BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Benni won't go to Chelsea imo.

He's a moody and slightly arrogant so and so, and Jose will be more than aware of that. At Chelsea he would not start too often and would consequently kick up a fuss. With the money Chelsea have, they may well prefer an up-and-coming star who will be more than happy to play the cameo role to the big stars. That's not to say he won't move elsewhere...

It really makes me sick how these self-obsessed, materialistic footballers display utter contempt for most basic moral values. Benni was saying months ago that he wants to stay at Blackburn and if a big club came in for him, the club may well choose to sell, but he'd be more than happy to stay. Now he wants to go to a Champions' League club. I wonder why I spend my time on football when stuff like this happens.

Edited by rover6

I fully understand if McCarthy wants a move to a CL club, who in their right mind won't (unless they are a Blackburn fan)?

Of course I want the lad to stay, but every player has a price, and for Benni I would be "happy" if we got around £12m for him. Can see anyone other than Chelsea paying that though.

c'mon fife, the sun print trash every day. readers want rumours - we have whole threads based on rumours - imagine if every player in question sued when there was a dodgy quote printed, Britain doesn't have enough solicitors! rumours are part and parcel of football.

And therein lies the problem! Empty lifes, and empty heads!

i am sad to say, but i just can't see benni being with us come next season.

If one of the champions league teams comes in for him, he will be off. I just hope the board don't let him go cheaply and sell him at the right price. Anything below 8 million will be a joke

He's a moody and slightly arrogant so and so, and Jose will be more than aware of that.

Is he?

I can't recall a situation this season of him moaning and he always comes across as one of the most upbeat individuals in interviews etc, Hughes has also said the rest of the players love having him around at training.

What makes you think he's moody? Because he doesn't run around like Dickov?

Is he?

I can't recall a situation this season of him moaning and he always comes across as one of the most upbeat individuals in interviews etc, Hughes has also said the rest of the players love having him around at training.

What makes you think he's moody? Because he doesn't run around like Dickov?

Seemed a really nice bloke last night. Smiling all th time. Softly spoken, signing autographs for a good hour. He even won the players player of the year and is very popular with the rest of the team and backroom staff.

I never get too worried about what the papers say, the reality is a lot of our players are targets because they are good players. The club at least appears to be in a strong position to either retain the players they want or get a good price for them.

Got to applaud both Mark Hughes and John Williams for player selection and contract deals.

If we do lose any players it will be in an organised way and you can expect the funds to go to bringing replacements in.

{Benni McCarthy} ... I think that those knocking him are wrong, and are lacking some understanding of how he contributes to the cause.

He knows what sort of player he is, and what sort of opportunity he can turn into a goal. He also knows his own fitness and how he can retain his sharpness over 90 minutes (especially at the tail end of this - the most gruelling season he will ever have played).

All the evidence - through our own eyes and backed up by the inevitable stats - shows that McCarthy puts his chances away. His record as a striker in this country is only bettered by Drogba, and Drogba has 200 million quids worth of superstar talent behind him setting the chances up.

When our lot give him the service he needs, McCarthy is delivering the goods - emphatically so. If he winds a few fans up with a lack of movement between firing the goals in - then so be it. The fact is that he knows his game, knows his fitness and nails his chances - and has won Rovers a barrowload of points by doing things his way.

Tut tut Tris , I thought you would understand better playing the game n all and a little hypocritical considering your respective criticism of Dunn.

Just because he has scored the goals he is not above criticism and although I don't have the stats I would argue your statement he puts his chances away - especially just before and post Xmas. Would be interesting to note how many times an attack has broken down due to his lack of effort/concentration.

My gripe is as I have said before, he could have done so much more for himself and for the team - we are not talking about a newcomer to the game or a low wage earner - he is getting paid handsomely and has played at an high level

Tut tut indeed Captain, and here are the tutting stats.

Goalscoring - ranked by % of chances converted

1.  Gilberto Silva  - 10 goals - 31.2%
2.  Keane - 11 goals - 28.9%
3.  MCCARTHY - 18 GOALS - 28.6%

followed by Doyle - 13, 27.7% ... Viduka - 14, 27.5% etc etc ... Drogba - 20, 18.5% ... Ronaldo - 17, 11.7%

And just in case that's not enough, here's the on target accuracy

1.  MCCARTHY - 63 ATTEMPTS - 58.7% ON TARGET
2.  Defoe - 72 attempts - 54.2% on target
3.  Berbatov - 82 attempts - 53.7% on target

followed by Henry - 78, 52.6% ... McBride - 73, 52.1% etc etc ... Drogba - 108, 43.5% ... Ronaldo - 145, 46.2%%

Now raw statistics cannot be the sole indicator, but at least they provide a comparison. And what is indisputable from these numbers is that McCarthy is the real deal. The big names at the big clubs get more chances (I posted 2 weeks ago that Drogba has a massive advantage over McCarthy because of the players behind him).

