BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Before he gets truly demonised here, remember he has not left yet. It was always doubtful he would end his career here, and the fact he has done so well again reflects very well on Rovers, like it did with Bellamy last season. Should he leave in the summer, the success of both of these should encourage more players in similar situations to come to Ewood.

i cannot really see any big Spanish side stumping up the needed amount to sign him, and if it was me I would really want to stay in the Premiership right now, financially and for not having to up sticks so soon.

So in the end, I would guess it may be we are lucky Berbatov is the media darling this summer, as it may just be that if anyone of the "big 4" sign a striker from a smaller English side, he would go before Benni.

Think he will be here in August, esp if we get back into the UEFA cup. But I did say that of Bellamy too...

If he wants to go sell him, in the words of the immortal Bill Shankly talking about another player " He's got a heart as big as a caraway seed ", he's just used us as a stepping stone and his level of comitment has never been great to me. Darren Bent would be a good bet , younger, faster, as good a finisher and with a heart a good bit bigger than a caraway seed.

You can't blame him for wanting to play Champs League football,but why does another Rovers player swear allegiance to us, then do the dramatic u-turns.

Jose had hhim at Porto,but Benni said the reson he didn't sign for Chelsea and picked Rovers over them, was because he wanted to be guaranteed first team football.

Once again,Bellamy, Duff, Shearer,and more beesides, can we believe anything they say.

I do agree ,if the Sky Sports rumour is true,then he could have at least waited till after the fnal game,and before the first d/debits are due on the season tickets.Just when we are starting to bbuild another team fore the future and fetching back the fans.

This article from May 7th in the Telegraph, nearly had me convinced he was happy at Rovers, but once again ,more fool me.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport...y_at_rovers.php

Edited by ewoodblue

I do agree ,if the Sky Sports rumour is true,then he could have at least waited till after the fnal game,and before the first d/debits are due on the season tickets.Just when we are starting to bbuild another team fore the future and fetching back the fans.

Sickening isn't it, wont help Rovers cause one little bit.Wonder what sort of reception he will get tomorrow? :unsure:

It isn't a Sky Sports News rumour - It is the Sun story that they have copied

It isn't a Sky Sports News rumour - It is the Sun story that they have copied

Well the BBC have picked up on the story now, if it was just the Sun,I've laugh it off,but when it's the BBC then it starts to look a bit more serious.Benni's putting out feelers.Arsenal, Chelsea,Liverpool, Man United,,,,,,,come and get me.

I think the remark that I've already payed Blackburn back, maybe i can live with that, but why say one thing then do another.Even Lucas was honest enough to make his intentions clear after serving us for 6 years.

Compared to Benni's signing on fee of 2.5 million, and Berbatovs signng of 10 million,then game for game benni has definitly been the best value for money,and in my opinion just as good ,if not better than Berbatov.

I wouldn't want to lose Benni, but once again if a big club does offer him a Champs League place,it's out of our hands,again.

I'm sure Sparky will try his best to persuade him that is futures at Ewood.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ers/6649135.stm

Edited by ewoodblue

It think it is the timing, and the arrogance by saying "well I've already done enough for this crappy little team to earn a move" that has annoyed me so much. There is also the previous comments a mere week or two before when he said "I'm happy to stay if the club wants me" as well.

The way I look at it is that he's only going to move to a champions league club in Spain or England, that leaves us with the following clubs

England

Man U - cant see it as hes too old for Man U. Maybe if they thought they could get him on the cheap.

Arsenal - Not Wengers policy to pay top dollar for 29 year old strikers

Liverpool - maybe, most likely candidate.

Chelsea - There is the Mourinho link, but again are they likely to spend 10m on Benni?

Spain

Barcelona - No chance. too old

Real Madrid - Hes not big enough a player.

Sevilla - Type of club who would buy him. Kanoute is currently with them and is having a blinder

Valencia - They are likely to loose Villa, but would Benni be his replacement? Who knows

Real Zaragoza - Hmmm , if they make the CL its a possibility.

So looking at the list above you have 3 or 4 possibilities

Liverpool

Chelsea

2 from Valencia/Sevilla/Real Zaragoza

So if any of the above clubs offer serious money he'll be off. Anyone else and the club will tell them where to go. That means at least that the likes of Spurs will be told exactly where to go.

I cant see to many champions league clubs coming in for him. 29 years old, when most CL clubs could afford £15-20m players. I think they will be more interested in Berbatov, Villa etc than McCarthy. Anyway if they do come in wed get a good deal as these clubs usually have huge transfer kitties.

What id be more worried about is McCarthy getting greedy and newly bought out clubs like Villa and West Ham coming in with contracts of about 60k a week, hoping he can fire them to the top of the league as fast as possibl

I still reckon you could put money on him being here next season. However, how long before hughes gets tired of fending off bids for our top players from bigger clubs and accepts an offer himself.

Edited by benhben

One thing is for sure, if we were to sell him, we could easily ask £15-20 million for him, considering the amount of goals he has scored and what other players, who are less talented are being priced at.

