BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Just hope the Rovers boo boys do not start exercising their vocal chords against Benni tomorrow.

My guess is that this is all a controlled exercise with Rovers playing their part- certainly if you re-read Mark Hughes' comments of last week you can see exactly where the club is coming from.

Benni does not seem to be the sort who operates with much subterfuge/subtelty. Rovers will be aware he practically went on strike at Porto to engineer a move so I would expect there has been a tacit agreement to put him in a shop window now in exchange for peace later and a harmonious 07/08 season.

So what? If any of the 4 champions league clubs want our players then they have the power to get them.

Any player under contract though, with the new tv deal, will cost them a fortune. If we don't get at least £10m for Benni, then why would Hughes sell him? (assuming, maybe stupid, no release clause)

Who's going to buy him for that much? Chelsea? Just let a bidding war commence then.

Exactly.

There's no point getting upset about anything. At the end of the day we all know Benni has got a big gob on him, but he's merely saying what all our players are thinking. You can bet your bottom dollar that Pedersen, Benni, Bentley, Emerton etc etc would all leave if a Champions League club came in, and I don't blame them to be honest.

I'd rather our players are in top form every season and attract attention from all the top four, rather than us being a club of mediocre Premiership journeymen. If Chelsea want McCarthy, I feel anything above £6m would be a decent deal - hopefully though a bidding war would commence and push it up.

For £6m we could either buy a direct replacement, or invest in a couple of perhaps lower league players for our longer term future. Either way, we are onto a winner - if there is no release clause then we can't do wrong. We can always REJECT bids remember.

If Chelsea are prepared to pay 8, 9 maybe 10 million for him then I suppose we'd have no option but to accept it.

On the bright side if he was sold. Maybe we could bring in a few more players in the summer Bellamy & Barton maybe.

Couldn't he have least waited till the end of the season before basically announcing he'd bugger off if a big club came in for him.

I'd let Benni go if he so desperately wants to go. Why should we have a player who isn't committed to the cause and i think he should be dropped from tomorrow’s squad. We the fans way this mans wages and he should be loyal to us. He is a good player and scores alot of goals, but the cons are McCarthy hasn't got lightening pace, only plays well when he wants to do and is very lazy. I appreciate the goals he has scored for us, but he would be easily replaced. No one is indispensable. Hughes should remind him no player is bigger than the club. We've had some bloody greats wear those blue n white halves and Benni has sh!t on us all, with this exclusive interview in the sun

Edited by hawaii501

Derbyshire and Roberts up fron tomorrow, demote Benni to the bench. So if need be, he can score, and then go away. I do wonder whether managers consider fining, or giving some sort of formal warning whenplayers release these statements.

Edited by Billy Castell

Just hope the Rovers boo boys do not start exercising their vocal chords against Benni tomorrow.

Why shouldn't they?

On the one level you can't really blame McCarthy at his age for wanting to grab a last chance of Champions League soccer if it's offered to him.

On the other he's been feeding us this sheeeeeeee ite all season about "I'll only leave if the club want to sell me, I want to repay them for giving me my big chance in the Prem" etc.

The worst thing though is the timing of this announcement which I really can't get my head round. He may not be bothered about what happens to us next season, but we actually have a crucial game tomorrow which may well dictate whether or not we play in Europe again this season. Could he not have waited until Monday morning? :angry: Even Bellamy had the sense not to say anything at all really about wanting to leave, but certainly not on the eve of a big game.

If we didn't need the points I'd have him sat on the bench all the way through tomorrow and make him strip off to come on for the last 30 seconds.

The annoyance factor apart, and yes, we will find it hard to replace his goals, I'll feel nowhere near as upset if he does go as I did when Bellamy went. He has given the impression on the pitch since Christmas that his head and heart were elsewhere. His latest recent little flurry of form is probably designed to secure his dream move.

10m and let's move on.

There's no point getting upset about anything. At the end of the day we all know Benni has got a big gob on him, but he's merely saying what all our players are thinking. You can bet your bottom dollar that Pedersen, Benni, Bentley, Emerton etc etc would all leave if a Champions League club came in, and I don't blame them to be honest.

Exactly, everytime this happens we all go ape, but the reality is that practically all players don't have the regard love that we have for the club. If they get the chance of more money and/or a higher level of football they'll all be off. Problem here is that McCarthy has allegedly deceided to speak of his wishes to a Sun journalist. On the other side of the coin at least we now know where we stand with him.

I'm sure some people will now say "He doesn't want to play for us, sell him". Why? His feeling and attitude is exactly the same now as it's probably been whilst he's been scoring his 20+ goals. As IHB said above, it's probably simialr to that of MGP, Bentley and any other player that thinks they can play at a higher level / better club than what we can offer.

If he go's we'll have to live with it and replace as we did with Bellamy. If he stays then fine, keep banging them in. Unfortunately this is modern day football. I wonder how many people jumping up and down about this were laughing their cocks off at Birmingham when we signed Robbie Savage in a far more controversial and underhand way.

Guest shoppybrfc

I cant believe how people on here actually thought Rovers had a chance of keeping Benni.

If Benni goes, I cant see people like MGP or Bentley sticking around for long.

As for the Brum Savage saga, Birmingham werent losing a top class Premiership player capable of winning a game on his own.

Benni was a bargain one off find, I dont think Hughes can find a player of that class for anything under 10million thats my worry. Bellamy just isnt in the same class finishing ability wise, at least with Benni he plays every game of the season, with Bellamy your getting a 20-30 game a season player.

