BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2-1 Wigan

den

It's great to know now that we have real quality in reserve - players who can come in when injuries occur and still make a big impact. Nonda has been great for the last couple of games so when I heard he wasn't playing yesterday I was worried. But no problem, Jeffers came in and played really well. Then Roberts comes off the bench late on and sets up the winner. Friedel going off at half-time wasn't brilliant either, but on comes Jason Brown and, even without the penalty save, looks confident, assured and talented.

When you consider that two of our better players last season, Nelsen and Reid, are out injured as well it just goes to show the strength in depth we have now. The only real concern is our two centre-halves who, yet again, made loads of mistakes and nearly gifted Wigan the win. Zurab constantly gave the ball away in dangerous areas in the first half - and we all know what Ooijer did in the second. Thankfully Wigan didn't capitalise, but teams will in the future if we don't sort it out soon.

Still, I'm not going to end on a negative note as pretty much everything else to do with the team is positive. Our 4 forwards are all good players, players who are capable of coming into a game or coming off the bench and making a real impact. McCarthy might just be a bit better than good. Our midfield is looking balanced, competitive and creative - special mention for Bentley in particular who has been one of our players of the season so far. We have two of the best attacking full-backs in the league on current form, and in Emerton we might just have the best full-back in the league full stop. He's a revelation. And, looking at the second half yesterday, we have two top quality keepers as well.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I don't get is this European excuse, for any team. We played football on Thursday night and then again on Sunday. So what? Last season on eight occassions we played Wednesday-Saturday or Saturday-Tuesday which is precisely the same as Thursday-Sunday. I can see the point has some relevance if a team has played away but a home game in Europe leading to a sluggish start in the next PL? Utter rubbish and nothing but an excuse, for any side yet the press continually trot this out and fans accept it as some sort of gospel.

Totally agree Paul - especially nowadays with it being a 'squad' game that they all keep mentioning.

Well, living in Wigan made the victory all that much sweeter especially after the atrocious start, which is what worries me as Hughesy said there would be no repeat of the Citeh game - how wrong he was , but whatever he does at halftime it certainly works...

Anyway, the first goal to me all started with the lazy pass by MGP literally moments before their goal and then his feeble attempt at a tackle before the cross

OOJER - not convinced at all with this guy, and as already mentioned by TND think he is a liability.

McCarthy - nice to see him playing further forward unlike in the Europen game (possibly because Jeffers was doing all the running -especially in th 2nd half when he definitely found his feet) -personally I would have taken him off instead of Jeffers due to is misses - hopefully it was just an off day and his finishing will improve.

Jeffers - as above thought he had an excellent game once he found his feet - a bit of drive at last when attacking with the ball.

Bert - worthy of mention again (yes from me) - what a transformation - why couldn't this have been seen before.

Brown - how confident is this guy :tu:

Neill - Have to agree with the decision for his MOM.

The Officials - Officially awful - don't care if the goal was offside or not the amount of decisions they gave against us, even though they where bad for both teams. Strange that again there are questions about a dodgey goal - remember last season.

A good win - but the cracks are still there so lets not hide away from them - we played into the hands of Wigan in the 1st half in that they more or less dictated the pace and momentum of the game, however we could still easily have gone into the break in the lead with the chances that fell our way.

This is what brings me back to the showboating I mentioned in the midweek game - lets not mess about and go for the jugular -goals breed more confidence and we need to improve ours dramatically.

Heskey - what has he got against us?

Really, really enjoyed the second-half performance which contained some of the most exhilirating football Rovers have played in years. There's little doubt Hughes understands his role at Ewood, which is much more than winning games, and is intent on giving us great winning football. After a poor first half the second 45 minutes was just wonderful, if slightly nerve-wracking, to watch.

One thing I don't get is this European excuse, for any team. We played football on Thursday night and then again on Sunday. So what? Last season on eight occassions we played Wednesday-Saturday or Saturday-Tuesday which is precisely the same as Thursday-Sunday. I can see the point has some relevance if a team has played away but a home game in Europe leading to a sluggish start in the next PL? Utter rubbish and nothing but an excuse, for any side yet the press continually trot this out and fans accept it as some sort of gospel.

Very disappointed by the gate. They don't know what they missed. This was a very important result and performance, so often we follow one good home result with an inept loss. Good to see that was avoided.

Absolutely spot on in all areas Paul!.

