BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

How can you call someone a true Rover with seven appearances for the club, OK he came through the academy and was probably sold against his will.

He's never been quoted or even suggested he would want to return to us as far as I know.

Being a fan of the club, maybe? I wouldn't call him a true rover myself. The true rovers are the ones that pay to watch the team. Not those who are paid to play for the team (whether they are fans or not). Him being a fan is a reason he would fit in imo. I think we need a battler up front so that Kalinic doesn't have to fight so much and can use his talents accordingly. We now have Olsson putting crosses in; maybe Beattie can get on the end of those? It's all ifs and buts, but what transfer isn't?

I like Benni as a player and think he is one of the most skillful players in our squad. However, he hasn't created as much as you would expect from a player of his calibre and certainly hasn't scored as many goals as he should in the last couple of years. His best appears to be behind him now. Whether that is a state of mind or reality makes little difference because, one way or another, he hasn't produced and won't while he is here. I would rather he went abroad than stayed in the Premier League because I think a change of scenery may well buck him up a bit and I would rather not see him play against us with a point to prove because that Benni is very dangerous. Benni for Beattie? Both players need a change but how long will the new club/proving a point last with either of them? I'd much rather trade Benni for someone else younger and hungrier. I'd much, much rather see a Bennie with a point to prove for us.

Edited by CrazyIvan
  • Like 1

How can you call someone a true Rover with seven appearances for the club, OK he came through the academy and was probably sold against his will.

He's never been quoted or even suggested he would want to return to us as far as I know.

He certainly never wanted to leave. There were plenty of reports that he held out as long as he could before joining Stoke from Sheffield Utd because he wanted to come here. Sam wanted to buy him but Board said "no dosh".

Edited by 47er

He's a true Rover because he's supported Rovers since he was a child and he still supports them now and he was born in the local area. I really don't know of any other necessary criteria to be labelled a true Rover.

We sell him to West Ham and we all know what is going to happen in just over a weeks time when we play them!

Selling to a relegation rival isn't a smart thing to do, but i suppose if it is where the money is then we have to.

Benni has a few years yet and I bet he starts every game he isn't injured. Wait for the goals to flow in.

He probabaly had a letter about his permit at some point but couldnt be arsed reading it. He just put the letter to one side with his big thick bank statements and take away menus.

I wouldn't want him after this as he will have a right sulk on him. He has had issues at every club hes been at - West Ham are welcome to him.

Sam won't lend him out btw - we need the cash now!

The advantage of a loan being he can't play against us so avoiding the situation none of us want of his scoring a cracker against us.

YEP - because we all know if he goes on a permanent now, that is what will happen!

He will save West Ham if they sign him & play him every week.

We should use Benni like we used Shearer-Just give him the ball and let him win matches for us, I really think he is that good. His skill, control, vision and finishing are world class.

Opinions have certainly changed ;)

Benni bic mac is a perfect example of your washed-up, past it, journeyman footballer who's lost his hunger for the game (though not for McDonalds, clearly).

If we can get anything like £1.5m+ for him, then we should look to sell and put it towards either bringing in Di Santo on a permanent basis or to replace the likes of Diouf, Pedersen, Hoilett, Dunn and Andrews who will more than likely all be off in the summer.

Simple.

£3m for the loan....free transfer if they want to keep him on a permanent after.

Alan Nixon is reporting they are considering an 18 month loan for 1.75 million.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Benni-McCarthy-close-to-agreeing-long-term-loan-move-to-West-Ham-article297041.html

If true, the good news is he won't be able to play against us.

Who is financially responsible if a loaned player is injured?

We sell him to West Ham and we all know what is going to happen in just over a weeks time when we play them!

Selling to a relegation rival isn't a smart thing to do, but i suppose if it is where the money is then we have to.

Benni has a few years yet and I bet he starts every game he isn't injured. Wait for the goals to flow in.

If BFS sells him, he will deserve every goal he smashes in our net in a few week's time.

Edited by Mr. E

Sell benni to fund a move for di santo who can't score for ###### but runs about alot...good call

20 year old talent versus 32 yr old has been.

Seem to remember people saying similar things about Sinama Pongolle (runs around a lot ((very quickly)) but can't score). Bet you'd have him back now though. Di Santo would be a cracking investment.

Edited by Wing Wizard Windy Miller

Again based on what? His amazing goal scoring record? His amazing assists tally?

He has a half decent first touch and runs around alot, and thats about it. He has never been a decent goal scorer (just look at his returns for past clubs). We alreadly have one massive gamble on the go with Kalanic, to spunk another 5million up the wall on someone like Di Santo.

Di Santo has 15 starts, 3 sub appearances and has 1 goal to his name. Im sorry but that is a joke for someone who calls themself a premiership striker. Even tripe like Dickov and Kuqi scored ALOT more than that.

And on Pongolle no i wouldn't, 5 starts and 8 sub appearances and only has 1 goal to show for it.

He is an appalling example of a journeyman.

I thought he'd been around more teams than he has. Still, the first two points stand. Furthermore, I remember him really angling for a move away after his first season with us and his attitude has been terrible for a long while now.

Again based on what? His amazing goal scoring record? His amazing assists tally?

He has a half decent first touch and runs around alot, and thats about it. He has never been a decent goal scorer (just look at his returns for past clubs). We alreadly have one massive gamble on the go with Kalanic, to spunk another 5million up the wall on someone like Di Santo.

Di Santo has 15 starts, 3 sub appearances and has 1 goal to his name. Im sorry but that is a joke for someone who calls themself a premiership striker. Even tripe like Dickov and Kuqi scored ALOT more than that.

And on Pongolle no i wouldn't, 5 starts and 8 sub appearances and only has 1 goal to show for it.

I used Di Santo more as an example. Although, I certainly wouldn't be adverse to him joining were the fee acceptable. He is young and looks promising. I'd rather the money be used on improving the midfield though.

Benni does next to nothing these days. Benni's stats since his first season have hardly been amazing.

EDIT: Oh, and Kalinic looks bloody good. Have you not been watching him?!

Edited by tcj_jones

Di santo may be a flop but he is only 20 and leading the line is a tough job,he has pace,skill,awareness and is good in the air with the right coaching he will come good. To right him off already is tripe and comparing him to dickov and kuqi is daft.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.