SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Feyenoord 0 Rovers 0

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha :lol:

Savage missed a big chance the end, a shame...

He did but you really didnt deserve anything more than a draw. You've created 2 chances (Benni and Savage) and that was all. You did have the better play in the first 25 minutes but since then you were pretty average,

We had a huge amount of chances and we deserved a bit more than a draw.

He did but you really didnt deserve anything more than a draw. You've created 2 chances (Benni and Savage) and that was all. You did have the better play in the first 25 minutes but since then you were pretty average,

What about Nonda's chance that went into the side netting?

Overall that was quite comfortable.

Nonda should have scored twice, likewise Savage probably should have scored.

That said, your lot need to learn to put their foot through the ball. You had a lot of tame shots.

All in all, I'm happy with a draw. We're not playing well, we were away from home and we're still struggling to cope without Reid and Nelsen. A place in the last 32 isn't too shabby.

Did you lot watch the game with your eyes closed or something..?? Even Sky thought Feyenoord should have won.

Blackburn frustrate Feyenoord

Blackburn qualified for the knockout stages of the Uefa Cup after a battling goalless draw with Feyenoord at De Kuip.

Mark Hughes' side defended stubbornly to frustrate their Dutch opponents and maintain their unbeaten record in Group E.

Feyenoord dominated for large proceedings of the game, but they failed to find a way past the resolute Rovers defence as they earned the point to book their place in the last 32.

Blackburn started the brighter of the two sides and showed they were not afraid to take the game to Feyenoord.

The visitors went close to scoring after just eight minutes when Benni McCarthy teed up strike partner Shabani Nonda inside the box and the Congo international powered in a shot which Henk Timmer turned round the post.

Nonda wasted an even better opening on 21 minutes when David Bentley picked him out unmarked inside the box, but the big striker headed his effort over the top.

Feyenoord almost broke the deadlock with their first noteworthy attack of the game when Angelos Charisteas tricked his way past two Rovers defenders inside the penalty area, but Brad Friedel was quickly off his line to block the Greek striker's shot with his legs.

Charisteas had another sight of goal just past the half hour mark when he headed straight at Friedel.

Feyenoord had strong claims for a penalty turned down on 35 minutes when Stein Husyegems went down in the box under a challenge from former Feyenoord hero Brett Emerton, but much to the relief of Emerton the home side's appeals were waved away.

The Dutch side went close to scoring five minutes before the break when Theo Lucius sent Danny Buys clear down the left and he cut the ball back for Nicky Hofs who saw his goalbound shot blocked by Andre Ooijer.

Feyenoord picked up where they left off at the start of the second half and Charisteas almost scored right after the restart when he captialised on a mistake by Zurab Khizanishvili to get through on goal, but under pressure from Michael Gray he could not get the power on his shot to trouble Friedel.

Huysegems had a sight of goal on 47 minutes and after his first shot was blocked by Emerton he powered in a shot straight at Friedel as Feyenoord pushed forward in search of the opening goal.

Bentley had a half chance on 54 minutes when McCarthy sent over a cross from the left, but off balance Bentley drove his shot well off target.

Emerton tried his luck from range just past the hour mark with a fierce strike which Timmer comfortably collected.

Feyenoord had claims for a penalty again turned down on 66 minutes when a cross from substitute Ali Boussaboun struck the arm of Ooijer inside the box.

Boussaboun created an opening for himself two minutes later when he cut inside Gray and flashed a left-footed shot just wide of the far post.

Robbie Savage went close to scoring eight minutes from time when he made an interception in midfield allowing McCarthy to pick up the ball and the South African played in Savage who slid his left-footed just wide of the far post.

Feyenoord piled forward in the dying stages in search of a winner, but Rovers held on for the draw to ensure their progression into the next round.

Well done Rovers. A great night for us.

Listening to the radio it sounds like the travelling fans have done us proud, they've sung their hearts out and it sounds like like they've had a fantastic evening.

I wish I'd been there.

Well done everybody!

thought we bossed first 2o, played some neat football and desrved a draw. Feyenoord have a genuine European pedigree so tonight is a feather in our cap. Watched the game in the pub and was narked by Dave Farrer's commentary. isnt this the guy who said " Burnley is a football town Blackburn isnt"? Weather he did or didnt he is ex Radi Ding....sorry Lancs. Enough said.

Did you lot watch the game with your eyes closed or something..?? Even Sky thought Feyenoord should have won.

Yes you should have won but your strikers need to learn how to shoot. You had plenty of chances to put the game out of reach but not a single decent strike from any of them. Brad didn't have a serious save to make all night.

a point against Nancy should see us qualify in first place

So much for your big 3-1 win prediction for Feyenoord SCF08!!!! :lol:

WELL DONE THE BLUE 'N' WHITES!!! :brfc::rover:

Lets beat Nancy out of sight at Ewood and finish top of this group.

