BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers Forget How To Defend Corner

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

zurab had a free header from a corner against whu, got underneath it and there was nobody within 5 yards of him.

the last time we were a threat from corners was when we had a defender who was in love with the treatment table and had a sicknote for the season, italian stallion amoruso was powering headers in the net.

It wouldn't have stopped the goal against West Ham but having a player on each post would have given us a good chance of stopping the goals conceded against both Liverpool and Wisla Krakow.

Yet on Sunday there was nobody on the back post meaning that Brad had a lot of area to cover. Wouldn't have made any difference as Mullins smacked more or less in the centre anyway from a few yards out but seriously...

What do they do in training? :D:P

Surely if we are conceding goals from corners we should have someone on both posts? Bring another forward back or something, it's not like we seem that great on counter attacking from opposition corners anyway.

When was the last time we looked like we might possibly get an attempt on goal from a corner, why is it that the second West Ham got that second half corner I knew they'd get a player free on goal to score a simple goal ?

Zurab got an unmarked header against West Ham. Just a tiny bit to high. Also wasnt Neill's effort after a corner? (not sure on the second one). We are quite dangerous at corners. Teams know that and pull as many people back as possible. How many teams leave two upfront against us at corners?

for me you should always have a player on each post. Also its important to attack the ball at set plays and corners, some thing that rovers do not always do, and to end with even if you cannot get the ball you put pressure on the attacking players at all times.

As for sunday well if gray is our cover for full backs, we are lost, in the past I have stated that he is not a bad players, however is legs have gone as is his pace and for a full back that is time to call it a day.

For there first goal Zurab went to win a high ball half way up the pitch did not make good contact and we are one down.

second half far better but all puff and not much outcome, so roll on thurday

Interesting theories on this but as a goalkeeper I always had players on each post and IMO it should be Friedal who calls the shots in these situations - so what has happened to a goalkeeper controlling his area?

He will have the best view and should be able to dictate for the Rovers players to mark the men. He should have control of the situation but to me that does not appear to be the case.

corners will dominate this weeks training sessions.

That's probably half of the problem.

If the only practice our defenders get in training is provided by the dross being sent into opposition boxes by MGP and co - it's not bloody surprising we can't defend corners.

What I find infuriating is it's not a new problem. Hughes and co have UEFA pro licences coming out of their ears - the best coaching set up in the world according to some people on here.

So why - match after match after match - are we so incompetent when it comes to defending corners and at the other end making even just the odd one count. I mean it's as basic as it gets!!!

The Norwegian David Beckham :rolleyes: can take some of the blame, but as none of the other players can take a decent corner either, then the coaching staff have to take most of the criticism for these failings.

Edited by Tris

I think corner taking is bad across the league. I put it down to players trying to be too fancy with their delivery. If you watch Henry, Lampard, MGP and Co. take one, they try to strike a ball to give it as much spin and curl as possible, like a free kick. However just like a free kick they frequently go anywhere but where they should. What happeend to the days when players put the ball in a dangerous area and let others attack it. They can all put a ball where they want to, why try to be fancy?

The most consistent scorers at free kicks and corners are those players who set off from further out and make a late run towards the goal - the impetus gives them power and the ability to out-jump those around them, and by making a late run they cannot be marked easily - and if they are dragged to the floor there is more chance of refs seeing it.

Our attackers at corners walk to the penalty spot, stop then don't move when the corner is taken. Invariably enough MGP puts it straight into the keepers arms or hits the first player anyway.

Also, Lucas should be great at attacking corners - yet always seems to be covering at the back whilst someone like Kishy - not the greatest header or huge physical presence of the ball goes forward.

I'd like to see Bert Mk2 take a few out-swinging corners from the left hand side personally.

As for the defending of corners - It would be nice just to see one of our players attack the ball rather than just trying to stop the other side making runs.

I was just thinking about this defensive matter, and then suddenly something occured to me.

Whenever Neill plays on the left of defence Gamst has poor matches, however when Gray plays Gamst's performances are much improved. Does anyone have any idea why this is??

Im just thinking that maybe its time to let Neill go and sign a decent out and out left back to replace Gray who has played woefully this season.

We could also do with a decent new midfielder as we seem to be falling short big time in the midfield department, due to injuries...

Maybe Gamst just doesn't look as bad.

Nah- he was just as bad tonight as he's been all season. I think people have forgotten because they've had relief from the ineptitude for a week. And Basle offered nothing on the right.

It wouldn't have stopped the goal against West Ham but having a player on each post would have given us a good chance of stopping the goals conceded against both Liverpool and Wisla Krakow.

Don't expect us to start any time soon FLB, I started this topic almost a year ago to the day:

Defending Corners.

It's best just not to think about it, it was driving me mental getting wound up about it.

Nah- he was just as bad tonight as he's been all season. I think people have forgotten because they've had relief from the ineptitude for a week. And Basle offered nothing on the right.

According to most people on this board he had a very good second half yesterday?? :blink:<_<:tu:

My God you're miserable aren't you? Moan moan moan. You're like that kid in the Peanuts cartoon who has a perminent raincloud above his head. And on the rare occaision you do say something positive you have to ruin by having a go at a certain ex-manager.

Really, just watch you favourite Bigot Brother then you might cheer up. Mind you, they did get whumped on Wednesday.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.