BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

Did any of you finish red dead 2? I got it ages ago,but gotten right into into now. It's some spectacle, but the buttons can be annoying. I'm getting better,but I started a massive shoot out in a bar by pressing L2 to talk when I had a weapon drawn and instead I shot the place up. So now I have a huge bounty. Getting into the swing of things now though. 

Put Persona on the other night. I'm on the mission at the bank. I was doing grand. Then one enemy ambushed me and I got wiped out. Forgot how unforgiving it is. I was close to a save room,so was pretty disheartening. I do like it though. Will go again. 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Put Persona on the other night. I'm on the mission at the bank. I was doing grand. Then one enemy ambushed me and I got wiped out. Forgot how unforgiving it is. I was close to a save room,so was pretty disheartening. I do like it though. Will go again. 

Yeah if you get into an ambush situation it can be bad times, especially if Joker has a weakness the enemies target repeatedly.

I just finished P5R and then realised I didn't rank up the necessary people to unlock the new content ? I've got a save from an earlier Palace but it's some way back. I guess I'd rather reload that then play the entire game again though. I managed to do every palace in one day (securing the route) so I guess it shouldn't take that long if I fast forward through all the other scenes. Still a pain though. 

@Bigdoggsteel pro-tip, rank up the doctor at the clinic ASAP. You can buy an item from her at around level 5 called SP Adhesive 3. It is extremely useful for pretty much the entire game. It restores 7 SP per turn in battle, which is a life saver if you're trying to get through a palace quickly and don't want to burn through SP items. I always buy at least 4 to apply to every active party member. They are a bit expensive but once you get the doctor up to level 7 the price gets significantly discounted. 

Kawakami (the teacher) is another one you'll want to try to rank up to level 10 as soon as possible. Once she's at level 10 you get the ability to go out in the evenings after you've been to mementos or a palace. Very useful for ranking up confidants. 

In terms of the rest of the non-phantom thieves:

Chihaya (the fortune teller) - her abilities aren't that useful tbh.

Caroline & Justine (the prison guards) - have very useful abilities but are difficult to rank up. Not really necessary to complete the game.

Iwai (gun store owner) - his ranks are all about gun customisation, I never bother with it.

Ohya (journalist) - her rank up abilities are all centred around lowering the warning levels in palaces. Again not one I bother with as I find the character annoying anyway and I never get close to triggering 100% alert in palaces.

Oda (kid in the arcade) - again all about gun upgrading. At first rank you learn down shot which is actually pretty useful, but outside of that not important unless you really like the gun mechanic.

Togo (shogi player in church) - has a ton of useful battle aids during rank ups, definitely worth getting all the way to 10 if you can.

Mishima (phansite owner/school friend) - another really irritating character but his rank ups are worth doing for sure. The higher you rank him up the more EXP your party gets in battles.

Yoshida (politician giving speeches in station square) - makes negotiating with shadows easier and allows you to get more stuff from them. Doesn't have any major impact if you don't rank him up but I did find his abilities useful.

For me in terms of importance ranking up I'd go with:

Takami (doctor)
Kawakami (teacher)
Togo (shogi player in church)
Mishima (phansite owner/school friend)

Then whoever you want after that. Those four are definitely the most useful. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Also a few useful links I found during this latest playthrough:

https://joyceychen.com/persona5-negotiation/ - gives best answers to give during negotiations. It wasn't 100% for P5R due to the new content but still had 95% of the right answers.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/6ba2x1/english_flowershop_bouquet_guide/ - correct flower combinations if you get a part time job at the flower shop (good way to raise the kindness stat)

https://samurai-gamers.com/persona-5/answers-class-questions/ - classroom question answers, useful as some of these are stupidly obscure/Japan specific. Also if you hit the touchpad on the PS4 controller before answering it'll show you what other players answered to the question - pretty much gives you the answer. 

https://chinhodado.github.io/persona5_calculator/index.html#/list - fusion calculator. Useful if you want to know how to fuse a specific persona.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

On 15/04/2020 at 11:24, DE. said:

From what I heard they weren't even able to get a lot of their pre-orders out on time so that doesn't surprise me. I never pre-order from Amazon. ShopTo is my go to - always competitive in price and have always gotten stuff out to me really quick. They got P5R out to me 4 days before the release date, and apparently they were shipping FF7R out a week before release. I ordered from gamecollection instead as they were cheaper (and I didn't need it that quickly tbh) but most of the time I go with ShopTo.

