BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

In my opinion, he's very similar in style and performance as Emile Heskey... Bare with me one second while i explain...

I think he is one of those players who likes to be a number 2 striker and have a world class striker to play alongside...

Im not kidding, i think (and i know allot of other people have said this) that if we had been able to keep hold of Craig Bellamy last summer and we had Bellamy and Benni up front, we'd be a force to be reconed with.

Im sorry to say that Benni and Roberts dont look even 75% convinsing, although Gally and Jeffers have shown some true promise..

My brother mentioned today that we were being linked with a young C.Republic striker on teletext. Has anyone else heard of this and who it could be?

Hey town liar, Have you even seen Benni play a full 90 minutes?

In my opinion, he's very similar in style and performance as Emile Heskey...

In my opinion you are a clueless idiot. If you would have to compare him to anybody it would be Dwight Yorke, but when he was good (ie at Villa).

Doesnt for me do a lot of work off the ball, but can link up play with a sublime bit of skill, and is around the box to finish.

Heskey on the other hand is a big lummox you stick up front to use as a battering ram, and should be compared to perhaps Roberts or Nonda from our team.

B)-->

QUOTE(Ste B @ Nov 3 2006, 02:29 ) 457185[/snapback]

In my opinion you are a clueless idiot. If you would have to compare him to anybody it would be Dwight Yorke, but when he was good (ie at Villa).

Doesnt for me do a lot of work off the ball, but can link up play with a sublime bit of skill, and is around the box to finish.

Heskey on the other hand is a big lummox you stick up front to use as a battering ram, and should be compared to perhaps Roberts or Nonda from our team.

Yes i have seen him play a full 90 vs Wisla...

And your the idiot for getting personal when somebody has there say, your obviously one of those morans who likes to get personal when you disagree with someones point of view which is pretty sad...

I mean you yourself said:

Doesnt for me do a lot of work off the ball, but can link up play with a sublime bit of skill, and is around the box to finish
Ok so take out the sublime skill and you got a discription of Heskey...

Back at earlier clubs Benni used to feed off of other strikers attempts and used to pop in the occasional good goal... Heskey does the same (erm vs Rovers).

I have to agree it's quite sad reading personal attacks because somebody has a difference of opinion...

I agree partly with rover the moon - I've been impressed when Gallagher & Jeffers have come on as sub - most times they have come on and provided fresh legs and a sense of urgency. I though Nonda was shocking last night - didnt look interested or fit and was a passenger for much of the game. I hope we go with Jeffers & McCarthy up front on Sunday...

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ste B @ Nov 3 2006, 02:29 ) 457185[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Yes i have seen him play a full 90 vs Wisla...

And your the idiot for getting personal when somebody has there say, your obviously one of those morans who likes to get personal when you disagree with someones point of view which is pretty sad...

I mean you yourself said: Ok so take out the sublime skill and you got a discription of Heskey...

Back at earlier clubs Benni used to feed off of other strikers attempts and used to pop in the occasional good goal... Heskey does the same (erm vs Rovers).

Are you spelling like remedial student on purpose?

I was an advocate of signing Heskey (I thought Hughes could get the best out of him if he was available at the right price).

But to compare him to Benni is pretty weak. There are some similarities between them (obvious ones) but as footballers, they are very different. And I would rather have Benni

I was an advocate of signing Heskey (I thought Hughes could get the best out of him if he was available at the right price).

But to compare him to Benni is pretty weak. There are some similarities between them (obvious ones) but as footballers, they are very different. And I would rather have Benni

Coincidentally, Jewell seems to have got the best out of him. That being said, it's very much just a point him in the right direction and tell him to run managerial style, but it's worked!

Im sorry to say that Benni and Roberts dont look even 75% convinsing, although Gally and Jeffers have shown some true promise..

Why do you have such a problem with black people? Benni is our best player and top scorer and you think Gally and Jeffers are better. I was happy they did well when they came on, but they aren't better than Champions League winner Benni

:lol::wstu:

Why do you have such a problem with black people? Benni is our best player and top scorer and you think Gally and Jeffers are better. I was happy they did well when they came on, but they aren't better than Champions League winner Benni

:lol::wstu:

I think he means for Gally or Jeffers to partner Benni. If not he must support Villa. I think all would agree they have been impressive but they are not as good as Benni. Have to say Jeffers has definatly suprised me, well done MH.

I think he means for Gally or Jeffers to partner Benni. If not he must support Villa. I think all would agree they have been impressive but they are not as good as Benni. Have to say Jeffers has definatly suprised me, well done MH.