Regarding the highlighted bit: I reckon this is because in the vast majority of cases it is one of the so-called "big clubs" featuring and not poor little Rovers and the boot-licking grovellers of the media are purely

and simply looking at their circulation/viewing figures, which to them is the only consideration. :ph34r:

Edited by Fife Rover

The difference is Jeffers after his assist for Bentley's goal was amazing. Imagine what he'll be like if he ever scores. And how far did Bentley run to score that goal? They always pick out other teams and highlight the runs they make but when you see Bentley wide right putting in the pass to Neill and then see where he ends up to score it's like watching one of the top teams!

They always pick out other teams and highlight the runs they make but when you see Bentley wide right putting in the pass to Neill and then see where he ends up to score it's like watching one of the top teams!

We are one of the top teams :tu:

I watched last night's highlights on Sky and I have to say I was mightily impressed once more by all involved.

Heskey's goal was a superb one-he did well to get in front of his marker and Friedel had no chance with the finish.

We battled though and clearly dominated the rest of the game (save for a brief patch in the second half where we couldn't clear our lines-too many players dwelling on the ball). Bentley's goal was a thing of beauty, Jeffers's pass was inch perfect-fantastic football.

Yet again, I thought McCarthy looked the business. His control, power and ability in the box is fantastic and once again he got a goal-scorer's goal. Roberts frightened the life out of them when he came on.

In particular I thought Jeffers performed very well, he can't get a goal but his movement and speed of thought is indicative of the obvious potential he possesses. Emerton and Neil gave two swash-buckling displays at full-back.

Finally, I was chuffed for Brown. It's hard to come on for your debut in place of a club legend but he acquitted himself well. His save from the rebound was more impressive than the crap penalty itself. He also turned one round the post very nicely. Well done that man :tu:

Hopefully now that we had poor officials yesterday it won’t happen again against Liverpool, as it seems to each year.

It’s great to see that Reid, Nelsen & Roberts (Prior to 2nd half yesterday) have all been out and we are still on a decent run. It should only be good news therefore when they do all return.

Good games yesterday from Emerton, Neill, Bentley, Gamst, McCarthy & Brown, Jeffers (2nd half). Special mention to Bentley who I thought put a lot of effort it. The only 1 gripe I have about him is that he often pulls out if it’s a 50/50 and I just wish he would stick his boot in abit more.

Ooijer is still making mistakes but I think that is down to the fact he hasn’t adapted to the pace the game is played at. The 1st goal – he was in the perfect place, however nobody made him aware that Heskey had made a run from behind him and was about to pounce.

When was the last time we won 4 on the bounce?

Liverpool away is the biggest task we face now. That will be tough; they haven’t lost many at home for some time. I just hope to god we are on form that day!

Are there any links to the goals?

A suggestion to the mods: a page with all the links to the goals in Rovers game wouldn't be a bad idea...

Er.. that would be www.roversworld.co.uk wouldnt it ?

Every time we get a post with what are illegal links to the goals we are very quickly asked to remove them.

I do part-time work at a school in Wigan and it was interesting to hear the comments of a couple of kids who went yesterday supporting Wigan.They said how great the atmosphere was and "the best part was the drum. Is it like that every week?" Rovers also battered them the whole game and they enjoyed their viewing area in the Darwen End.I asked them which Rovers players impressed.McCarthy and Bentley came the reply.All in all they had a great day out.

Anyone read the Admiral's description of his recent operation in the matchday magazine? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I've had to sit on an extra cushion in sympathy ever since............................... :huh:

He went into graphic detail didn't he. Made me feel queasy eating my HT pie! :)

Did you notice that he said he thought Christmas was being optimistic, but something to aim for :(

The difference is Jeffers after his assist for Bentley's goal was amazing. Imagine what he'll be like if he ever scores. And how far did Bentley run to score that goal? They always pick out other teams and highlight the runs they make but when you see Bentley wide right putting in the pass to Neill and then see where he ends up to score it's like watching one of the top teams!

Well when you see a Tugay through ball to Neill (Red Bull game), you realise the movement is pretty good :D . The combinations on the wings at the moment are fantastic, Emerton and Bentley especially. We're really clicking at the moment, and part of me wishes we didn't have a fortnight break, the other part wants Friedel, Reid and Nonda back.

As for the game, well the Wigan team isn't built to handle lively strikers like Jeffers (and what a game he had!) and McCarthy. Once we resisted the temptation to pump the ball up to the front two and instead looked to work it through the midfield and down the channels their central partnership was in for a difficult afternoon.

All in all a good game, a well deserved win, especially considering Kirkland pulled off some heroic saves. A quick word about Ooijer and Zurab though - Nelsen can't get back soon enough in my opinion. It's not that either one is a bad player, they're just not physical enough, highlighted by the fact Heskey won everything in the air yesterday. Had me on the edge of my seat towards the end when Wigan were launching ball after ball into the box - fortunately we held out.