Thanks, that's really useful. I wish there was more Saturn stuff available (in general) as it's one of the only older consoles that doesn't have a huge amount of mods available. 

There's a new Saturn flash card coming out, satiator. You plug it into one of the unused ports and it emulates a CD drive.

https://www.retrorgb.com/satiator-beta-update.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=digVewVEqGgS

Official Saturn wired and wireless controllers.

http://retro-bit.com/sega-wireless

Or there's 8bitdo unofficial wireless controllers.

I love all this new stuff for old machines.

• Like 1

• Backroom
Just now, booth said:

There's a new Saturn flash card coming out, satiator. You plug it into one of the unused ports and it emulates a CD drive.

https://www.retrorgb.com/satiator-beta-update.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=digVewVEqGgS

Official Saturn wired and wireless controllers.

http://retro-bit.com/sega-wireless

Or there's 8bitdo unofficial wireless controllers.

I love all this new stuff for old machines.

Yeah I've got an 8bitdo wireless six button for the Mega Drive Mini and it works perfectly. Really good quality controllers.

I'll definitely be grabbing one of those Saturn flash cards when they're available! It's pretty expensive to get ahold of the better Saturn games and I'm not really up for paying upwards of £70 for them. It's cheaper to buy the Japanese versions of most of these games and with a RAM cart you can bypass the region lock on the console - a bit of a faff to play a game though!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DE. said:

Also a few useful links I found during this latest playthrough:

https://joyceychen.com/persona5-negotiation/ - gives best answers to give during negotiations. It wasn't 100% for P5R due to the new content but still had 95% of the right answers.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Persona5/comments/6ba2x1/english_flowershop_bouquet_guide/ - correct flower combinations if you get a part time job at the flower shop (good way to raise the kindness stat)

https://samurai-gamers.com/persona-5/answers-class-questions/ - classroom question answers, useful as some of these are stupidly obscure/Japan specific. Also if you hit the touchpad on the PS4 controller before answering it'll show you what other players answered to the question - pretty much gives you the answer. 

https://chinhodado.github.io/persona5_calculator/index.html#/list - fusion calculator. Useful if you want to know how to fuse a specific persona.

Great stuff ,thank you 

• Backroom
10 minutes ago, Norbert Rassragr said:

Last one I really played was 2011. I dread to think how much detail and fiddly fannying about with tactics and talking to the press you have to do now. There's only so much tinkering I can be bothered with.

I really liked FM11, I was playing that all the way through until FM15 when I finally upgraded. Granted there were long periods where I wasn't playing it, but it was an excellent instalment.

I can't speak for the latest versions of FM, but honestly as far as 18 is concerned there's no requirement to tinker extensively. If you want to micro-manage everything then the options are there to do so, but personally I assign my assistants and coaches to training, press conferences, youth teams, friendlies etc. I use the same tactic for every match and never have to mess around with it. I basically just deal with transfers, team selection, match day and discipline. Although the game seems to think I'm a bit too eager on the disclipline front as somehow I'm rated 22 on discipline, despite the max rating technically only going up to 20 :unsure:

Edited by DE.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DE. said:

I really liked FM11, I was playing that all the way through until FM15 when I finally upgraded. Granted there were long periods where I wasn't playing it, but it was an excellent instalment.

I can't speak for the latest versions of FM, but honestly as far as 18 is concerned there's no requirement to tinker extensively. If you want to micro-manage everything then the options are there to do so, but personally I assign my assistants and coaches to training, press conferences, youth teams, friendlies etc. I use the same tactic for every match and never have to mess around with it. I basically just deal with transfers, team selection, match day and discipline. Although the game seems to think I'm a bit too eager on the disclipline front as somehow I'm rated 22 on discipline, despite the max rating technically only going up to 20 :unsure:

I downloaded the most recent demo about 2 weeks ago. Picked Rovers, obviously. Spent an hour playing. Realised I would get fired from work, do no exercise and my partner would leave me, so I deleted it. 