Sad to see drinks and other objects being thrown at Pedersen from the so called fans of Feyenoord at the start......PATHETIC.

Can I also say that some of the commentating on Eurosport was appalling...if your going to cover an English side In Europe then at least give us some credit you pathetic b'stards!!! :angry:

I almost got the impression that they were wetting themselves for van Hooydonger to come on and score the winner at one stage.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Must say I enjoyed the coverage Rovers got tonight from Eurosport. A good performance considering Pedersen, Bentley, Nonda and Benni were off form. My MOM was Savage closely followed by Ooijer and Gray.An historic night in Rovers history; the first time we have got to the knockout stages of a European competition. Great to see and hear the fans out there.

The BRFCS.COM flag was clearly seen :rover:

Great result but once again I have to say in all honesty we look a very tired side at the moment lacking in creativity and I think its worrying.In the name of god please give Hughes some funds to strengthen come January Rovers board!

Fair play to Feyenoord,far from their best but easily the hardest game to date for Rovers.

Great result, awful performance, we wouldn't have scored a goal if we had have played until tomorrow. I've got serious concerns about the level of coaching at the club, we seem to make the same mistakes week in , week out. Our running off the ball is poor, players in possesion never have enough support, we always play little itsy bitsy balls sideways and backwards to nobody in particular, they could play a high line and constantly catch us off-side because they knew we had nobody running from midfield to beat the off- side trap.

We were lucky we were playing a team who thought they could walk the ball into the net otherwise we would have been battered. If you can't score at any level you go down it's as simple as that, and if we don't strengthen our attacking midfield and strike force that's exactly what will happen.

On a brighter note I saw a lad tonight who should be our next left-back, sign him up Rovers this lad could go all the way.

Ratings----------------

Freidel, 7, reliable as always, kept us in the game.

Emerton, 6 , good athlete, not a natural footballer, when is somebody going to teach him how to cross the ball ?

Ooijer,8 , played like a captain should, lead from the front.

Zurab, 4 ,played like an absolute donkey tonight, did nobody tell him rovers were playing in red.

Grey, 6, the usual mix of good and bad, sign the lad who was marking Bentley, he's a real full back.

Bentley, 5, didn't fancy it against a fast aggressive opponent.

Savage, 5, runs around a lot to no real purpose, we need more creativity in this position.

Tugay, 7,knocked the ball round well as always but played too deep to hurt the opposition.

Pedersen, 5, ineffectual as always this season, you could mark him in an armchair.

Nonda, 4, I've seen enough now, the "attempt" at a header in the first half was pathetic, get rid Rovers.

Mc Carthy, 5,Off side all night, doesn't harness his skills for the team , needs a kick up the arse.

Subs- Jeffers, ran brightly. Mokoena and Peters only on for a minute or two.

well good result for rovers, qualified, happy days!

a fighting performance, a draw there is a job well done imo.

i thought savage and ooijer were immense tonight, played their hearts out.

the pedersen incident with what looked like lager going all over him was a disgrace, i hope gamst buys him 1 back later!!!

if that had happened to say lucas neill, he would of kicked off and i wouldn't blame him.

the blackburn fans were awsome, i hope they took a few mobile video's and post them on youtube to share the experience!!

Never mind scf08, get used to the fact the British press are totally biased against the Rovers. The BBC are even wittering on about a penalty Feyernoord should have had which nobody on this thread has even mentioned yet.

Both sides were utterly woeful in front of goal. I'm afraid I've turned against Nonda after that performance- Jeffers on the other hand looked very sharp when he came on. Rovers' crossing was poor again and MGP and Bentley once again played without conviction but were nowhere near as bad as some who will come on here and claim.

Feyernoord played some pretty and effective football until 30 meters out then fluffed it completely.

The one class act at de Kuyp tonight was Tugay.

Great to be through and the chances are we will only need to draw against Nancy Lorraine Cheryl (loved that name whoever came up with it first!) and we will qualify top.

The one class act at de Kuyp tonight was Tugay.

I'd say there were two. Feyenoord's left back was utterly outstanding. Managed to nullify both Brett and Bentley.

Overall on the basis of that Nonda has to lose his place in the side. He was presented with two clearcut opportunities and completely wasted them while offering little else all game. Jeffers looked sharp, but if we want someone who can finish then I would suggest giving Gallagher a shot.

Ooijer was superb, especially picking up the ball and going forward. If we are short in midifield again then I cannot see why we don't utilise him as a defensive midfielder. He can pass very well.

We need our forwards to start producing goals!

ps. I am an adament admirer of Hughes but I am alittle perplexed as to why he doesn't be a little more adventerous in his selections. Gallagher, Peter, Jeffers all deserve more of a crack at the whip than they are getting (I'm not talking starting them, but mor like subtitute appearences on the hour mark rather than 80 minutes in). If nothing else it will give those players underperforming at LM and Striker a kick up the ass.

Edited by joey_big_nose

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.