Edited by shoppybrfc

Bellamy and Barton Grizfoot? do you want the nightclubs and hotels of Britain to be littered with people's body parts?

They could both also improve our team for next season. Although your point is also quite valid.

So Benni's officially in the shop window for tommorrow's game. That's if Sparky doesn't choose to drop him which could be a possibility.

Derbyshire and Roberts up fron tomorrow, demote Benni to the bench. So if need be, he can score, and then go away. I do wonder whether managers consider fining, or giving some sort of formal warning whenplayers release these statements.

I thought Roberts was suspended

Bellamy just isnt in the same class finishing ability wise, at least with Benni he plays every game of the season, with Bellamy your getting a 20-30 game a season player.

- Just because Benni has played most games this season, doesn't mean to say the same would happen next season.

- Benni has been shyte in at least a third of the games he has played for us.

- I wouldn't agree that Bellamy doesn't have the finishing ability of McCarthy. You can't just compare a players one season goal tally with anothers and say he is the better player. I would say Bellamy is a cracking finisher (some of his goals last season were incredible) but just needs a top striker to play off.

- It isn't a nailed on certainty that Bellamy would be injured for half of the season again. It's like assuming we'll miss Ryan Nelsen, Andre Ooijer, Robbie Savage and Steven Reid next season just because we did this year.

I'd really like to see what questions he was asked. If he went off like this on a rather broad question like "What about the future?" then I'd be really worried. If he instead was asked things like "Do you miss the CL?" or "If given the chance, what would you say about working with José again?" then I'd be slightly less worried. Of course even then he could've insisted more on staying, but in the light of that it seems less like he *wants* to move and more like he isn't actively looking, but wouldn't turn it down if he got the opportunity.

EDIT: After reading it again, let me rephrase that. I don't think he'll try to engineer a move, and so long as a CL club doesn't make a bid I think we'll be fine. But if Chelsea make a bid, he'd be gone straight away. Even if we firmly reject the first bid(s). Can't blame him if that's the case, just a bit annoyed that he sounded rather differently last week only.

Edited by Lathund

It was in The Sun, so therefore must be true :blink:

He probably said, if anything, do you miss european football? Benni: Yes.

The Sun then writed, im unhappy, want to leave and go and play for Chelsea in the champions league.

That said i dont believe anything that footballers say anymore. Lets just wait to see what happens in the transfer window.

Everybody has a price these days. However, he has 3 years left on his contract, there is not clause and we dont need to sell. The balls in Chelsea's court, if the sun is to be believed, come and make an offer, £15m?

We could do alot with that kinda money!

Who's to say Bellamy will be available? Nugent his replacement at 8 million ?......Nob end will be laughing their cocks off at us FFS!

Spurs have priced Berbatov at 28 million,put a price of at least 12 million on 'Mr Iv'e repaid my debt'.

What an awful way to end the season,cheers McCarthy. <_<

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I can't say that I'm not surprised. When your leading goal scorer says not so long ago, that he isn't looking to leave the club because of the faith that they showed in him, don't believe it! I like how he's gone from his stance, to saying that he has repaid the club with his goals. How quickly things can change.

if anyone offered you a doubling of your wages for doing the same job, would you except?

You'ld have to think long and hard before you refused it, is all I'd say. We get to emotionally attached to players who are, when it comes down to it, people getting paid to do a job.

I get tapped up by recruitment consultants every week (god knows why) but im happy where I am, some footballers are, some footballers arent. If they want to leave for "bigger and brighter" or at least sack fulls of cash, then unfortunately I have to say thank you and dont let the door hit your arse on the way out. As long as they try their hardest on the pitch I cant complain.

Mr Craig "Ive got no contract honest " Bellamy on the other hand deserves a slap, and then welcomed back with open arms and a better written contract

Edited by Flopsy

Guest shoppybrfc
- Just because Benni has played most games this season, doesn't mean to say the same would happen next season.

- Benni has been shyte in at least a third of the games he has played for us.

- I wouldn't agree that Bellamy doesn't have the finishing ability of McCarthy. You can't just compare a players one season goal tally with anothers and say he is the better player. I would say Bellamy is a cracking finisher (some of his goals last season were incredible) but just needs a top striker to play off.

- It isn't a nailed on certainty that Bellamy would be injured for half of the season again. It's like assuming we'll miss Ryan Nelsen, Andre Ooijer, Robbie Savage and Steven Reid next season just because we did this year.

- Who cares if Benni has been poor in games so has MGP, but Benni only needs one chance to get a goal, Benni is a player a team like Rovers can afford to be poor for 89 minutes and then pop up with a clinical finish, If you want a player who is immense all game and has the finishing of Benni you'd be looking at a £20million+ player.

- So you think Bellamy is a more clinical finisher then Benni? Everyone on here has said in the past Benni is the better finisher, Bellamy does create more chances for his team mates though. Bellamy's finishing for Liverpool this season has not been too clever, and it wasnt very good for Newcastle, his best finishing seemed to come for Rovers, If we want to be facetious like your being, whos to say that wasnt just a one season wonder for Bellamy? Its the only season in his career he's scored more then 9 goals in the Premiership!

-Benni has been free of injuries his whole career, hes just a player who seems to avoid them, kind of like Lampard. Bellamy isnt, everyone knows he'll miss games, its part and parcel of him as a player. Nelsen and Reid are quite injury prone players, remember Reid's first season? Nelsen has been Rovers own equivalent of Darren Anderton for injuries lately.

P/S I think you just like disagreeing with people though.

Edited by shoppybrfc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.