BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

Is it worth me playing if I haven't, or have no intention to play, Borderlands?

It would help if you had, but I don't think it's a must. I played Borderlands 2 and the pre-sequel but never Borderlands 1.

There will be a few references you might not get, some of the characters that turn up were in some of the other games but some of the dialogue actually explores that a bit.

I think yes you could play it and enjoy it without knowing a lot about the Borderlands lore.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Has anybody bought Football Manager 2016 yet?

I've just got through my first season with Blackburn.

I sold Rhodes for £10million, and got out of the embargo in January. Fode Koita is a beast on it and bagged me 25 goals with Marshall and Conway helping out with about 10 each too.

I managed to miss automatic promotion by a point and ended up beating QPR in the Play-off semi finals.

It came to the Play-Off final and it was like my worst nightmare, Blackburn vs Burnley, and I got beat 3 - 2 AET.

Looking for promotion next season with Koita and Patrick Bamford leading the line. :rover:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Backroom

Sticking with FM15 for now. Probably won't get FM16, as I was still playing FM11 until I finally picked up FM15! Probably won't be such a long time before I get a newer one this time, but my next one will probably be 17 or 18.

For anybody interested, Sony/Square released a short teaser for the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 remake:

:wub:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Odd question, but how is Nintendo doing over there in Europe?

Here in South Africa it's non existent anymore. Bit of a shame really, but the pricing on the Wii U currently is about 1k less than the next gen consoles. Bit madness that, and no wonder it's gone downhill.

Odd question, but how is Nintendo doing over there in Europe?

Here in South Africa it's non existent anymore. Bit of a shame really, but the pricing on the Wii U currently is about 1k less than the next gen consoles. Bit madness that, and no wonder it's gone downhill.

It is much the same here in UK/Europe. The Wii U is dead in the water, it never took off and now with virtually no third party support the system is finished.

In my opinion Nintendo have to get the NX out this year and it has to be a powerful machine and not an extension of the Wii U. If they do that and get the third party support then they have a 2 year window to establish it before the next generation of Sony and Microsoft machine are out.

It is much the same here in UK/Europe. The Wii U is dead in the water, it never took off and now with virtually no third party support the system is finished.

In my opinion Nintendo have to get the NX out this year and it has to be a powerful machine and not an extension of the Wii U. If they do that and get the third party support then they have a 2 year window to establish it before the next generation of Sony and Microsoft machine are out.

Absolutely agree on this. I still have my Wii, which my 6 year old son now uses. It's still great for the kids, with Mario and Zelda etc. In fact I still play Mario now and then, and its great fun away from PS3/4.

Once you start to slip, getting third party is not easy.

Sega lost ground with the Saturn, despite being powerful enough, was notoriously difficult for third party programmers to work on. A lot of these developers new really returned for the Dreamcast and without enough games and developers as system is dead.

Whilst my old playstations, Xbox and Dreamcast gather dust in the loft, my Saturn is still active alongside my ps4 though. Prob my fave console ever :-)

Nintendo has stagnated in that the majority of the biggest games they now release are just remakes of their old games, with little innovation. They also apppear to have targeted their games at the younger end of the age market, away from those serious gamers with large disposable income in their 20's and early 30's.

They don't only need 3rd party support, they also need to re-evaluate their strategy too.

Incidentally, anyone seen any of the Sony VR headsets yet, to know if they are likely to be a passing trend, or the future of gaming?

One of the reasons I still fire the Saturn up is because modern games have too much story and cut scenes. Too many characters and too much plot.

During most weeks, due to work I may only get 3 or 4 spells of half an hour long to jump onto a console. I want a quick arcade type game that I can chuck on, play and then come off. That's how it was for most games in the 80s and 90s. Now they are too deep. I do like a game with a story behind it (loved Deus Ex for example) but if you don't revisit it for 2 weeks you have forgotten what the hell is going on.

• Backroom

Nintendo has stagnated in that the majority of the biggest games they now release are just remakes of their old games, with little innovation. They also apppear to have targeted their games at the younger end of the age market, away from those serious gamers with large disposable income in their 20's and early 30's.

Nintendo have always targeted younger gamers. SEGA managed to break into the untapped market of older gamers in the early 90's with the Mega Drive/Genesis, but the NES/SNES were always geared towards kids. The N64 deviated from that to an extent, but the Gamecube and especially the Wii went right back to Nintendo's roots of games for kids.

With the Wii U flopping, they may make one last attempt at the older market with their new console, but that will be very difficult with the XBox One and PS4 having such a tight grip on the mature gaming scene.

Whilst my old playstations, Xbox and Dreamcast gather dust in the loft, my Saturn is still active alongside my ps4 though. Prob my fave console ever :-)

The Saturn was designed as a 2D console with 3D backgrounds, it was only when SEGA saw what Sony and Nintendo were up to with full 3D that they realised they had made a massive mistake and threw in a second processor to, in theory, enable full 3D on the Saturn too.

Problem is, they never told the developers how to use that second processor to create 3D games. They probably didn't even know themselves. Most of the Saturn's best games are largely 2D based, as that was what the console was originally intended for. Funnily enough, despite bombing everywhere else, the Saturn was a relative success in Japan and support wasn't officially discontinued for it there until 2001! Hence most of the platform's best games were only ever released in Japan.

Nintendo have always targeted younger gamers. SEGA managed to break into the untapped market of older gamers in the early 90's with the Mega Drive/Genesis, but the NES/SNES were always geared towards kids. The N64 deviated from that to an extent, but the Gamecube and especially the Wii went right back to Nintendo's roots of games for kids.

With the Wii U flopping, they may make one last attempt at the older market with their new console, but that will be very difficult with the XBox One and PS4 having such a tight grip on the mature gaming scene.

The Saturn was designed as a 2D console with 3D backgrounds, it was only when SEGA saw what Sony and Nintendo were up to with full 3D that they realised they had made a massive mistake and threw in a second processor to, in theory, enable full 3D on the Saturn too.

Problem is, they never told the developers how to use that second processor to create 3D games. They probably didn't even know themselves. Most of the Saturn's best games are largely 2D based, as that was what the console was originally intended for. Funnily enough, despite bombing everywhere else, the Saturn was a relative success in Japan and support wasn't officially discontinued for it there until 2001! Hence most of the platform's best games were only ever released in Japan.

Sega themselves were perfectly capable of utilising the second processor for 3D. The vast majority of the 'elite' games were done by sega - fighters megamx, virtua fighter, Nights , Panzer Dragoon, Daytona and the (for the time) perfection of Sega Rally. ID software also managed it with Quake and Exhumed.

The problem was most third parties couldn't achieve anything like those titles. EA demonstrated this by making an absolute shambles of FIFA98, which was superb on the Playstation and the less said about the Saturn version of Doom the better !!

Edited by Hasta

But let's be honest here, some of the Nintendo games are pretty fun to play, especially for the older generation. That's not the problem, neither is it the hardware or the software.

The problem lies in their pricing. If your console is 1k less than a next gen console, then you are asking for trouble. The Wii U pricing was massively over priced. It was a pretty cool concept imo, but why oh why did they not rethink pricing

• 3 weeks later...

So after 5 months of having no console to play on,this weekend should see it return.

I think I've forgotten how to play the Witcher but very much looking forward to getting back into it.

Just finished the Witcher 3, what a game! I put in over 150 hours and still left some side quests and Witcher Contracts for when I next do another play-through.