BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom

Oh yeah, Persona 5's music score is immense. A lot of it is not traditionally what I listen to but it sounds great. All of the battle and boss themes are top notch, as good as any Final Fantasy game. I think the music is especially important in an RPG as you play it for so long and will hear a lot of the same songs repeated (especially battle themes) so they need to be good or they end up being annoying. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/04/2020 at 09:53, DE. said:

Oh yeah, Persona 5's music score is immense. A lot of it is not traditionally what I listen to but it sounds great. All of the battle and boss themes are top notch, as good as any Final Fantasy game. I think the music is especially important in an RPG as you play it for so long and will hear a lot of the same songs repeated (especially battle themes) so they need to be good or they end up being annoying. 

My favourite computer game music is the “Jurassic rhythm” bit at the start of chrono trigger. Just a very cool wee jingle. Streets of rage gets a special mention also. 

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 hour ago, The Hypnotic said:

My favourite computer game music is the “Jurassic rhythm” bit at the start of chrono trigger. Just a very cool wee jingle. Streets of rage gets a special mention also. 

I'm a bit shamed to say I've never played Chrono Trigger! It's on my list though. I've got it on my SNES classic console so I don't have an excuse really! 

The Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack is one of my favourites. I've played through that game a ton of times (probably more than any other Mega Drive game) and the soundtrack is super nostalgic for me.

Even the intro is killer!

The full OST, with practically every song a classic.

I also found this which I wasn't expecting... a live performance of the SoR soundtrack in Paris from 2018! 

• Like 1

On 24/04/2020 at 21:09, JacknOry said:

I have gone old skool and am playing Championship Manager 01/02. Legally free to download and is updated by these guys - https://champman0102.co.uk/. I am playing it with our current squad - but 20-years ago. 

Brings back tons of memories and is quicker to play as it is not bloated with all the additional stuff you have to do on FM these days. Can even play it on Android.

Might have a look at that one day. FM 2011 is the last version I bought, and I couldn't be bothered with all the press conferences etc. However, I edited it so Steve Kean was Burnley manager and I used to wind him up all the time.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, DE. said:

I'm a bit shamed to say I've never played Chrono Trigger! It's on my list though. I've got it on my SNES classic console so I don't have an excuse really! 

The Streets of Rage 2 soundtrack is one of my favourites. I've played through that game a ton of times (probably more than any other Mega Drive game) and the soundtrack is super nostalgic for me.

Even the intro is killer!

The full OST, with practically every song a classic.

I also found this which I wasn't expecting... a live performance of the SoR soundtrack in Paris from 2018! 

Thanks for the last link.

Chrono trigger is a very good game, I never played it when it came out but I’ve recently discovered it through my raspberry pi. I’d forgotten how charming and fun the old JRPGs are. Just got FFVII working so I might finally be able to complete it!

Are any of the other FFs from the pre-ps2 days any good?

• Backroom
32 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

Thanks for the last link.

Chrono trigger is a very good game, I never played it when it came out but I’ve recently discovered it through my raspberry pi. I’d forgotten how charming and fun the old JRPGs are. Just got FFVII working so I might finally be able to complete it!

Are any of the other FFs from the pre-ps2 days any good?

I haven't played any of 1-5, so I can't comment on them, although from what I gather they are very grindy as old school JRPG's tend to be.

FFVI is really good. I wasn't blown away by it as so many others are, but it might be because I never played it growing up, so the nostalgia factor isn't there for me. I still enjoyed playing it but it was just okay, and there's a difficulty spike at one point in the game which practically ruins it IMO. 

FFVIII is one of my favourites, just behind VII, but the Junction system is kind of broken and makes it really easy to overpower yourself early on and basically destroy every enemy in the game with ease. The story is completely insane but if you're okay with that you will probably enjoy it. 

FFIX gets a lot of praise but personally I've never gotten on with it. I've tried to play it a few times and just became bored every time. It's a shame as I want to like it, but I can't. It might change one day but not right now!

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the remastered FF8 a while back but only played it a bit. I picked it back up a few nights ago and last night completed disc 1. 

I think the story just about gets away with it at this point, although the dream sequences are still largely unexplained.

I don't know what it is, or rather what I am doing wrong but all my characters suck apart from Squall. I don't know if it's the weapon they each have, although I upgraded Zell & Rinoa's weapons and it made little difference.

I make a point of junctioning everyone with a GF so I can junction magic to HP, Strength and Magic to all 3 but Squall seems to hit 5/6 times more damage than the others.

I'm also not a massive fan of the draw system, without the x3 speed I think I'd have gone crazy. No idea how I did it back on the original.

• Backroom

It took me a very long time to get through FFVIII when I originally replayed it a few years ago on the OG PS1 - at least a couple of months. I imagine a significant amount of time was spent drawing spells to junction to my characters. The x3 speed on the remaster is definitely a massive improvement. 

I got up to Lunatic Pandora on FFVIII then other games took over. I'll get back to it eventually. I've put another 100+ hours into Persona 5 Royal, having already put over 200 hours into the original game. Granted some of that time is just on the pause menu whilst I'm doing other things, but it's scary how addictive the gameplay is. There's always something to do and a reward just around the corner. When you finish the game you can restart under "New Game +" which has more extra stuff to do, plus you carry over your money, weapons, etc from the previous playthrough which makes the early stages of the game a breeze. 

I'm kind of sad to report I have very little motivation to play the FF7 Remake at the moment. I'm in no rush as the next instalment won't be out for a long time, but it definitely doesn't have the same pull for me as the original. Beautiful graphics though. 

Edited by DE.

2 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

A guy at work really wants a few of us to download this.

Is it that frustrating?

