[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

An interesting comparisson made by the Guardian:

51 players with more goals than Shevchenko

Premiership scorers 2006-07

19 Didier Drogba (Chelsea)

16 Cristiano Ronaldo (Man Utd)

15 Benni McCarthy (Blackburn)

13 Wayne Rooney (Man Utd)

12 Kevin Doyle (Reading), Yakubu Aiyegbeni (Middlesbrough), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool)

11 Frank Lampard (Chelsea), Nicolas Anelka (Bolton), Obafemi Martins (Newcastle), Darren Bent (Charlton), Bobby Zamora (West Ham), Robin van Persie (Arsenal), Andrew Johnson (Everton)

10 Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Mark Viduka (Middlesbrough), Nwankwo Kanu (Portsmouth)

9 Peter Crouch (Liverpool), Brian McBride (Fulham), Emile Heskey (Wigan), Dimitar Berbatov (Tottenham)

8 Gareth Barry (Aston Villa), Louis Saha (Man United), Robbie Keane (Tottenham), Gilberto Silva (Arsenal), Matthew Taylor (Portsmouth), Mikel Arteta (Everton), Rob Hulse (Sheff Utd), Gabriel Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Jermain Defoe (Tottenham)

7 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (Man Utd), Shabani Nonda (Blackburn), Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Leroy Lita (Reading), Craig Bellamy (Liverpool)

6 Paul Scholes (Man Utd), Salomon Kalou (Chelsea), Gary Speed (Bolton), Henri Camara (Wigan), Hameur Bouazza (Watford), Joey Barton (Man City), Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham), Kevin Davies (Bolton), Morten Gamst Pedersen (Blackburn)

5 Carlos Bocanegra (Fulham), Michael Ballack (Chelsea), El Hadji Diouf (Bolton), Benjani Mwaruwari (Portsmouth), Park Ji-sung (Man Utd), Tim Cahill (Everton)

Incidentally, the following is in the Sun so is DEFINITELY NOT TRUE:

Meanwhile, Rovers boss Mark Hughes says he is not interested in using Morten Gamst Pedersen as bait to re-sign striker Craig Bellamy from Liverpool.

He said: “I won’t be letting Morten go, that’s for sure. He is not going anywhere.”

Was in tonights LET too so I suspect the intention at least is true, whether or not Hughes is able to hold on to him.

Pardew added: "I'm not surprised he has done so well and has been one of the big successes of the Premier League this year.

"Benni has proved he could play in the top four sides in this country quite comfortably - that's how highly I rate him, but we are hoping he will have an off day.

"He is the ideal centre-forward in terms of the way I like to play football with 4-4-2, to have one of my strikers dropping in - and in terms of doing that role, he does that as well as most.

"Benni can lull you into thinking he is not interested and he is having a lazy period - sometimes that is when he is at his most dangerous because you think he is not a threat and then he suddenly bursts on the scene."

Exactly what I have been saying, his laziness allows him to stay sharp and gives defenders a false sense of security.

Exactly what I have been saying, his laziness allows him to stay sharp and gives defenders a false sense of security.

Lazy or not, his goal contribution this season is astounding. What annoys me a little bit is the lack of press. Here you have a strong candidate for "buy of the season", and he's barely ever mentioned aside whoever of the big four are interested in taking him off our hands. It's also strange and annoying how many of us don't appreciate him. I don't think you can moan about Benni not working enough, when on the contrary he's pouring in some very watchworthy goals (we need those). Why should we care if he sometimes swtches off, and strays into offside a lot? At 2,5 mill pounds it puzzles me that the 20-something goals this season isn't enough, get a grip.

I actually believe Benni when he says he'll let the club decide his future. He's said it from the start and I think as long as we want him to be there and a bid isn't too good to turn down, which I don't think will happen, then he'll be here next season.

Even thought he has bagged 21 goals this season, i still think that Bellamy is and was the better player when he was here. However, if we could get the two in a partnership then Bellamys speed would make up for Bennis lack of it.

7 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Ole Gunnar Solskjaer (Man Utd), Shabani Nonda (Blackburn), Emmanuel Adebayor (Arsenal), Leroy Lita (Reading), Craig Bellamy (Liverpool)

This suggests that Bellamy is more comparable to Shabani Nonda this season.... and Nonda has by far the least pace of the 3.

I can see somebody putting bids for him. He is third top scorer in the Prem for God's sake. The thing that worries me too is that he has a career on the continent so, unlike Pedersen and Bentley, will attract serious attention from clubs overseas.

The one thing in our favor is that at 29 he is too old to really justify massive bids, so he will probably stay. Unless he has a clause I'm certain Hughes will not be tempted for less than 8-10 million and I don't think anyone will go that high.