CORRECT - Drogba 108 on target attempts = 20 goals ... Ronaldo 145 on target attempts = 17 goals ... BENNI 63 on target attempts = 18 goals!!

And he's third in terms of % of chances converted, behind a reserve midfileder who hardly gets any chances and the best Irish striker ever .. who shares his PL place with Defoe!!! Benni has played 50+ games and yet maintained an awesome level of performance.

Captain - I know you love a whinge and you've been on Benni's case for a while. I'd like you - and others who are on his case - to simply own up that you've had a misjudgement.

The Sun is trying to sell this player from under us in typical media fashion, and too many people on this board want to take the cash. You can't buy players like McCarthy every day - just ask Stuart Pearce.

He's the best striker at Ewood for a decade, and the number one priority this summer is to make bloody sure he DOES NOT LEAVE ROVERS!

OK Tris. I am one of those that have been on his case as you put it. BUT, I have never criticised his play at all. I acknowledge that he is a top class striker and we are lucky to have him. My only beef with Benni has been about what I saw as a poor attitude, nothing to do with his performance on the pitch, and now he has said he will only leave if Rovers want to sell him, that will do for me.

I am both confused and worried though by the latest developments i.e. the alleged interview in the Sun. I still think MH needs to get that clarified in no uncertain terms and there should be a full and unambiguous statement from the club to make crystal clear what the real situation is.

Edited by Fife Rover

OK Tris. I am one of those that have been on his case as you put it. BUT, I have never criticised his play at all. I acknowledge that he is a top class striker and we are lucky to have him. My only beef with Benni has been about what I saw as a poor attitude, nothing to do with his performance on the pitch, and now he has said he will only leave if Rovers want to sell him, that will do for me.

I am both confused and worried though by the latest developments i.e. the alleged interview in the Sun. I still think MH needs to get that clarified in no uncertain terms and there should be a full and unambiguous statement from the club to make crystal clear what the real situation is.

If you are so concerned by his alledged 'poor attitude', then why are you so 'worried' about speculation he may be sold?

It doesn't add up. I don't follow why those who are keen to criticise benni are also those up in arms about the inevitable speculation over his future. Either stop complainiong about out his contribuiton, or wave him on.

Tris is spot on. IMHO, benni bashers are lunatics.

Imagine if Benni read half the comments on here.

He is hardly going to decide to stay is he.

I pray he doesn't leave, he is irreplaceable. If he stays and we make some top quality additions, who knows where we could finish.

OK Tris. I am one of those that have been on his case as you put it. BUT, I have never criticised his play at all. I acknowledge that he is a top class striker and we are lucky to have him. My only beef with Benni has been about what I saw as a poor attitude, nothing to do with his performance on the pitch, and now he has said he will only leave if .Rovers want to sell him, that will do for me.

Tris (took your time :D ), I stand corrected on the conversion stats bit and I have no qualms with his goals but this then this raises another point. Why is he fairly far behind in the number of attempts? Lack of service - possibly but I feel enough service has been coming from Messrs Bentley and Pedesrsen to alleviate the fact.

As mentioned, I welcome the goals but I'm in agreement with Fife here re the attitude. I just feel he should be doing that little bit more for the team - I don't mean running about the field like a headless chicken as so many people seem to have read (don't think anybody has actuall mentioned that) but I do expect a little more conribution in the way of effort to the team ie jumping for an header instead of standing there and falling over waving his arms etc.

Personally I feel more confident that he will stay at Rovers on the very basis that I feel the top clubs have stayed away from him due to the reasons I have tried to highlight, unless Chelski show a proper interest.

I am not denying his quality , and I don't want him to leave, but as I have mentioned previously just because of the goals should not mean he is absolved from criticism. It has been mentioned he does go missing after scoring which I feel is a very valid point to raise, which even you cannot defend.

This is the whole annoying thing - just a little bit more application and I feel he could achieve so much more and score more goals, however saying that this would probably lead to him being tapped up by one of the so calle bigger clubs.

Tris (took your time :D ), I stand corrected on the conversion stats bit and I have no qualms with his goals but this then this raises another point. Why is he fairly far behind in the number of attempts? Lack of service - possibly but I feel enough service has been coming from Messrs Bentley and Pedesrsen to alleviate the fact.

