BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

To all those who say "let Benni go, Sparky will find a suitable replacement" I say just consider this. If benni or indeed any of our best players do go this close season, what is MH going to think?

He is bound to think "I deserve a bit more loyalty from this ungrateful s.o.b." (As with Bellamy 12 months ago) And he'd be right.

To be fair the club have expressed no inclination whatsoever to sell Benni so if anything does happen it's likely to be at the player's behest. Not a lot you can do about that, it isn't as if Benni is being sold by the club against Sparky's wishes.

We're only three days into the close season and I'm already fed up to the back teeth with Benni "I'm a good guy really and don't want to leave Blackburn Rovers but on the other hand if a Champions League team came in" McCarthy. We all hope you stay but whether you stay or go for the appropriate fee please keep your mouth shut. I think the Club, Sparky and your team mates deserve a lot more respect than for you to be going round like this angling for interest everywhere you go. I'm sure you have an agent who can register and receive expressions of interest in private.

If he now has to suffer the loss of one or more of his best performers he is bound to think "what's the use?, I am wasting my time here, this club is never going to get any higher" Next thing, MH and his coaching team are offski! Is that what any of us wants to see? Think about it!!!

Well, thats the reality for ALL the Premier League clubs except the top four. This is one of the main reasons why the smaller clubs ain't able to compete with the big guns. We (along with most of the PL) can't buy a whole team in one transfer window so we have to build a solid squad over a good couple of season..

We can only hope Hughes can continue to build, because it will be damn hard to keep all of our players in the summer.

Guest shoppybrfc

Whats the point of us signing someone like Bellamy, Bent? They'll only (Please don't use that word again) off if they have a good season.

Use the cash to buy two up and coming strikers, something like Sharp and Eastwood, at least they wont be a Billy big b ollocks and leave after they're 'repaid' rovers with their goals.

Edited by shoppybrfc

£8m, yes that would be brilliant.

Now where will we find somebody who can get 2nd top scorer in the Premiership for that price and will come here?

Pigs might fly I suppose

Hold on a minute. I can remember exactly the same conversation last year on here - oh great, we've made a profit on Bellers but who the hell are we going to sign that can replace him? We bought Benni Mac for £2.5m(ish). If we are to sell for over £8m then who's to say Hughes won't come up trumps again and sign another gem?

If he wants to go, there's no problem as I can see. I'm with Martin on this one - if he goes then so be it. He's banged a ###### load of goals in and we'll have made a very healthy profit on him.

Worst case scenario: we are in exactly the same scenario as last summer - looking for a top striker except with 8m more quid to spend (not even including TV money), a young Derbyshire established in the first team and still looking forward to European competition!

Have to admit that I might be tempted to put in a bid for Yakubu, regardless of whether Benni leaves or not. He seemed a bit lost in the second half of the season and they are one of the few clubs in the premiership who I actually think we could "pick-on" like the big clubs do with us.

If Benni wants to leave the club will not get close to £15mil - it is a pretty outrageous thought that they would. Having paid only £2.5mil or thereabouts noone will be prepared to pay above about £7-8mil. Possibly wishful thinking but I don't think his price tag will be an issue anyway. If he is to go elsewhere in England it would only be to a CL club.

ManYoo are after Torres still and if they get him will certainly not need McCarthy. Chelsea are categorically NOT going to put a bid in for him in my opinion: when Mourinho first joined was an ideal opportunity for him to bring along his big name striker from Porto but he chose not to because he is looking for a better class of player and now the media have brought up the old link because he has had a good premiership season but I don't think there's anything in it really. Arsenal still can't afford him (having spent so much on a new stadium) nor do they need him. Liverpool are the only club I can imagine showing interest: they have no consistent goalscorer and Bellamy has had a bad season what with him battering Riise with a golf club. I can imagine Liverpool trying to give us Bellamy back in an exchange for McCarthy but that is solely my imagination and is unlikely. More importantly, I don't think Sparky will want to lose his star striker again as easily as he did with Bellers!