Edited by joey_big_nose

It is great to read that Benni is so happy at Rovers. He looked a bit miffedwhen he came off after 60 minutes at Newcastle but apparently his back was so bruised he very nearly didn't come out for the second half at all.

As for the rest of the article, looks like another Andy Neill pot stirrer- interest from Liverpool and Man U?- first I've heard that. Certainly there are Chelsea rumours.

I'll be both surprised and disappointed if Benni is not at Ewood next season. The EPL is pretty well pricing most continental clubs out of contention and Man U and Liverpool are looking elsewhere by all accounts. After they sign Tevez, Villa, Eto'o and Messi, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool are bound to need a few more reserve forwards...

Who would we get for 10 million to replace Benni, If Hughes was tempted, Id say 15 million is what we should be looking for, Darren bent would be a great buy. Knowing Rovers though they'll get stiffed if someone does buy Benni! and I'd bet bottom dollar theres is a paltry escape clause in Benni's contract.

Ferguson has said he wants 3 players this summer. We know that Hargreaves must be one, I would imagine that he'll bring in a defender as well and probably someone to get them goals, but I'd think it unlikely that he would have identified Benni as that "must-have" man.

From the rumours it would suggest Berbatov would be one of the three and Ferguson has always admired Defoe. I can't see anyone other than Chelsea being interested in Benni and I think they have their sights set higher.

Will Roman even allow Mourinho alot of funds this summer after spunking huge wages on Ballack, Shevchenko, Bhoularouz, SWP...

I think Mourhino's going to be on a strict budget this summer if he is still manager. Hence he will go for Benni, btw does anyone know if Benni is mates with people like Essien or Drogba? most African players in the prem seem to be close knit. I think we should be very worried in the summer if Mourinho is still manager...

Im sure those with Blue and White tinted glasses think Mourinho wont be interested though.

Edited by mattie

Don't think ManUre will be looking for a goal poacher. Under RFW they've always played their best football with a good creative workhorse front man and lots of goal scorers coming in from midfield. The only exception is funnily enough the striker who looked like a horse, who while banging loads of goals in the team overall got weaker (not his fault) and I don't think they'll go back to the goal poacher. Saha and Smith can lead the line pretty well, so someone in that mould but a lot better would fit the bit. Definitely Berbatov more than McCarthy. He's also unlikely to be willing to sit on the bench as the replacement for the baby faced assasin.

So big now are the big four that you only need to worry if you have a truly outstanding player would walk into their first team. Otherwise they have to be young enough to be "bedded in" or a bit past their best and happy to rotate off the bench (Laarson, Fowler). I don't think Benni quite fits this discription.

Bentley on the other hand.....

From the rumours it would suggest Berbatov would be one of the three and Ferguson has always admired Defoe. I can't see anyone other than Chelsea being interested in Benni and I think they have their sights set higher.

I have it on good authority that Bertatov to Man U is a done deal, with Saha and 18 million going the other way

how do i know? I know a Spurs player and thats all im saying

take it or leave it, he cud just be messing with me i guess

I have it on good authority that Bertatov to Man U is a done deal, with Saha and 18 million going the other way

I'd be willing to put money on the fact that if you do know a spurs player (why you can tell us all this and not tell us which spurs player you know) that he is messing yuo around. Berbatov may well end up going to United, but not for that sort of deal. That would make it a 25-28 million pound deal effectively.

Jol has claimed he wouldn't let Berbatov go for less than 40m which according to your theory would mean he values Saha at 22m. Unlikely I think.

As for Benni, let's be frank , if one of the "Big four" come in for him he'll be off without so much as a backwards glance.

Personally I don't think he's good enough to command a regular starting spot at any of those clubs but then the grass seemingly often seems greener etc.

Jol has claimed he wouldn't let Berbatov go for less than 40m which according to your theory would mean he values Saha at 22m. Unlikely I think.

just because he originally said that doesnt mean that if a good offer came in that he would reject it, its happened plenty of times in the past where a manager appears to price players out of the market, then ends up selling them much cheaper

anyways im gonna stick a tenner on berbatov to man u and saha to spurs, who knows eh

1. Thats a ridiculous valuation.

2. He would say that anyway.

3. Anyway what has Jol got to do with Berbatov's destiny? He's only the spurs manager not their chairman or chief accountant.

40 million or 18mil plus Saha?

cos 18 million and Saha isnt bad for a player of such obvious class and potential

It's a lot of money for a player and there isn't a reason for United to need to go for Berbatov at that price when there are actually quite a lot of very good strikers around at the moment.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.