength really got Ooijer worried, for the penalty ushering him out to the side seemed a better choice than taking him down. He wasnt that far in front and it would definately have been the better option

Edited by dan_mark_furness

After that joke of a defender Ooijer gave a penalty away

Think you're wrong there. He was left one on one against Heskey and that was as a result of the team not defending properly. The full backs were caught up field and so Zurab couldn't cover him as he had to mark his own man. Although I agree he could maybe have sheparded him away from goal, Heskey is all about power and pace and would have got around most defenders in that situation. To call him a joke of a defender is way OTT. He's getting better and better every game and I think he'll actually turn out to be a very good signing.

Back to the game and I think Benni should have had at least a hat-trick today. In the 1st half he had 3 good chances and in the second half he had a few more besides the goal. As for the question of offside I thought he was behind Roberts when Roberts took it round the keeper and had his last touch and so couldn't be.

As already meantioned Jeffers was very good today. He's obviously still way short of being able to complete a full 90 mins but what a headache for Hughes to have when it comes to picking the strikers. The good thing is that we will have different options for different games and we should be able to keep them all nice and fresh whcih we will need to challenge in the cups.

1864 - Personally I don't think Lucas Neill deserved that MOTM award. He was caught wandering on a number of occasions and he doesn't fill me with confidence. Plus I never hear him speaking to his backline. Emerton deserved it the most in my opinion.

2nd half was a very good performance and we came out the blocks with real fighting spirit. Jeffers looks very good I have been impressed with him since he came really but on a couple of occasions he has tried to score whereas he would be better pulling it back to better positioned players. He's clearly desperate to get a goal for confidence.

Roberts looks rusty and his one on one with Kirkland showed that, he also looks a yard or two short. Bentley looked good once again and another alright performance from Pedersen.

Big mention to Jason Brown who was brilliant with the spot kick and reacted quickly to the follow up and his save 5 minutes later off that Wigan bloke (don't know who it was.)

hammered big time 2nd half? you having a laugh. After that joke of a defender Ooijer gave a penalty away they were bloody dangerous.

I thought we did hammer them second half. The scoreline doesn't reflect that, but Kirkland was superb - and needed to be. It could have been 4 or 5.

Having seen it again (presuming you are talking about the one of Pedersen) he wasnt the last defender.

Although at the time I was livid.

I haven't seen the highlights, but I thought that the rule actually states a red card for a situation where someone is fouled in a clear goal scoring opportunity, regardless whether it is the last defender who fouled or not.

Anyway, top win Rovers! Can't wait to see the highlights. Benley sounds like he's scored another great goal.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.