BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

We had the best of him during his first season with us. He faded very quickly, but very rarely do you see players leaving us and ever having any sort of success elsewhere (be it form or medals).

Always thought Beattie, Davies and Given did well after leaving us in terms of football but they either did not get the chance at rovers or just didnt shine here, but we do seem to be the extreme, 90% of those who leave (esp after doing well here) tend to turn into complete disasters even historically back to the Shearer days.

Berg/May went to United and are the exceptions to the rule. Le Saux did well at Chelsea as well. Duff relatively well at Chelsea too. What did Sherwood ever win? For the players from the title winning season, most didnt taste success later, and for most of those who left in later years most had their best days with us or didnt achieve the aspirations they supposedly had when they left us. Not a myth. Curse of the Rovers! :rover:

Lets say they found out the grass is NOT greener on the other side.

Alan Shearer

David Bentley

Roque Santa Cruz

Benni McCarthy

Lucas Neill

Tim Sherwood (Played well over 200 games for us winning the league in 7 seasons but managed less than half those games for the next 6 years, falling out at Spurs and finishing off at Pompey)

Friedel? (Bankruptcy?)

Those are 7 off the top of my head.

What has Friedels bankruptcy got to do with the grass being greener?

He has had as successful a career as he would have had here otherwise, and the economy going tits up with a lack of interest in football across the Atlantic hardly counter balances that.

Bentley and RSC are arguably the only flops in your list.

Alan Shearer

David Bentley

Roque Santa Cruz

Benni McCarthy

Lucas Neill

Tim Sherwood (Played well over 200 games for us winning the league in 7 seasons but managed less than half those games for the next 6 years, falling out at Spurs and finishing off at Pompey)

Friedel? (Bankruptcy?)

The great tragedy in football was Shearer going to Newscastle.

Don't get me wrong he would have been nuts stayig at Blackburn under Harford, but he should have gone on to be the greatest ever striker at a club like Real Madrid or AC Milan

What a waste.

Dam shame.

ironicall the grass may have not been greener, but their bank balance was extremely green.

Neill made a load of money out of West Ham

Edited by chris

Guest linganzi

Don't get me wrong he would have been nuts stayig at Blackburn under Harford, but he should have gone on to be the greatest ever striker at a club like Real Madrid or AC Milan

What a waste.

Dam shame.

ironicall the grass may have not been greener, but their bank balance was extremely green.

Neill made a load of money out of West Ham

Shearer was a bottler that got what he deserved, nothing, he wasn't brave enough to go to united and win stuff , he took the option of being the local hero whatever the weather. We all know what an irrelevant club they are

Berg/May went to United and are the exceptions to the rule. Le Saux did well at Chelsea as well. Duff relatively well at Chelsea too. What did Sherwood ever win? For the players from the title winning season, most didnt taste success later, and for most of those who left in later years most had their best days with us or didnt achieve the aspirations they supposedly had when they left us. Not a myth. Curse of the Rovers! :rover:

Hmmmmm!.......You have just made sure that no decent talent will ever join Rovers again. :rolleyes:

Guest linganzi

I'd say the easy option would have been to go to United, sit back and collect the trophies.

Took more bravery going to a smaller club, one that he truly loved - and that's admirable.

He would have had to work for it and win over the fans, at Newcastle he was player of the season if he farted.

Still I bet he is glad he has so few medals

Lets takes our player of the season list.. bar last season..

2005–06 Bellamy Could not get a first team spot now at Cardiff

2006–07 Bentley Flopped at spuds, now out on loan to brum

2007–08 Santa Cruz Could not get a first team spot, often injured now back here

2008–09 Warnock Now a squad player, struggling to say the least and even blamed by boss for villas form.

Throw in the likes of Benni and Neil, all our so called big name sales in the last few years have been flops too the extreme.

Edited by Veevs

hang on so from his list Benni and Neil have been successful at their respective clubs...?

The point I'm making is their careers did not get any worse did they? They won nothing, well neither have we, therefore their careers have hardly been flushed downthe toilet.

Benni threw his own career away so doesn't count, Neil went to west ham instead of Liverpool and I agree has paid the price.

All I'm saying is that most of the players went to other clubs and by and large enjoyed the same success they had at rovers, or would have had if they stayed.

Whoever said sutton flopped, well what about his success at Celtic?

Do you blame bentley for trying his luck at spurs? A number of the players mentioned fell foul of management changes shortly after completing their moves.

Alan Shearer

David Bentley

Roque Santa Cruz

Benni McCarthy

Lucas Neill

Friedel? (Bankruptcy?)

A very Rovers-tinted view there!

Shearer broke records at Newcastle. Neill went on to captain West Ham, now earning big money at Galatasary. Sherwood was a regular for Spurs, didn't all his England caps come whilst there? Friedel was challenging for a Champions League place last year, still first choice there now. Not sure Benni applies, we sold him because he wasn't good enough any more.

The others I'll give you!

Edited by LeChuck

What a waste.

Dam shame.

Shearer let his heart rule his head going to Newcastle and for a player of his ability to only have one major honour to his name is a tradgedy for sure.The thought of him at Man Utd would have been frightening...they simply would have been unstoppable!

For an English footballer to play for either Madrid or Milan must surely be a chance not to be missed.

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

Shearer was a great striker but the greatest ever if he went to Europe.....Jeez, that is rose coloured glasses. He is not even the greatest in PL history let alone what has come before throughout the globe....

I think there is definately a curse....

Shearer bottled and remained the "main man" at a lesser club, Neill, Sherwood, Benni, Freidel, RSC, Bentley, Warnock, Sutton, Bellamy etc NEVER refound the form they had at Rovers, trophies, armbands, eng reps means nothing when you never show the same form or quality that gave you the opportunity to leave in the first place.

He is not even the greatest in PL history let alone what has come before throughout the globe....

he's the record premier league goalscorers isn't he? And considered one of englands greatest ever strikers. To say he's not the the greatest in PL history is wrong IMO

he's the record premier league goalscorers isn't he? And considered one of englands greatest ever strikers. To say he's not the the greatest in PL history is wrong IMO

Better the Henry, Klinsmann, Drogba, Cantona and Bergkamp? Equal with Cole, Zola, Rush, Owen, Fowler, Wright, RVN and Sheringham

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.