It's pretty in-depth alright. I was big into them years ago, so I could see the warning signs. 

I never understood why they don't port the game to the PS4. I mean its on tablets and mobiles. Surely there would be a market? Anyone have any ideas why??

• Backroom
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I downloaded the most recent demo about 2 weeks ago. Picked Rovers, obviously. Spent an hour playing. Realised I would get fired from work, do no exercise and my partner would leave me, so I deleted it. 

It's pretty in-depth alright. I was big into them years ago, so I could see the warning signs. 

I never understood why they don't port the game to the PS4. I mean its on tablets and mobiles. Surely there would be a market? Anyone have any ideas why??

If they did, they'd get my money every year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Mike E said:

If they did, they'd get my money every year.

Me too, that's why I don't get it. I think it could work fine ,even with the controls. There have been manager games on consoles before. I had one on the mega drive and LMA manager on PS2 I think it was. The vita had a port too, 2014 I think it was. 

• Moderation Lead
5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

From memory, 2008 and a couple before were on the 360. But I don’t think it went any further than that....

• Like 1

• Backroom
5 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Traditionally football management games haven't done very well on consoles, I think that's pretty much the only reason. Honestly I wouldn't buy it on console as I'm too used to playing it on PC/Laptop now, but whether there is a market there in modern day is up for debate. The only question I'd have regarding putting FM on consoles is how well a PS4/XBOX/Switch could handle the processing involved. I won't profess to understand the differences between console and computer processors, but I wonder whether that is a factor? I imagine they could still optimise the game for console even if it was an issue though.

One of my exes from many years ago really hated FM. Think it would have either been 07 or 08 at the time. She said more than once that I was more interested in FM than her. In retrospect she was probably right tbh, but I have no regrets. :rover:

• Like 2

• Backroom

I made it clear to my missus that Rovers, Golf, and Wrestling are my first loves. They got me through hard times, and were there for me when my exes weren't.

Happily she likes football (but a Dingle), and keeps trying golf (reckon I can convince her to get lessons), but she'll never understand my love of 'men rolling around in trunks' though...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I made it clear to my missus that Rovers, Golf, and Wrestling are my first loves. They got me through hard times, and were there for me when my exes weren't.

Happily she likes football (but a Dingle), and keeps trying golf (reckon I can convince her to get lessons), but she'll never understand my love of 'men rolling around in trunks' though...

A Dingle fan Mike? What are you doing? ?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My missus sometimes likes watching me play games. Something like Red dead, Uncharted or the Witcher. She liked Bloodborne up until she witnessed me stab a mutant pig in the ass(those who have played will know what I mean). I mean there wasn't much I could say. 

She's big into football(Ronaldo) ,but watches any game that's on. She's polish so we have had to chance to watch Ireland v Poland a good few times in the last few years. With them coming out on top most of the time,unfortunately. She didn't take too kindly to me calling them diving bastards, which they are. 

She tried Wrestling and noticed that "this is an improvised performance, very impressive". Just the most recent AEWs and there were a few bad weeks before maybe the last 2 weeks, so she lost interest. Can't blame her. Just raging she missed the last two as they were better! 

• Like 1

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Tbf I've had the same thought when watching some modern WWE events.

• Like 2

Just won two back to back Premier Leagues with rovers on FM19. Been my favourite career so far. 

Started with Rovers and won the Championship. Somehow in my third year in the Premier League I scraped 4th. The following year was a semi-disaster. Got knocked out by Monchungladbach in the 1st knockout round of the champions league, finished 8th and got to the league cup semi. The Venkys sacked me!! Paul Heckingbottom took over the club and it was hell watching him slowly go down the table season after season. I had 7 agonising years as West Ham manager, whilst being asked to be the England manager too.

