BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

McCarthy isnt good enough for Utd or any of the top four. Not 100% convinced he's good enough for us.

He needs to buckle down and prove himself with a second successful season rather than 'dreaming' about a big move.

McCarthy isnt good enough for Utd or any of the top four. Not 100% convinced he's good enough for us.

He needs to buckle down and prove himself with a second successful season rather than 'dreaming' about a big move.

:rover: just imagine how many goals he would have this season playing upfront for the reds :brfc:

Benni will not go to Manure, they will want someone who is a better player than him. Benni is a good player but he is so lazy at times nevermind the amount of times he is found offside. As Billy Castell said, they will go for someone like Luca Toni or David Villa.

If Benni has a successful second season and improves his all round game he may be able to get himself a move to one of the top clubs in the Premiership but i think his goals have masked a few inept performances. Then again a striker is judged on his goals, and goals he has scored.

Can we have a decnt striker that stays for more than one season? Having said that, I expect Man Utd to go for a 'bigger' player, someone like Villa, Luca Toni or that Dutch bloke called Hunter or something who plays for Ajax.

Klaas Jan Huntelaar.

Not 100% convinced he's [McCarthy's] good enough for us.

If he's not good enough for us, then we need to get rid of our whole strikeforce. Then you have to wonder who, out of the players we can actually attract, would even be good enough according to this standard.

Can we have a decnt striker that stays for more than one season? Having said that, I expect Man Utd to go for a 'bigger' player, someone like Villa, Luca Toni or that Dutch bloke called Hunter or something who plays for Ajax.

Or Torres. Rumour has it that United's big three signings this summer will be Torres, Hargreaves and Bale.

If he's not good enough for us, then we need to get rid of our whole strikeforce. Then you have to wonder who, out of the players we can actually attract, would even be good enough according to this standard.

My original wording was a little misleading, my point was that I'm not convinced he's irreplacable.

Losing him would not dissapoint me as much as when we lost Shearer, Sutton and Bellamy, mind you, I never really rated Simon Garner .........

my point was that I'm not convinced he's irreplacable.

Losing him would not dissapoint me as much as when we lost Shearer, Sutton and Bellamy, mind you, I never really rated Simon Garner .........

He certainly isn't irreplacable.

Whilst his goals have been invaluable, his general attitude leaves alot to be desired. Offside more than any player I have ever seen and a reluctance to do much running off the ball, he annoys me very much.

Whilst his goals have been invaluable, his general attitude leaves alot to be desired. Offside more than any player I have ever seen and a reluctance to do much running off the ball, he annoys me very much.

Maybe I should replace him.

Im rubbish and I won't score any goals, but at least I would have the right attitude.

:blink:

I agree he isn't irreplacable - but as has been shown in our not too distant past - we have previously paid far more for strikers who have done far worse than Benni.

I also think that his work rate is underrated - possibly because - as you point out - it is often his general attitude that seems amiss. I do think that his work rate has improved drastically - but he will always seem lazy compared to Derbyshire. Also - to be fair to the guy - he has played virtually every game in (what has been) a long season - especially compared to what he has previously been used to.

Many of the mutterings against Benni will hopefully fade into the distant past as he puts in match winning performances in the FA Cup Semi's and Final B)

to be honest, I'm not interested. I don't mind Benni goes to somewhere. I'm not still excited his performance. sorry.

(and , I 've never seen the players doing well for other club move from Rovers to so-called Big club.)

Edited by dillo_dillo

I also think that his work rate is underrated - possibly because - as you point out - it is often his general attitude that seems amiss.

But that's just it - there hasn't been any workrate - all he has really done has been contiually flagged off side most of the time , and bar his goal against Arse (after being dropped) and the 2 penalties against Notlob there has been nothing to write home about except maybe what he did at Reading before Xmas.

I think some people are massively missing the point. His game has never ever ever been about workrate. Mark Hughes knows this. He has already said that he does more running now in a game than he has ever done in his career. The man has scored 20 goals this season. He cost as much as we got for Shefki Kuqi. He doesn't get his goals by harassing defenders, it just isn't his style. If he'd scored 5 all season then by all means criticise him. But what he is doing IS WORKING. We have taken points that we've had no right to take because of him. If we sign three 25 goal a season strikers with amazing workrate then drop him like a tonne of bricks. But until then, what are we moaning about?

I've also read that he "should have 25 goals by now if he worked harder". Well why don't we put that money towards a 15 goal a season partner and have TWO dangerous strikers, instead of fantacising about replacing our best one? Recently we have been spoiled with workrate. McCarthy is a little different - one of the most skillful players I've ever seen at Ewood. Are we really that 2 dimensional as supporters that we can't just enjoy that?

20 goals. Surely that says it all.

How some people can say get rid of a player who has scored 20 goals is beyond me. This is his first season in the Prem, we have seem very very big money players fail to make anywhere near the impression Benni has. It takes time to adjust to the Prem, we need to keep him and get him a decent partner up front.

It would be daft to even consider selling him.

I think some people are massively missing the point. His game has never ever ever been about workrate. Mark Hughes knows this. He has already said that he does more running now in a game than he has ever done in his career. The man has scored 20 goals this season. He cost as much as we got for Shefki Kuqi. He doesn't get his goals by harassing defenders, it just isn't his style. If he'd scored 5 all season then by all means criticise him. But what he is doing IS WORKING. We have taken points that we've had no right to take because of him. If we sign three 25 goal a season strikers with amazing workrate then drop him like a tonne of bricks. But until then, what are we moaning about?

I've also read that he "should have 25 goals by now if he worked harder". Well why don't we put that money towards a 15 goal a season partner and have TWO dangerous strikers, instead of fantacising about replacing our best one? Recently we have been spoiled with workrate. McCarthy is a little different - one of the most skillful players I've ever seen at Ewood. Are we really that 2 dimensional as supporters that we can't just enjoy that?

That's bang on that post.

I get frustrated supporting football sometimes and when people criticise Benni it makes me feel very sad.

"He would have scored 25 goals by now" How do you know this? if he is knackering himself out instead of playing his own game (which he has had for his whole career) he might not get any goals. His "laziness" creates space for other players. Just ask Derbyshire

20 goals. Surely that says it all.

How some people can say get rid of a player who has scored 20 goals is beyond me.

He's black. If he was white, he'd be god. Anyone who thinks the criticism isn't based on this is extremely naive.

He's black. If he was white, he'd be god. Anyone who thinks the criticism isn't based on this is extremely naive.

I don't think it's that cut and dried Jan. Most people are slightly more intelligent than that. However, I WOULD suggest that if it were Paul Gallagher in exactly the same situation then nobody would have any problems whatsoever.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.