Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Basel

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rovers 2 : 1 FC Basel

Predictions from their forum:- http://www.fcbforum.ch/showthread.php?t=19846

Well, Scotti ( you cad!) is going to score for them, and Jeffers is going to score 17 for us. Interesting.

just looked on the sky website and went back to the home game against Salzburg and it shows Bentley being booked, so Mr Bentley will have to be on his best behaviour tommorrow night

Blackburn v Basle

UEFA CUP

Group E: Blackburn v Basle

Date: Thursday 2 November

Kick off: 1945 BST

Venue: Ewood Park

My ticket says 20:00. Will I miss part of the match?

McCarthy and Jeffers looked like two strangers on Sunday, so getting Nonda up top with benni is a must if we are to progress.

Jeffers looks like he is getting better with more games played. We might not have any other choices up front and I would prefer not to risk Nonda unless he is fully fit. There are some tough league games coming up where we will need all the squad we can get.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that Jeffers will fit well enough with McCarthy given more time on the pitch together.

Bizarre random image from Basel board in an attempt to sum Rovers up? Inspired the creators of the Beatles Yellow Submarine cartoon epic!

IPB Image

The pictures are featured on P 14 of " A Photographic History of English Football" by Tim Hill, which, strangely enough, I have just read, having been given it as a Christmas present last year.

Edited by 92er

According to Lee on the official messageboard less than 10000 tickets have been sold so far. I think we can forget any ticket promotions of this kind in the future if this is the response it meets with.

Lets hope a few thousand fans are waiting until tomorrow to buy their tickets. I personally thought there'd be slightly less than the Salzburg game but not this low!

:(

Gallagher on the left wing..... nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

Pedersen or Peter surely.

Gallagher played most of the season he was at Stoke on the left wing and scored a fair number of goals for them from there.

Well, Scotti ( you cad!) is going to score for them, and Jeffers is going to score 17 for us. Interesting.

My ticket says 20:00. Will I miss part of the match?

Why do you think it was so cheap? :lol:

Bizarre random image from Basel board in an attempt to sum Rovers up? Inspired the creators of the Beatles Yellow Submarine cartoon epic!

IPB Image

If it is not too impertinent of me Ozzie, may I ask why you are doing a commercial for ICI with your signature?

According to Lee on the official messageboard less than 10000 tickets have been sold so far. I think we can forget any ticket promotions of this kind in the future if this is the response it meets with.

Lets hope a few thousand fans are waiting until tomorrow to buy their tickets. I personally thought there'd be slightly less than the Salzburg game but not this low!

:(

Well there seemed to be a steady trickle when I popped down this afternoon. There was at that time four booths open and everyone seemed to be there for Basel tickets.

As for 'promotion'...not sure how this kind of pricing can be described as a 'promotion'. It's the early stages of the Uefa Cup, teams like Middlesbrough and Bolton had gates of around that last year while also having cheap tickets. £15 is a reasonable price for such a game. I don't think £30 is. Tottenham will no doubt charge far more for their game; however, is the average wage in North London the same as that in East Lancs? The club has to price its product for its customers, it means we can't expect the same from ticket revenue as Spurs but tough. That's life. If the prices were £30 for all then how many would be there?

Actually...just checked...Middlebrough for the group games last year saw 12,953 against Dnipro and and 9,436 against Liteks Lovetch. As for Bolton they got, against Zenit St Petersburg, 15,905 and 15,623 against Sevilla in the group stages.

We could well beat those attendances tomorrow...so I don't see how it is fair to bemoan the numbers going. Seriously...how many could we really expect to get for a Thursday night November match against Basel?

Hopefully a gate of at least 16,000 or so will be there tomorrow.

It's £15 in total for tickets to Basel and Nancy- ie £7.50 each for season ticket holders, therefore we'd expect a captive audience of around 13,000. £15 for ANY game involving a premier league club is a bargain. I paid £28 for each of my three Celtic home Champions League matches and thought that was a bargain.

As for saying £15 is reasonable for a group stage game in the UEFA cup, I actually despair. What planet do people who say that live on? We're in Europe. These nights are supposed to be prestigious and the whole reason for us to try to do well. If they're not good enough for some Rovers fans- they should go and support Accy Stanley in the Johnston's paint trophy Northern Section or whatever it's called. For £15 that's what they should be getting.