A europa league and super cup win with West Ham followed and I was offered the England job. Did that same time as West Ham. Won a World Cup but the following euros saw a shock 1st knockout round defeat to Denmark and I found myself on the end of another sacking. Horrified. It was penalties too

With a point to prove I spent big as West Ham manager. I was 5 pts clear with West Ham when Heckingbottom was FINALLY sacked by Rovers and they sat in a relegation scrap. Venkys actually sacked me for an 8th place finish but watched as this bloke took them down year on year to lower table shite. At least we know it’s realistic. It was new owners that sacked Heckingbottom. The new Brazilian owners saw fit to bring me back and we have blossomed ever since. A new stadium is on the horizon. 

Kept Rovers up and luckily the hard work to the youth set up remained. 5 hard seasons after we won our first league. I could have won this on my birthday at West Ham away (unbelievable) but a Utd won meant I had to wait a week longer.  This season I’ve just finished we won the league comfortably, won the league cup but got knocked out of the champions league by a semi final defeat to Liverpool. A 0-0 at home with Rovers having a red card after 37 minutes was followed by a hard fought 2-1 loss at Anfield, where the new “World Player of the Year” Graham Ridley stepped up to bang in two early goals. I knew I should have signed him over 10 years ago for West Ham. 

The only bad thing from last season was a shock 3rd round defeat to Bolton. I subsequently recalled 2 players they had on loan from me- both starters. Some call it bitter. Man City also stole the starting England right back and youth academy graduate Hilson from me in January so I need to spend money to replace him. 

We go again. What a game.  

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

• Backroom

Considering it mostly comprises of looking at data screens, FM does have an amazing ability to suck you in. 

In my current game it's October 2063. VAR was never implemented. I started this game on 8th February 2019 so have been running it for over a year, definitely the longest save I've ever done. In-game I am 76 years old and have been managing Rovers for roughly 46 years. Dunny was my assistant manager until he turned 73 and finally retired. 65 year old Ryan Nyambe is my current assistant. The only other 'real' players on my coaching staff are Richarlison who has been a fitness coach since 2048 and Dominic Calvert-Lewin who has been a scout since 2054. The club recently upgraded to a 117,000 seater stadium which cost £800m. 

I had a brief stint as England manager from 2034/2035 but the options available to me in terms of players were pretty awful so I let somebody else deal with that shit.

Competition wins are pretty healthy ?

fVHO8X8.jpg

x4MOMmd.jpg

A largely successful career IMHO :rover: in terms of the PL is hasn't changed that much in all honesty, but I've seen Man Utd and Man City (twice) get relegated in the past few seasons which was nice. Both bounced back up unfortunately.

Burnley were in the PL for a while but have been on the decline in the last 20 years or so and are now just an average League 1 team which is pleasing. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 4

Some good years for us there, DE. Talk about global domination!

I'm surrounding myself with some ex-pros at the moment. Dunny and Johnson still running my U23s, who have just won back to back Checkatrade Trophies + the league. I'm churning out wonderkids like there's no tomorrow and the future of the England midfield 'David Eggleton' had a worldy first season!

Elsewhere there's Dennis Bergkamp in my attacking coaching, Brad Friedel + Stefan Postma are my youth goalkeeping coaches, Johnathan Greening deals with ball control and David Trezequet my Central European scout.

I've recently signed two Columbian players, a central forward and defender. Miranda the CF had a great first season and is becoming my number one choice whilst Cordorbá excelled at Monaco on loan so will probably fit him in with "the big effin German" Renhausan at the back this year considering my first choice, and fans' favourite, Portugese Djalo is now 32. Should definitely get a South/North American scouting team going. Them pair cost me under 500k each and look like they'll fill costly positions for the next 10 years.

I think the beauty in the game lies in its simplicity. My imagination works overtime on these games.