As mentioned, I welcome the goals but I'm in agreement with Fife here re the attitude. I just feel he should be doing that little bit more for the team - I don't mean running about the field like a headless chicken as so many people seem to have read (don't think anybody has actuall mentioned that) but I do expect a little more conribution in the way of effort to the team ie jumping for an header instead of standing there and falling over waving his arms etc.

Personally I feel more confident that he will stay at Rovers on the very basis that I feel the top clubs have stayed away from him due to the reasons I have tried to highlight, unless Chelski show a proper interest.

I am not denying his quality , and I don't want him to leave, but as I have mentioned previously just because of the goals should not mean he is absolved from criticism. It has been mentioned he does go missing after scoring which I feel is a very valid point to raise, which even you cannot defend.

This is the whole annoying thing - just a little bit more application and I feel he could achieve so much more and score more goals, however saying that this would probably lead to him being tapped up by one of the so calle bigger clubs.

He reminds me of Henry a lot, the way he plays, not always in the game, but can produce a moment of class in a flash.

I say, leave the guy alone and let him keep playing the way he has been this season, which has been a delight to watch

i just god hope he will be playing for the rovers next season

Why is he fairly far behind in the number of attempts?

Maybe because he's so high up the 'caught offside' chart.

Hope he stays but I can't see it happening. He owes us nothing, and if I was him I'd certainly rather be living in London or Spain.

“But at 29 years old, if a club like Chelsea comes looking for you then you must seriously consider the opportunity.

A bit contradictory to the quote from earlier in the season, where he says that at 29, you don't have that ambition to go to Arsenal or Chelsea or Manchester United, like when you're 21.

Not loving this.

It's strange really but whether Mccarthy goes or stays I am not too bothered. I can't beleive this is how I feel but it's true.

Firstly, he has been wonderful to watch this season and his goals have been both regular and at times sublime. At £2.5 million he was a bargain. The club can not lose. We either have a 20 goal a season striker playing for us next season or we get £8 million plus for a 29 year old facing a difficult second season in the PL. Whether anyone will pay good money for Benni I do not know.

What I do know is that I was far more worried about losing Bellmay this time a year ago. Whilst he may not have scored 24 goals. Bellamy certainly played for the team and the fact we finished 6th a year ago provides the difference between Mccarthy and Bellamy. I think everyone can appreciate Bellamy's value is measured in more than just goals. Whereas Mccarthy is goals and not much else. That's not a criticism but a fact.

It's strange really but whether Mccarthy goes or stays I am not too bothered. I can't beleive this is how I feel but it's true.

Firstly, he has been wonderful to watch this season and his goals have been both regular and at times sublime. At £2.5 million he was a bargain. The club can not lose. We either have a 20 goal a season striker playing for us next season or we get £8 million plus for a 29 year old facing a difficult second season in the PL. Whether anyone will pay good money for Benni I do not know.

What I do know is that I was far more worried about losing Bellmay this time a year ago. Whilst he may not have scored 24 goals. Bellamy certainly played for the team and the fact we finished 6th a year ago provides the difference between Mccarthy and Bellamy. I think everyone can appreciate Bellamy's value is measured in more than just goals. Whereas Mccarthy is goals and not much else. That's not a criticism but a fact.

i just wish we can have benni and bellamy at the club next season

I'd be curious for one of our statheads to come up with goals per game when Bellamy played last season and when Benni played this season. (I also would like to see both here next season, even though I think Bellamy is a knob.)

Bellamy certainly played for the team and the fact we finished 6th a year ago provides the difference between Mccarthy and Bellamy

I think you're way off the mark here. We had Reid missing for the whole of this season and we also had Savage out for half a season. You cant say the 4 place difference in the league was down to Bellamy / McCarthy

Why you think Benni would have any more difficulty then he has this year is amazing, Benni McCarthy has been a World Class striker for a number of years now yet he still has his doubters, what does this man have to do in his footballing career to get some respect?

Can't believe there are still those out there who keep this love of Craig Bellamy. A lot are the same hypocrites who bag Neill

bellamy.jpg

Spot on, totally agree thats a view shared by a lot of Rovers i know, and i think at the end of the day whatever the outcome maybe in the summer Rovers are in a win win situation.

I think you're way off the mark here. We had Reid missing for the whole of this season and we also had Savage out for half a season. You cant say the 4 place difference in the league was down to Bellamy / McCarthy

Not to mention the strain the UEFA-Cup has had on the team. Way off the mark.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.