BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Basel

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot ever remember seeing Rovers play at home without wearing the famous blue & white halves :brfc:

Has this ever happened before? :huh:

Historians?? :huh:

This may seem a bit tenous but on Boxing Day 1981 we played our home fixture against Oldham at Boundary Park because our pitch was frozen. We played in our red away strip but it was technically a home game.

http://www.oldhamathletic.premiumtv.co.uk/...,,10337,00.html

Can anyone find anything better than this?

I am really not that keen on the idea of having Mokoena anchoring the midfield in this one (made very little impact against west ham), but we literally seem to have no other option. Also is Tugay going to have the legs? Potentially we could shift Bentley insdie and play Gallagher on the right. Everything is looking so makeshift at the moment.

edit- just realised Savage will be available for this one! Thank god!

Edited by joey_big_nose

At this stage, we don't know if any of MGP, Nonda, Emerton or Savage will be fit on Thursday. We know for sure that Reid, Nelsen and Roberts are out.

Even if we are missing all seven, at least the subs bench will not be as embarassing as the subs Ray Harford was naming for the CL games back in 95/6.

If we think in terms of Basel being the equivalent of a mid-ranking Prem team at best, assuming Hughes has done his prozone homework on them, we should still be slight favourites even with seven players out.

In comparisson, playing Villa with none of our injured players back spells a routine defeat unless we have some of the fortune which was missing at Upton Park.

doesn't tell anything about Emerton apart from that he was missing against West Ham..hopefully he's fit for thursday

I'm a born pessimist - no mention to my mind means no chance for Thursday. So Neill RB (which is OK) and weak LB. If Toddy hadn't p****d on his chips, maybe he'd have been in with a chance of CB with Ooijer moving to RB (when he arrived, wasn't it with a billing that he was a CB/RB?) and Lucas returning to LB? If Savage and Nonda are back and fit, I'd be reasonably happy with the midfield/forwards.

i fancy us in europe, a win and we are through.

after sundays dissapointment and hopefully the return of some key players i would start with:

friedel

bert mk2 oiijer zurab neill

bentley savage tugay gamst

derbyshire benni

emerton and gamst should return and fairplay they was missed against the irons.

with nonda(doubtfull) and roberts(out). jeffers looked ######, gallagher or my choice, the local lad derbyshire given a chance up front with benni.

1-0 ooijer

If Emerton is out, and I really hope he isn't!!, we could play this:

freidal

Ooijer    Zurab    Henchoz    Neill

Bentley  Tugay    Savage     Peter

Nonda   McCarthy

Problem is it takes Ooijer out of the centre and he has been our fondation recently. I jut really don't want to see McEverly or Gray play.

I thought Peter was good if not brilliant against WH and should retain his starting place.While he hardly created vast amounts of oportunities he did marginally better than MGP has recently, andactually beat his full back a few times. Gally should get a run out in some capacity too, maybe giving Tugay a rest for the last half hour.

In a way European football seems to suit us better than the Premiership at the moment, which is probably not that suprising considering out of our first XI only Savage and Neill can really be considered to have a typically British style of play. In that department we really miss the physicality of Nelsen and Reid. Roberts was supposed to be our 'Dixie Dean' (we wish) target man too...

here's basel's 1st team squad : http://www.fcb.ch/start.html

constanzo is a decent keeper (got to uefa final with alavez), baumann is a top class defender and petric is the up and coming star of croatian football.

most of the forwards are big lads! :blink:

I've seen ivan ergic when he was at perth glory, made the serbian world cup squad. The two aussie boys chipperfield and sterjovski seen them a fair bit. Chip on the left and sterjovski on the right, hope the full back are alert with sterjovski being the bigger threat.

I've seen ivan ergic when he was at perth glory, made the serbian world cup squad. The two aussie boys chipperfield and sterjovski seen them a fair bit. Chip on the left and sterjovski on the right, hope the full back are alert with sterjovski being the bigger threat.

chipperfield is an ex bus driver isnt he ?

has sterjovski only recently converted to midfield ? i'm sure he played upfront against man utd last season.

As long as the useless Henchoz and Jeffers stays long away from the starting XI

Why dont you just give it a chuffin rest!!

This is a squad game and they are in our :brfc: squad

Face it, Jeffers is now the 3rd choice striker. Iin my opinion he deserves to get 90 mins under his belt in the home game on thursday. Henchoz didnt really do anything wrong last week against chelsea, i know that they got in behind a couple of times but they did have a rather fast front line.

I should know better, but why do people slate these players, they play for rovers :brfc: not for the opposition, its what we have.

We're struggling for this one. After complaining about the Premiership season getting off to a stuttering start, thanks to the International breaks, I'm left hoping that we survive until the next one. The team is pretty make shift at the moment, and several of the players must be on their last legs - Tugay especially, though Benni has looked tired of late, and Neill can't be in great shape.

Too many matches in too short a period of time for too small a squad. Having said that, with the home advantage, I fancy us taking at least a draw from this one. Where the goals are coming from however is another matter!

As long as Gray and the axe don't play we should be ok i think. These two players are terrible and i will be very suprised if Gray wears a Blackburn shirt again

Whilst Gray had a good season last yr I was surprised at his inclusion yesterday. Hopefully bert will be back and we can revert Neill back to LB. Mokena is just a waste of a shirt I really struggle to see anything he offers the team. Hope Savage is back yesterday showed how much he is missed he is the heartbeat of the team. Just ask any big club supporters !

Feeling confident we seem to be up for the UEFA campaign

3 - 0 victory

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.