BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

OK more on the games that I saw yesterday at the Sony Gamer Day Event:

Resistance 2 - What can I say other than amazing. If you enjoyed the first one then you will love this one. It looks and plays much, much better than the original. It is also on a vast scale. Hale has is now in the US and is again fighting the Chrimera, the AI in the level that I played was amazing, there were lots of times when there were loadsa enemies on screen so it involved a lot of shooting, however later in the level you had to use more covert tactics and be more measured in your approach (I really loved that). Graphics were superb and it is going to be a hit. However I also played Fallout 3 which was even better.

Fallout 3 - This was a game that I hadn't really concentrated on, however there were lots of people queuing so though I would see what the fuss was about. Man am I glad that I did because seriously this game has the potential to be GAME OF THE YEAR, it is that good. Graphics are as good as I have ever seen, there is so much happening on screen and the combat is stuff that I have never experienced. One minute I was being hunted down by multiple enemies and the next I was crawling through sewers where enemies were not easy to find and were down right scary. Like I said this game is going to be huge and for me contender for game of the year it is that good.

Motorstorm 2 - Bigger, bolder and better than the original. Much like Resistance 2 it has improved in all facets. More vehicles and now courses with different environments. I played the jungle and lava courses and they were superb. The racing is much more intense and the vehicles you use have a big bearing, for example if you are using a motorbike no use going through the top of the jungle as it is full of swamps, also certain vehicles can go through certain parts of the courses so the routes you take are also influenced by what you drive, it is good because this forces you to use other vehicles. Overall impressed with it.

Little Big Planet - I leave this to the end because I am telling you that this game is going to revolutionize gaming forever. For those of you who don't know LBP will basically allow you to create and share levels and has been hyped for so long that it was relief to try it finally. The game will come preloaded with 50 levels created by the makers, you have to play these to unlock all of the tools, these levels are superb and really give you an insight into what the game is about. The real fun begins when you create a level, the good news is that pretty much anyone can create a level as the tools are really easy to use, i created a level in 10 minutes which played quite well, but I can see people spending hours creating complex levels and the beauty of it is that most of this will be shared so in effect the game is going to be endless. You can also create famous levels from other games such as Mario and Sonic etc. Everyone who played this was blown away and this is going to end up shifting lots of PS3's this Christmas.

Right that about covers it, I am off to see the Bank Manager to get a loan to buy all of these games.

Thanks for the write up there Kamy :tu:

I must admit that I just havent been able to get myself excited about LBP. I understand what it can do and think it will be a great advert in moving the PS3 forward but I don't think I can be bothered messing around creating levels (I do know that there are 50 to play with already but still) Hopefully there may be some sort of demo to change my mind.

About Fallout 3 - is it really like Oblivion but with guns?

Really like the sound of Resistance 2 though - the only downside to it that I can see is that it got Killzone 2 bumped to next year because they didn't want both games to go up against each other - definite purchase for me this one.

Motorstorm 2 - was anything mentioned about how many tracks it will have? This was my only problem with the first one that there was only about 5 tracks (before they started charging you for more) If I am going to spend £50 on a game I want more than 5 tracks to burn around.

Last one - was anything mentioned about when the Store is going to get Street Fighter HD? Old school I know but I just love it.

Thanks for the write up there Kamy :tu:

I must admit that I just havent been able to get myself excited about LBP. I understand what it can do and think it will be a great advert in moving the PS3 forward but I don't think I can be bothered messing around creating levels (I do know that there are 50 to play with already but still) Hopefully there may be some sort of demo to change my mind.

About Fallout 3 - is it really like Oblivion but with guns?

Really like the sound of Resistance 2 though - the only downside to it that I can see is that it got Killzone 2 bumped to next year because they didn't want both games to go up against each other - definite purchase for me this one.

Motorstorm 2 - was anything mentioned about how many tracks it will have? This was my only problem with the first one that there was only about 5 tracks (before they started charging you for more) If I am going to spend £50 on a game I want more than 5 tracks to burn around.

Last one - was anything mentioned about when the Store is going to get Street Fighter HD? Old school I know but I just love it.

I was the same about LBP until I played, it is hard to describe but it had this kind of addictiveness.

Fallout 3 is a bit like Oblivon with guns, it is just the sheer scale of the game and the graphics which were mind blowing. It has superb potential.

Motorstorm 2 there are 4 different environments, within each environment there are 4 courses so giving 16 in total. The courses I played were massive and had multiple paths so lots and lots of replay value. Also I think that Shopto have this and Resistance 2 for £29.99!!

Nope no mention of Street Fighter HD but they did have have Wipeout HD and WOW that looked amazing. Read some review last week, particularly Eurogamer one so was pleased to test out the game, the graphics really are amazing and it has that old skool wipeout gameplay. It is out on PSN very very soon.

On the subject of shopto, my mate bought GTA from them and when last week tried to trade it in. There was a sticker over the bar code which they need to scan and when they removed the sticker it said 'Not For Resale' under it so he couldn't trade it in. Given that I play and finish all of my games and then trade I am a bit worried about buying from them now

On the subject of shopto, my mate bought GTA from them and when last week tried to trade it in. There was a sticker over the bar code which they need to scan and when they removed the sticker it said 'Not For Resale' under it so he couldn't trade it in. Given that I play and finish all of my games and then trade I am a bit worried about buying from them now

That doesn't sound too good and shouldn't happen. Ask your mate to give them a ring am sure they will be able to send him another copy or summat. That makes me worry as I also play my games and then trade them in. Having said that I must have bought 15 or so games from them and never had any problems trading them in.

