BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Financial Impact Of Group Stages

Don't think JW ever said there was any profit to be made Cap'n.

As per my previous post - on Radio Lancs last week he said (don't quote me but words to the effect) aside from the financial gains its about the raising of the the clubs profile in Europe and they are committed to it.

Lee,

Doyou know how the finances are recovered for the teams competing in the UEFA Cup(i.e. how do we make any money?)?

Basically for a club like ours you've to reach the last 16 to make any money. We aren't preferred by TV companies (hopefully British Eurosport did well) and we don't draw big crowds, both of which are the main earners.

The last 16 sees a central TV deal, which I believe ITV have paid for the rights to show.

It is quite conceivable that the club could lose money on a competition like this, but the sentiment that SG194 states above is correct also, that is the hidden value.

I heard the full, unedited interview with John Williams on Sky Sports News immediately after the draw - complete with the jokes with the presenters about not having spoken to Mark Hughes yet because he was hanging on the line for Sky giving them priority!

There was certainly no mention of financial reward, it was all about (at that stage) who he'd like to face at home and away, and how important it was to put the clubs poor record in European competition firmly in the past.

Another good indication that the club is in very good hands at the top level.

Once again, it shows that the LT (LET) sports desk are a complete bunch of no-brain numpties.

I think Boro said that their run to the UEFA Final netted them something like £2m last year.

It will only get really interesting for Rovers if they qualify from the Group and Spuds and Newcastle flop in their's.

Basel and Nancy are not going to be the greatest TV box office draws so I guess JW will just be happy to qualify from the Group stages without any red ink.

If Rovers vs Feyenoord isnt on TV then there is something dodgy going on - thats for sure!

All i can say is - who cares about extra money - its all about raising our profile and seeing the boys in Europe. Afterall we get to go round europe on the pi$$

Basel and Nancy are not going to be the greatest TV box office draws so I guess JW will just be happy to qualify from the Group stages without any red ink.

I don't know about that, Basel have the highest average attendance in Switzerland so I think it would be safe to say there TV numbers would do quite well. I think Nancy are the Rovers equivalent for size and supporter base in Ligue 1 so you never know.

full houses in poland and feyenoord should pocket us a few quid.

a decent home crowd for nancy should be achieved

basle is the kink in the equation, I cant see no more than a crowd of around 14000 for that game.

Personally, I think it will depend on how well each club has done in the first x2 maybe x3 games to see what the position is.

It has been pointed out to the Sports Dept of the LET how wildly inaccurate that line is.

Rovers will be lucky to make £4 let alone £4m from the group stages of the competition.

I have to say, I don't understand what you're talking about, so please explain. How can Rovers possibly make a loss on this? We get some money from gates (season ticket holders go to home games for free though I heard? So ok, this would be lowered quite a bit for the home games and I don't know whether there is a 50/50 split between participant clubs), we get some money from TV (The Krakow game will be shown on Channel 5. One can only presume this gives us some money, even if not much, and the other three games are all more high profile than this one). With the exception of Francis Jeffers on his pay-per-play deal, and perhaps a few minor appearance bonuses some players might have wrangled into their contracts, our players are all paid weekly, rather than per game. They probably all have some kinds of bonuses worked in, but I can't see these being for anything other than goals and maybe assists, and no more than 5k a pop if that. Ok, we pay for a few plane tickets and hotel rooms for the players, but again, how much can that really come to? Especially considering we are offering executive packages to fans too, which I assume we sneak a little profit from. I can see how £4 million is a vast overestimation, but I completely fail to see how income can possibly be lower than outgoings from these four games, so please explain for me and anybody else who might be wondering.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.