Without wanting to bore you all my final story for this save is a wonderful tale of Joe Rothwell's domination of...the South Korean league. After the Rovers' promotion a team called "Ulsan" lodged a shock bid of £4.2m for Joe, with add ons of 2.5m if he plays 50 games. He wasn't in my first team plans and the offer was too good to miss considering I had managed to get Dani Olmo in on loan from Marseilles. Anyway I thought nothing of it until about 12 years later on the game it sent me an inbox to say Joe had retried; a brief check of his history saw he had won 5 leagues in a row, the Asian champions league and had become a club icon at Ulsan. Over 250 appearances and 63 goals he stole the heart of South Korea....oh and his midfield partner? Sean Longstaff!!!

• Like 2

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I'm surrounding myself with some ex-pros at the moment. Dunny and Johnson still running my U23s, who have just won back to back Checkatrade Trophies + the league. I'm churning out wonderkids like there's no tomorrow and the future of the England midfield 'David Eggleton' had a worldy first season!

Elsewhere there's Dennis Bergkamp in my attacking coaching, Brad Friedel + Stefan Postma are my youth goalkeeping coaches, Johnathan Greening deals with ball control and David Trezequet my Central European scout.

I've recently signed two Columbian players, a central forward and defender. Miranda the CF had a great first season and is becoming my number one choice whilst Cordorbá excelled at Monaco on loan so will probably fit him in with "the big effin German" Renhausan at the back this year considering my first choice, and fans' favourite, Portugese Djalo is now 32. Should definitely get a South/North American scouting team going. Them pair cost me under 500k each and look like they'll fill costly positions for the next 10 years.

I think the beauty in the game lies in its simplicity. My imagination works overtime on these games.

Without wanting to bore you all my final story for this save is a wonderful tale of Joe Rothwell's domination of...the South Korean league. After the Rovers' promotion a team called "Ulsan" lodged a shock bid of £4.2m for Joe, with add ons of 2.5m if he plays 50 games. He wasn't in my first team plans and the offer was too good to miss considering I had managed to get Dani Olmo in on loan from Marseilles. Anyway I thought nothing of it until about 12 years later on the game it sent me an inbox to say Joe had retried; a brief check of his history saw he had won 5 leagues in a row, the Asian champions league and had become a club icon at Ulsan. Over 250 appearances and 63 goals he stole the heart of South Korea....oh and his midfield partner? Sean Longstaff!!!

I always make an effort to bring former players in on coaching/scouting staff if possible. I've got a number of former players in various staff roles but most of them are regens so no names that anybody other than me would recognise! It's pretty weird when you get to the stage where former regen players are now your staff (and every so often managing teams you face) but just another facet of the game that makes it feel so deep and complex. 

Signing wonderkids from South America and various European leagues is definitely the way to go. I've signed a ton of players for under £1m and they've either become first team regulars or been sold for £20m+ after a few years out on loan or on the subs bench. My transfer budget at this point is a billion every season so I pretty much sign up any highly rated youngster recommended by my scouts. Leaves me with about 30 players out on loan, Chelsea style, but you get huge gains from those you sell on (usually for major profit) and those who end up in the first team haven't cost much at all as their wages are paid for whilst they're out on loan and they've usually been brought in for a pittance. 

Of my current first team none cost more than £9.5m, with most being in the £3-6m range. My highest valued player is a Welsh lad at £78m and he cost £135k from Newport County. 

Following up on former players when they leave the club is always interesting too. At the end of most seasons I go back through players sold to see how they're getting on. Another layer that keeps the game so weirdly fascinating. Every so often a former player will be out of contract and if they still have decent stats and I have a backup spot I'll sign them back for a swansong. I've usually got so many good younger players coming through that even selling a first teamer isn't a big deal as there are plenty of other players ready to take their place. Typically I'll look to sell a player when they hit 30 as that's when their stats and value typically begins to decline. There are some occasions when a player is so good that I keep them on, though. One of my current DC's is 32 but will leave when his contract expires at the end of the season. Stats are still good but time to let a younger player have a shot. 

Some players physical stats totally fall off around the 30/31 mark though, Charlie Mulgrew style. Suddenly almost all their physical stats are below 10 and their value plummets!

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
21 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

What you doing when Mowbray leaves? 
I’d be throwing my hat in the ring with a glittering CV like that!

• Like 1