. A quick word about Ooijer and Zurab though - Nelsen can't get back soon enough in my opinion. It's not that either one is a bad player, they're just not physical enough, highlighted by the fact Heskey won everything in the air yesterday. Had me on the edge of my seat towards the end when Wigan were launching ball after ball into the box - fortunately we held out.

Make your mind up ER - you posted the defence are gelling on the Tugay thread.

Been on the juice or something :P

They are gelling - they're playing together as a unit much more than they were. By gelling I mean; covering for each other, Ooijer adjusting to the speed of the Premiership, Emerton feeling his way into the right back position and Neill likewise on the other flank. If you don't think they were anything other than a complete shambles a few weeks ago, well you obviously don't know football.

That doesn't mean that they can handle a big striker though, cos those two clearly can't. Which, y'know, was my point.

I've been thinking about that "offside" goal. McCarthy was definately onside when he recieved the pass from Roberts

He wasn't onside imo because the ball travelled forwards and Roberts and McCarthy were the two players furthest forward apart from Kirkland.

Still, as others have said, who cares? :)

Yeah, I loved his take on the goal

I don't understand how people (not looking at RevidgeBlue :) ) can be so negative about our fourth win on the trot....enjoy it while the going is good, folks!

Eh?????

"Best passage of play in the second half since Sparky took over at the Club" ??????

Exactly! And did you see the the sycophantic fools on Sky TV this weekend literally drooling over what they were calling "the goal of the season already" I refer to the very good goal scored by Van Persie for Arsenal, but which for me was not as good as Bentley's goal against Salzburg, and this never even got a mention!

Edited by Fife Rover

The one downside was the performance of Oiijer who I thought had a mare today

True Simon. Some will claim that it's still "early days" as far as his Premiership career is concerned, but once again in Sunday's match he resembled a frightened Dutch rabbit caught in the glare of an approaching headlight.

So far, Mr Ooijer has:

* Given away a needless penalty against Chelsea when the match was level and Rovers had, up until that point, been the better attacking team.

* Scored an own goal and generally looked like a disaster waiting to happen in the 4-2 win over Man City, when we could easily have been 4-2 down ourselves at half-time.

* Made a rash challenge on Emile Heskey, conceding a penalty against Wigan - which could have proved extremely costly had Brown not made the double-save.

Let's hope that in the future Ooijer does indeed improve and adapts rather better to Premiership life - because at the moment the Dutchman is a liability.

The football we saw, in particular during the second half was as good as anything at Ewood for a long time. However reading the qualities today you wouldn't know that.

Your favourite newspaper The Guardian has often been critical of Rovers in the past Paul. Perhaps it's time to change papers to one with a slightly different agenda. <_<

Incidentally, I recall in 1995 after winning the title, that one contributor to The Guardian (or it might have been The Observer) complained about the lack of black players in the Rovers squad. That's one thing that could hardly be complained about now, given our current forward line....

He wasn't onside imo because the ball travelled forwards and Roberts and McCarthy were the two players furthest forward apart from Kirkland.

Eh?????

McCarthy was behind the ball when Roberts played it Rev. You can't be offside when you're behind the ball.

McCarthy was behind the ball when Roberts played it Rev. You can't be offside when you're behind the ball.

Not my understanding of the rule den - I thought the rule was that if the ball was played forward there had to be two opposition players e.g. keeper + one defender between our player and the bye line for it to be onside. Whether McCarthy was behind the ball or not is irrelevant if that's the correct interpretation.

I might be wrong, perhaps some rules boffin could clarify!

I will go as far as saying that our 4 current strikers are the best and most talented group of strikers that I have seen since the days of the SAS, Newell and Gallagher.

I would agree with you there Theno, but would modify the statement to say they are potentially as good as the SAS, Newell and Gallagher.

Eh?????

"Best passage of play in the second half since Sparky took over at the Club" ??????

I said I wasn't looking at you!

Ooijer didn't have a 'mare. His game against Chelsea was a 'mare. This was just substandard. It seems to me that the major problem with the defence is communication, especially for Heskeys goal. MGP getting suckered into challenging for the ball up the field didn't help, either. The tackle leading to the penalty was a shocker all right, but it doesn't make his entire game a shambles. I reckon Emileo would have given most centre halves trouble yesterday. He seems to have recalled how to run and where the goal is!

And as for a "dismal performance in the first half" it was frankly a surprise that it was 1-1 at half time, Benni could have had two. There's another player that still hasn't hit his form in my opinion, incidentally. He still looks at times like he's not sure where he wants to play or what's going to happen next. Can't wait for him to hit a purple patch while on an extended run with a strike partner!

Anyway, just my 2c

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.