I think you are correct. I should have read his post properly before trying to wind him up.

Before anyone has a go, I was only jesting. Im not accusing anybody of being racist. (Im sure nobody on here is anyway)

RTM, you seem to have confused Benni with a target man. Easy mistake to make if you never see him. I had a somewhat similar misconception before I saw him playing for us.

He needs the Nonda-style player alongside him. I wonder how well he would have done with Bellamy. Both like to drift off to the flanks, which only works when we have deep running central midfielders to score plenty of goals. Savage?? Tugay?!?

If you mean that he prefers to have a world class striker alongside him, then I think every striker in the world is an Emile Heskey-type player.

RTM, you seem to have confused Benni with a target man. Easy mistake to make if you never see him. I had a somewhat similar misconception before I saw him playing for us.

He needs the Nonda-style player alongside him. I wonder how well he would have done with Bellamy. Both like to drift off to the flanks, which only works when we have deep running central midfielders to score plenty of goals. Savage?? Tugay?!?

If you mean that he prefers to have a world class striker alongside him, then I think every striker in the world is an Emile Heskey-type player.

Reason i said he was similar to hefty heskey is because in most the games this season he has been playing the majority of the match as more of a forward playing slightly behind where he should be. I remember several people commenting at the start of the season that he was playing so far behind where he should that he might as well be a midfielder...

Im just thinking if we have him playing slightly behind Jeffers he will have a little bit more room to do his stuff... our priority for the transfer window should be an attacking midfielder who can feed balls through to the front 2...

Now with the severe blow of Savage being out for a month, the question is do we play Mokoena in central midfield.

Id say play Gamst center left with Peter on left midfield with Tuggs in right center, although i know that would never happen...

Id say play Gamst center left with Peter on left midfield with Tuggs in right center, although i know that would never happen...

Hope you're right it'll never happen. I'd be extremely worried about our management if it did : MGP and Tugay aren't exactly ball winners are they?

Technically Benni is very good and this is especially important in Europe - it is for this reason why Tugay shines on European nights. You have more space/time to play in europe and therefore the usage of the ball is crucial.

He does have an issue with being caught offside, but I guess he works on the assumption that he'll get one right and score as he did last night.

Given time he and Nonda or Roberts will prove to be very effective. But ultimately, for me, the crucial thing is his technical ability. He can manipulate the ball very well and players like that are few and far between - especially in our squad.

• 3 months later...

I see that under the pro zone system BM is calculated to be doing "a couple of miles" a game . I'd like to see him do a bit more , and wonder how this compares to other strikers .

I seem to remember years and years ago Colin Bell has a speedo fitted to him during a game - he did 5 miles .

I see that under the pro zone system BM is calculated to be doing "a couple of miles" a game . I'd like to see him do a bit more , and wonder how this compares to other strikers .

I seem to remember years and years ago Colin Bell has a speedo fitted to him during a game - he did 5 miles .

I used to work for ProZone and from what I can remember for a striker, that is a pretty good return.

Can you elaborate, because I cant see how this will make him a better striker?

I seem to remember Dickov ran his socks off, but however hard he ran he was never going to be a top striker. Andy cole also used to stand around with his hands on his hips but he did alright. I think its more about reading your team mates better than running around like an idiot after the ball. Loose it and i grant you he should drop back and help get it back, but I dont think just running an extra 3 miles is going to help his game.

Edited by roversyoyo

Can you elaborate, because I cant see how this will make him a better striker?

I seem to remember Dickov ran his socks off, but however hard he ran he was never going to be a top striker. Andy cole also used to stand around with his hands on his hips but he did alright. I think its more about reading your team mates better than running around like an idiot after the ball. Loose it and i grant you he should drop back and help get it back, but I dont think just running an extra 3 miles is going to help his game.

It's obvious to me that McCarthy is a far more gifted player than Nonda , for example - technically very good , but with a greater work ethic he could be better . You can be good and still be a work horse and stretch defenders even more . I wonder how many miles Shearer covered ....

Having said all that I don't want to sound over critical . Like USA Blue said , the interview seemed postive as a whole . Maybe he'd agree with me that there's room for improvement .

Fair enough, point taken. On the Shearer point, I bet he used to run defenders ragged! (all before his injury of course).

What we need is someone who can pull defenders out of position to work along side McCarthy and for that we need a pacy striker. Bellamy would have been perfect. If you're a defender who the hell do you pick up!! :blink:

Edited by roversyoyo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.