Edited by Jan

It's £15 in total for tickets to Basel and Nancy- ie £7.50 each for season ticket holders, therefore we'd expect a captive audience of around 13,000. £15 for ANY game involving a premier league club is a bargain. I paid £28 for each of my three Celtic home Champions League matches and thought that was a bargain.

As for saying £15 is reasonable for a group stage game in the UEFA cup, I actually despair. What planet do people who say that live on? We're in Europe. These nights are supposed to be prestigious and the whole reason for us to try to do well. If they're not good enough for some Rovers fans- they should go and support Accy Stanley in the Johnston's paint trophy Northern Section or whatever it's called. For £15 that's what they should be getting.

Jan

100% agree..its us poor fouls on the motorway at 1am people should feel sorry for not the cant be bothered brigade because its November, Thursday, cold and £15...where's the passion!

Jan

100% agree..its us poor fouls on the motorway at 1am people should feel sorry for not the cant be bothered brigade because its November, Thursday, cold and £15...where's the passion!

Please - no fouls on the motorway at 1am. :o

I am travelling straight after work and won't get in till 1am but thats my perogative, not going to berate others for not going.

Part of me thinks, hmm, is an option sitting in the house, watching game and having a nice cuppa and not rushing down (might be thinking 'if only I had done that' coming back tomorrow if it's a lacklustre game!).

However I feel I need to grab these matches while I can, is a priviledge to play in Europe and may not happen too often. Thats what will drive me on as I am running towards the ground in the hope I might make the kick off :P

As for saying £15 is reasonable for a group stage game in the UEFA cup, I actually despair. What planet do people who say that live on? We're in Europe.

Or for crying out loud Jan, open your eyes will you? It's Blackburn! What planet do YOU live on? Planet Jan - it certainly isn't related to what is happening in Blackburn. You can make statements all you like about what everyone who says they are Rovers fans should be doing according to you but the club has to operate in the real world. They won't actually get any of those lapsed fans back in. Lower prices might, putting them up obviously doesn't. Do you just want the crowds to go down year after year after year?

Seriously, how much do you think Rovers should be charging for the game against Basel? It's £15 for non-season ticket holders. What price do you think it really should be? Moreover, how many would come at those prices?

This isn't Man U, it isn't Chelsea, it's Blackburn Rovers - a small club in a Northern town hardly known for wealth. £15 is reasonable if they want to get people in for a Thursday game. Why you are bringing Celtic into it I don't know - those will iinclude packed-out games against Man U and Benfica. They can turn people away while we have to constantly advertise and have special offers to get people in. That is the planet Rovers have to live on.

Both Bolton and Middlesbrough struggled with crowds at this stage last season while having deals on the tickets, I'm bemused as to why you expect Rovers to be operating in a different economic reality to clubs like those.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

Gallagher played most of the season he was at Stoke on the left wing and scored a fair number of goals for them from there.

Yes your right, most people dont realise he only scored a few goals actually playing as a striker for stoke ( and was pretty crap playing as a striker ), most of the 12 goals he scored for stoke were from the left or right wing. He also had the most assists for stoke as well.

That is absolutely scandalous if its about the number of tickets sold. I will be tempted to £$%^ anyone I know who isnt going tonight - what do they want? We're in Europe, the tickets are cheap and we play good football....................... IDIOTS!!! Really winds me up.

Yes he can [be worse than Grey]. McEveley's favoured position isn't even left back.

Right back is not Emerton's favoured position, but he has been playing some of his best football for us there! And he's been one of our best players too.

So the favoured position excuse can't be taken into account. McEveley all the way for me. Give him a few games and I'm sure he can put in a regular performance for us, even if not spectacular. Gray is too much of a liability in better times and was not even rated when we were struggling against relegation by Hughes. Fair play, he did put some doubts to bed last year but he's off-form again and this fully grown adult in his 30s is being knocked around by 19 year olds off the field. ;)

I'm optimistic for this one. 2-1 to the Rovers. McCarthy and Bentley to continue their brilliant scoring records. Both score off each other's rebounded shot.

I will be tempted to £$%^ anyone I know who isnt going tonight - what do they want?

Alternatively you could encourage them to go instead. Berating people is not going to help the situation. It's not easy as some of them are lazy and prefer the pub but Rovers need all the support they can get.

Edited by FourLaneBlue

watching sky sports news last night and they were saying Savage will not be fit for tonight but not heard it from anyone else yet

Could be looking like the same 11 as we played at West Ham then... :(

Really could be a last chance saloon for some of these boys if as we hope some of our injuries start to clear up.

Edited by Somerset Rover!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.