He has virtually pimped himself out whilst still playing for us. Yes its honest and he knows this summers his last chance of moving to a big club. He doesnt owe us anything, his goals have been more than enough. Id like it if he stayed but I think he would only leave for a CL team. Expect cheeky bids from Man Utd and Chelsea in the tune of 5-6 million.

Wasn't he in the last year of his contract when we signed him though?? Which is why he was only 2.5million, so really we should get a fair bit of dosh for him considering he's only been with us 1 year.....before being tapped up by Mourinho

From what I can see, there is lots of press coverage about a Yorkshire Terrier and Chelsea but nothing about Benni and transfers this morning. He is not even in the compendium of possible big moves section in The Times.

Every summer in his time at Porto, Benni tried to talk his way to a transfer. He got lucky third time with a year left on his contract. Given Rovers were on the other side of the fence on more than one occasion, Williams and co presumably know the game and how to play it whichever way they like.

If he has indeed met Peter Kenyon, what is the difference between Benni's meeting and a certain infamous meeting between Peter Kenyon and Ashley Cole? Aren't Kenyon and Chelsea on a warning as to future conduct in this regard?

I get the feeling that Rovers are giving Benni and Chelsea all the rope they need. Rovers will decide whether they hang together, rope Benni back in when everyone including Chelsea get tired of this or rope in the Chelsea cash which I would be pretty confident will be a bigger number than £6m.

The season is over for Benni but all this "Chelsea come and get me" spouting is ignoring the fact that Chelsea's season doesn't end until Saturday. I cannot see anything happening very quickly.

Until/unless we hear anything official out of Chelsea or Man U, I am pretty certain Benni will be a Rovers player next season.

6 million would be a joke. In my eyes he is easily worth double figures, 10 million pounds and Im sure both United and Chelsea could afford it if they really want it, but the main reason any of the big teams will be after him is that they see him as a "cheaper" alternative in the striker position, and Im sure they value him far less than the 10 million we would be.

Id literally cry if we sold him for 6 million as its NOTHING for the guy who scored 24 goals and was second Premiership top scorer.

Modest club, modest club!!!!

I have been one of his admirers and a defender of all he does on the feild but go off it and talk about Rovers being a modest club!!

Champions League football is around the corner if we can just keep the likes of Bellamy and Benni, infuriating git.

Oh well, its becoming a comedy of buy a striker, build up his reputation and if does well ship him out at the end of the season. First Bellamy, then this guy, and surely the guy after him. The fact that being a striker you are in the eye more than in other positions as your goals and performances are more note-worthy means that this will be a perrenial problem for someone like us...

I won't judge him until I see an interview with him so I can see exactly what he says or until he is off. Until then it is all stuff being manipulated and passed on. I still can't see a big club coming in for him, I would be very surprised.

:rover: please do not mention VIDUKA and ROVERS in the same sentence,if you think macarthy is lazy,you ain't seen anything till you watch VIDUKA.

as for BENIDICT,he has scored goals,proved his worth and now wants to move on.CHELSKI paid 30 odd million for shevchenko,so 15 million for benny is possible.very few footballers are loyal and we as fans must relise this,

thanks benny :brfc:

:rover: please do not mention VIDUKA and ROVERS in the same sentence,if you think macarthy is lazy,you ain't seen anything till you watch VIDUKA.

as for BENIDICT,he has scored goals,proved his worth and now wants to move on.CHELSKI paid 30 odd million for shevchenko,so 15 million for benny is possible.very few footballers are loyal and we as fans must relise this,

thanks benny :brfc:

Viduka would be great for Rovers, even thought it won't happen. I'd rather him than Nonda.

Some very simple observations. If Benni does go it will be nowhere near the £6m figure. We are under no pressure to sell and if someone doesnt meet our minimum requirement of £10m i would have said, then ok we'll keep him, doesnt bother us. He will not go on the cheap, if we do sell him, i expect to be able to rebuild the entire strike force with the kinda money.

benni has adjusted to the premiership in his first season, look at drogba, henry etc in their first season in english football and look at them now.

think how good benni could be next season, i'd be gutted if we lost him.

if bellamy arrives back to partner him in our attack, we are in big business next season imo.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.