It’s 95% frustrating, stressful and a complete waste of time. It’s 5% fantastic. And when it’s fantastic it’s really, really fantastic. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been about 6 or 7 years since I last played one but I've been really tempted to jump back into the football manager games. Time has moved on since I last did PC gaming, what is the crack now for getting games on a laptop with no disk drive? 

I looked on steam and FM20 is 40 quid which is a bit steep, can you get them cheaper elsewhere (legitimately)?

On 21/06/2020 at 21:26, K-Hod said:

Been playing The Last of Us Part II this weekend. A very good game indeed so far!

I really want to play even the first one, but no way I'm buying a PS. Which they'd release it on xbox or pc.

Ok, question.

So I have primarily been a PC gamer over the years (about 30+) although I did have a lot of the earlier consoles ranging from the Sega Master System, Megadrive, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PS1 and PS2 as a youngster as well. I stopped buying them after that as I didn't have the time and was already more than satisfied with gaming on a PC. 

I am getting an itch to get back into console gaming a little more, especially as my 8-year old is now showing an interest whenever I am playing my games. Feel like a console is a better option for us to play together. 

My question is, would it be worth getting a PS4 now as obviously, the PS5 is arriving later in the year. My thoughts are that the PS5 in the first year will be very expensive while the PS4 will be at its cheapest. The PS5 will have a limited range of games compared to the PS4 initially at least. I have also been told that it is not a good idea to get new generation consoles in the first year due to potential issues (red ring of death and the like previously) that may need ironing out. For a couple of years at least, I have also been told that new titles will be backwards compatible with the PS4.

He is not old enough to be at that age where he has to have the latest gadgets just yet so just thought that the PS4 would be the best option for now. Get a couple of years worth of fun out of it before upgrading to the PS5. 

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Edited by JacknOry

• Moderation Lead

Like a good little hype beast, I usually relent fairly soon with the new consoles tbh....

You’re right though, the new ones coming out have a limited amount of games on them. 
One of which they were pushing as GTA V, which initially came out on PS3!

The PS4 has loads of good games out by this point, so there’s plenty to go at tbh. 
To answer your question though, I’d hang on for now, I’m not sure how much PS4s are at the minute, though my mate was telling me the price crept up at the start of lockdown, which was a bit naughty....

• Moderation Lead
11 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I really want to play even the first one, but no way I'm buying a PS. Which they'd release it on xbox or pc.

Just get stuck in mate, borrow one off a mate or something, they’re some of the best games of all time! 

Just now, K-Hod said:

Like a good little hype beast, I usually relent fairly soon with the new consoles tbh....

You’re right though, the new ones coming out have a limited amount of games on them. 
One of which they were pushing as GTA V, which initially came out on PS3!

The PS4 has loads of good games out by this point, so there’s plenty to go at tbh. 
To answer your question though, I’d hang on for now, I’m not sure how much PS4s are at the minute, though my mate was telling me the price crept up at the start of lockdown, which was a bit naughty....

Yeah, this is not something happening imminently - probably a little closer to xmas (two birds with one stone as can call it his gift haha)

As for GTA, I will try to go down the good parent role initially - so no violent games (for him anyway). This is why a large collection of game choice is important. 

Edited by JacknOry

• Moderation Lead
35 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Yeah, this is not something happening imminently - probably a little closer to xmas (two birds with one stone as can call it his gift haha)

As for GTA, I will try to go down the good parent role initially - so no violent games (for him anyway). This is why a large collection of game choice is important. 

Haha yeah, don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t get that for your child, but there are loads of more child friendly games I believe. 

On 25/05/2020 at 19:47, DE. said:

I haven't played any of 1-5, so I can't comment on them, although from what I gather they are very grindy as old school JRPG's tend to be.

FFVI is really good. I wasn't blown away by it as so many others are, but it might be because I never played it growing up, so the nostalgia factor isn't there for me. I still enjoyed playing it but it was just okay, and there's a difficulty spike at one point in the game which practically ruins it IMO. 

FFVIII is one of my favourites, just behind VII, but the Junction system is kind of broken and makes it really easy to overpower yourself early on and basically destroy every enemy in the game with ease. The story is completely insane but if you're okay with that you will probably enjoy it. 

FFIX gets a lot of praise but personally I've never gotten on with it. I've tried to play it a few times and just became bored every time. It's a shame as I want to like it, but I can't. It might change one day but not right now!

I tried 9 again too, the text conversations feel endless. Gave up after 30 min. 

8 hours ago, JacknOry said:

Ok, question.

So I have primarily been a PC gamer over the years (about 30+) although I did have a lot of the earlier consoles ranging from the Sega Master System, Megadrive, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, PS1 and PS2 as a youngster as well. I stopped buying them after that as I didn't have the time and was already more than satisfied with gaming on a PC. 

I am getting an itch to get back into console gaming a little more, especially as my 8-year old is now showing an interest whenever I am playing my games. Feel like a console is a better option for us to play together. 

My question is, would it be worth getting a PS4 now as obviously, the PS5 is arriving later in the year. My thoughts are that the PS5 in the first year will be very expensive while the PS4 will be at its cheapest. The PS5 will have a limited range of games compared to the PS4 initially at least. I have also been told that it is not a good idea to get new generation consoles in the first year due to potential issues (red ring of death and the like previously) that may need ironing out. For a couple of years at least, I have also been told that new titles will be backwards compatible with the PS4.

He is not old enough to be at that age where he has to have the latest gadgets just yet so just thought that the PS4 would be the best option for now. Get a couple of years worth of fun out of it before upgrading to the PS5. 

Thoughts and advice welcome.

Get the PS 4. Reasonably cheap now with an amazing games catalog. The PS5 will prob take a few years to get going , as they always tend to do.  

• Like 1