[/quote

Well according to rumours Berbatov is valued at 40 million,but people say Benni being valued at 25 million is ludricous.

The value of the player shouldn't be judged on the team you play for, but on how good the player is.

I Seem to find booing players distracts from getting behind your team ,and affects the performance of the rest of the team.I think that's what happened when we played West Ham at Ewood,when Lucas returned.I think booing can have a adverse affect on the rest of the team.

I think whats needed now is some sort of re assurance from the board or the manager.Confirm or deny.

Guest shoppybrfc

Clubs will see Benni as the cheap option though ( beware Benitez! ) and after Liverpool nicked Bellamy on the cheap, they will see Rovers as a soft touch, Spurs can afford to reject the huge bids for Berbatov, Rovers cant, and clubs will know this. I can't see Rovers getting anymore then 10mill for Benni.

Benni what about your lover Roberts? Spare a thought for your best mate.

well true or not it can't come as a surprise to us that arguably the best player to grace ewood in a decade has champions league aspirations, but after what he has said recently I doubt whether the quotes are accurate.

whatever happens, i will be very disappointed if i here any boo's tomo. let's not forget that it's only a rumour at this stage.

Edited by mark

I can't see us getting anything over £10M, but even that's a huge profit for the £1.8-2.5M he cost us.

Hopefully the transfer happens in early summer and Hughes has time to find a suitable replacement(s). We'd be in serious trouble if he'd stay with us until CL registration end and Mourinho making a late minute bid. Then our hands would be tied and we'd have to pay a huge fee for some last minute panic buy.

Guest Kamy100

No real surprise in what Benni said, any player of the class of McCarthy would have aspirations to play in the Champions League, that said I don't know if he will go to Chelsea, mainly because there is huge doubt as to whether Mourinho will actually be there next season. I can't see Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool coming in for him. If he does decide to move to a so called bigger club then good luck to him and thanks for the memories of an excellent season, he has been quite simply the best goalscorer since Shearer.

I just knew, he comes out saying 'i'll only leave Blackburn Rovers if they want me to', it was just to good to be true, why can't we just keep hold of our best players. If he leaves Bentley and MGP will be looking around too.

Exactly, I think we have to be sure of our facts, before we can even justify booing Benni,but apparently Benni isn't very good when it comes to giving interviews,and maybe he's guillable,and it's easy to get carried away with the glitz and superstardom.Alas that's what the Prem as become.

I've made an habit of never booing a player ,but it doesn't mean I'm not bothered.The best thing we can do, is just keep faith with the club,and keep supporting Blackburn Rovers.I think they've done a great job in reducing ticket prices, and maybe a few more clubs are following by our fine example.The mega rich wages and the mega rich lifestyle will always prove too much a temptation .They all want to join the jet set.

I thought Jose was leaving Chelsea.

This story was the usual set-up by The Scum to create a story. Just take a look at how it was put together with the usual 'closed' question. How else was Benni supposed to respond? No way was he going to block off an option of one of the top 4 clubs.

But .... he hasn't gone yet and I've not seen him failing to deliver with his goals.

Make certain that you all give him a cheer and chant his name against Reading, he deserves it for the goals this season and also to remind him that he IS wanted at Ewood.

Too easy for the jerks around to help make his mind up the wrong way.

This story was the usual set-up by The Scum to create a story. Just take a look at how it was put together with the usual 'closed' question. How else was Benni supposed to respond?

Even though it is in the sun, the worrying thing is that it's not an article fabricated and expanded based on an odd quote or two. It quotes Benni directly and, as we all know, once Benni starts talking he doesnt tend to stop. Looking through the quotes again he doesnt actually say he is unhappy here or wants to leave.

The worst quotes from the interview from our point of view are:-

"The challenge of being part of the best, playing against the best. Champions League football means everything to any footballer with ambitions. But at 29 years old, if a club like Chelsea comes looking for you then you must seriously consider the opportunity.

"But a chance to go to Chelsea - or any other Champions League team in England or Spain - would be hard to turn down."

"Blackburn gave me my chance and even though it was not a big transfer fee, I trust that I have already paid them back with my commitment and goals this season.

"Mourinho has coached me. If he ever were to sign me again, it would be because he knows exactly what he's getting and that I've managed to settle down in England quite quickly. t would be a big challenge to win a regular start in a club like Chelsea but why shouldn't I have confidence in my own abilities? I know I can compete with the best.

Forget the "McCarthy heading for Ewood Exit" headlines and look at what he's actually said.

" He misses Champions League football. The chance to play it again at a big club would be hard to turn down.Blackburn got me quite cheap and I've already re-paid them this season. I'd love to play for Chelsea. "

He shouldnt have really said any of this. Surely letting info slip like this is what agents are for. But what if the two questions he was asked were "do you miss Champions league football" and "If Blackburn accepted an offer for you, would you like to move to a bigger club"?

It will be interesting to see what he or the club say in the coming days. It doesn't look good but there is a chance he's just been too honest, too talkative and a bit thick.

If he goes for £15mill I want Darren Bent :rover:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.