BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers World

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will happen, bandwidth clips have doubled since the first start of the World product, so I'm sure we'll move onto the next speed increases.

PTV do collect stats on what are the speeds that the clips are being accessed so it is only a matter of time.

It will happen, bandwidth clips have doubled since the first start of the World product, so I'm sure we'll move onto the next speed increases.

PTV do collect stats on what are the speeds that the clips are being accessed so it is only a matter of time.

Excellent :)

• 3 weeks later...

For me over here it's worth every penny.

Not for me anymore, I'm miffed. I just re-upped my subscription and for some reason the Video Highlights have gone bunk. The whole site now takes forever to load and the video on high setting buffers about every 5 seconds. Whats happened everything worked fine a few week ago video delivery was smooth as silk, no buffering in high, fast loading.

It's as bad (almost) as my old 233mhz. I have a cable connection, 7.5Mbps download, 128mb radeon 300se video, 512mb RAM 2.8Ghz processor. It should handle everything fine. The only other thing I have changed is to download IE7 but I can't put my finger on whether that is when things went to crap or not. All other video downloads fine, just Rovers World.

Like I said it ain't worth a penny :D

Any ideas/input from fellow members would be welcome, or even the great guru LEE could shed a little, it's very frustrating.

Edited by USABlue

Not for me anymore, I'm miffed. I just re-upped my subscription and for some reason the Video Highlights have gone bunk. The whole site now takes forever to load and the video on high setting buffers about every 5 seconds. Whats happened everything worked fine a few week ago video delivery was smooth as silk, no buffering in high, fast loading.

It's as bad (almost) as my old 233mhz. I have a cable connection, 7.5Mbps download, 128mb radeon 300se video, 512mb RAM 2.8Ghz processor. It should handle everything fine. The only other thing I have changed is to download IE7 but I can't put my finger on whether that is when things went to crap or not. All other video downloads fine, just Rovers World.

Any ideas/input from fellow members would be welcome, or even the great guru LEE could shed a little, it's very frustrating.

At the risk of getting all technical, if you're using a Radeon x300 you should be okay, though you REALLY need to upgrade to the x1xxx series. The xXxx series are rubbish.

Are you using a laptop? Is it possible you're not using dedicated RAM for the vid card and you're experiencing slow downs that way? I can also see IE7 having caused the problem. You can roll back to 6 in XP rather easily.

Well that really is a coincidence USABlue. I am having exactly the same problems just as you have described. I have very recently signed up for RW on a 2 month trial, and I am getting the same symptoms as yourself. I had just about decided to terminate my subscription at the end of the trial period. But after seeing your post I am not sure.

The computer spec you quote is virtually identical to mine in every respect, and I too have very recently downloaded and installed IE7. I immediately found that the computer as a whole slowed down to a ludicrous extent, and I used Norton Go-Back v4 to reverse the procedure. This seemed to cure the problem for a time but now I am finding that the slow operation comes and goes with no apparent pattern that I can find as yet.

When the fault does occur it causes the computer to run very very slowly in every application and on the internet too. Even the DVD replay of my recorded Rovers matches are unwatchable and the sound is like a tape recorder running at half speed. All since I installed IE7. Has anyone else had this problem?

a Radeon x300 you should be okay, though you REALLY need to upgrade to the x1xxx series. The xXxx series are rubbish.

Are you using a laptop? Is it possible you're not using dedicated RAM for the vid card and you're experiencing slow downs that way? I can also see IE7 having caused the problem. You can roll back to 6 in XP rather easily.

Please explain, x1xxx- xXxx not sure what you mean, how do I roll back to IE6? I have one game on my 'puter, Call of Duty the card handles that game very well.

Like I said the issue seems to be exclusively Rovers World, I spent 2 hours tonight playing streaming video's from youtube, played some of the clip I have links to, watched all kinds of news videos at Yahoo and my home page, no problems with any of those.

BTW I'm not using a laptop.

Well I did a little more playing around and here is what I found. I got the video to run much much better, still not as good as when I had IE6 but far better than it was. Only a few stutter rathr than the buffering every 5 seconds. What I did was to disable the tabbed browsing feature in IE7, unfortunate since that was the only reason I downloaded it. For the time being if you have IE 6 and you are ok with the performance I'd stick with it.

I'd still like to know how to roll back to IE6. I had already tried restore and it did not want to know.