Guest Kamy100

The best game on the 360 Bioshock (in my opinion) is coming to PS3 and the demo is out today. For all you PS3 owners this game is a "must purchase" it is dark and wonderful game.

New best game on the 360 - Fable 2.

You can do a dance in the town square, wait til everyone gathers round and starts clapping, then hold the fart button to make them laugh. Hold the fart button too long and your character follows through.

Highbrow!

Had a bash at the latest round of demo's that have been put up on the store:-

Bioshock

Obviously not a new game for 360 owners but new for us PS3 guys. Wow, it looks and plays really well. After playing the short demo and watching the weapons trailer at the end it looks like they have worked hard in combining the magic weapons with the guns/hand helds. Unfortunately I wont be buying the end game as I am a big girls blows and only just got through the demo without crying - I can handle horror movies fine but make me play a game horror and I turn to jelly.

Brothers in Arms

It looks ok, the cinematics all seem to run with the in game engine - which makes a change from devs dressing up their games. Not sure its works that well for me though. I was stood next to one of the enemy shooting away at him and he just wouldn't go down - until one of my crew popped up and shot him??? They also seem to really push the cover system so much that it looks like you may be hiding for most of the game and just ordering your men to sort things out from afar. Think I will wait for Resistance 2 for my next shooter fix.

Guest Kamy100
Bioshock

Obviously not a new game for 360 owners but new for us PS3 guys. Wow, it looks and plays really well. After playing the short demo and watching the weapons trailer at the end it looks like they have worked hard in combining the magic weapons with the guns/hand helds. Unfortunately I wont be buying the end game as I am a big girls blows and only just got through the demo without crying - I can handle horror movies fine but make me play a game horror and I turn to jelly.

I am the biggest softie as regards these type of games and was apprehensive when trying this on the 360, however it was fine, there isn't really any horror, it is just that Rapture (the city) is such a wonderful, eerie and well designed place it feels scary, but you get used to it and how it works you'll be fine, the sound is also superb you can here stuff like water leaking and most the time you can hear the enemy as they are quite noisy. You also meet lots of very interesting and weird characters along the way.

It is quite the most amazing and different game that you are ever likely to play, the attention to detail is scary and the story line superb.

Brothers in Arms

It looks ok, the cinematics all seem to run with the in game engine - which makes a change from devs dressing up their games. Not sure its works that well for me though. I was stood next to one of the enemy shooting away at him and he just wouldn't go down - until one of my crew popped up and shot him??? They also seem to really push the cover system so much that it looks like you may be hiding for most of the game and just ordering your men to sort things out from afar. Think I will wait for Resistance 2 for my next shooter fix.

Yeah by the sound of it, you've missed the point completely.

Brothers in Arms is not a shooter and you do not play it to get a shooter fix. It is a tactical shooter. You play this game completely differently from the traditional FPS. Using cover and using your squad efficiently is essential to success. You should consider the combat in this game as "combat puzzles" in many ways. Once you adjust your gaming from the headless chicken/one man army play style I assure you that you will experience an extremely satisfying game with intense combat and action. The sound design is fantastic and the game begs to be played with the sound turned right up. Hell's Highway has a strong narrative as well and characters that are emotional, something which carries through in dialog. Animation is a bit limited regards to facial expression but the story completely works anyway. I'm surprised no one else has talked about this game here recently. It's one of the most enjoyable games I've played his year.

Cocker, I am a huge wuss when it comes to anything dark or scary and while I easily admit that I had to play Bioshock with someone in the room and with all the lights on, I think its a game that a real gaming fan can't miss. Everything about it from the game play to the controls and environment/scenery is superb.

Yeah I know what you are all saying about bioshock and will probably give the demo a couple of more goes - the plan being not to kill anything straight away and let the monster jump around for a bit to see how bad it really is.

Cocker, I am a huge wuss when it comes to anything dark or scary and while I easily admit that I had to play Bioshock with someone in the room and with all the lights on, I think its a game that a real gaming fan can't miss. Everything about it from the game play to the controls and environment/scenery is superb.

I was sweating everytime them creatures came out when playing drakes fortune :D

Yeah I know what you are all saying about bioshock and will probably give the demo a couple of more goes - the plan being not to kill anything straight away and let the monster jump around for a bit to see how bad it really is.

All this talk of Bioshock made me put it into the 360 last night. It's a superb game, with so much variety. You'd be mad to miss it on the PS3. :)

http://www.tesco.com/entertainment/product.aspx?R=854368

Saints Row 2 £16.

This may be a mis-price.

I'm not that fussed about it so I'll not order it in case they charge the £49.99 for a game I'm not bothered about, but I thought it might be a good spot for you who do play Saints Row.

Wow, that really does have to be a miss price. I don't want to waste my time on this one at all so think I will order it and then get it traded right away - should get £25 on a trade I think.