It's almost midnight thirty so I will try again when volume is likely to be higher.

Edited by USABlue

I'd still like to know how to roll back to IE6. I had already tried restore and it did not want to know.

I also had to get rid of IE7 but for another issue. I just went into control panel -> add and remove programs, and removed IE7. When I rebooted my computer ie6 was just there :)

Just one thing....why has it suddenly decided to tell us that it doesn't work in firefox when it clearly still does?? Seems a bit odd to me.

I'm stuck and will be cancelling. My situation is that it indeed does require that which I don't have:

We are unable to issue a licence to view this content for the following reasons

* An internal error has occured. Please contact customerservices@premiumtv.co.uk.

The service requires that you are using Internet Explorer version 6 or greater and Windows Media Player version 9 or greater. The service is not currently available on Macs.

Since I use Macs and Microsoft no longer upgrades Explorer for Macs, I can see the page but can't access any of the video content.

I guess I could spend a few thousand and buy one one the new Macs that can run both the Mac OS and Windows...but I think not yet.

Oh well <_<

I also had to get rid of IE7 but for another issue. I just went into control panel -> add and remove programs, and removed IE7. When I rebooted my computer ie6 was just there :)

Ah! but that is you, with my luck there will be nothing. Is there a way to back up favourites so at least I don't lose that.

As for doubling the band width, great but not if it puts things so high end that the non geeks amongst us with our year and a half old goodies can not run it. My last computer I kept for 7 years, I hope to keep this one not that long but at least a coulpe more a couple more yet.

It worked fine for me USABlue though I too was a bit apprehensive about doing it.

I think I'll stick to IE6 for the time being.

Well I'm in a quandry now, I have become fond of the tabbed browsing. Firefox won't work for RW and I don't like, no effin hate, the video clips as they are. Perhaps I'll wait to see if Guru Grooby can shed a little light on this technical darkness.

If it worked in IE6 and now doesn't work properly in IE7 then surely thats your answer?

DRM was introduced last month and this has affected Firefox users (that'll be sorted in Jan apparently) and some Mac users have asked for a refund (Feb is the reported time for it to be working on that platform), but we've had no reported problems at all with Internet Explorer.

Not tried IE7 myself, I've heard nothing but bad things about it, but then again I also ditched Firefox 2 off my PC as it was truly awful.

I use two browsers, IE6 for all things Blackburn Rovers related, Firefox 1.508 for everything else.

One other thing about DRM, if your clock is set wrong, it won't work!

One other thing about DRM, if your clock is set wrong, it won't work!

What's DRM? What do you mean clock set wrong. Time not exact?, could the fact we dont use daylight savings in Arizona be an issue? COuld you expand a little Lee? If the issue is IE7 will this be addressed and by who, would it be you folks or Microsoft that has the "issue" Duh, I'm so confused. I wish I had noticed before I renewed

Edited by USABlue

DRM - Digital Rights Management. Unfortunately there has been the need to implement it as some people decided to upload World videos to YouTube and the likes. Therefore DRM should make this a little harder for people to do (I won't say stop as it is Microsoft's DRM!)

I only mentioned the time part because we've found that videos don't play if people have their clock set incorrectly (like back three months so they don't have to pay for expired software), if the clock on your PC is right as far as you are concerned then fine.

As for your IE7 issues, have you actually reported them to PremiumTV?

Well I'm in a quandry now, I have become fond of the tabbed browsing. Firefox won't work for RW and I don't like, no effin hate, the video clips as they are. Perhaps I'll wait to see if Guru Grooby can shed a little light on this technical darkness.

You could use the Maxthon browser - http://www.maxthon.com. The same user layout as IE but with the tabbed browsing, been using that for ages after I had problems with Firefox, and no problems.

DRM - Digital Rights Management. Unfortunately there has been the need to implement it as some people decided to upload World videos to YouTube and the likes. Therefore DRM should make this a little harder for people to do (I won't say stop as it is Microsoft's DRM!)

I only mentioned the time part because we've found that videos don't play if people have their clock set incorrectly (like back three months so they don't have to pay for expired software), if the clock on your PC is right as far as you are concerned then fine.

As for your IE7 issues, have you actually reported them to PremiumTV?

Yes Lee I shot them an e-mail before I mentioned it in here. Have not heard anything yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.