BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I have it on very good authority that Chelsea have approached Rovers to ask about McCarthy's availability. There will be a board meeting early next week to discuss the situation. Deja vu?

Why would it go to a board meeting? Surley the Chairman tells Sparky about CFC's interest, Sparky says he's going nowhere, chairman tells CFC to naff offski.

Unless a tempting financial offer has been made ??

How you could've come up with this from the get-go I'm sorry to say I have a hard time believing. This new Benni is something entirely different from before,

Its EXACTLY the same as what he did at Porto, they refused to sell him, he quickly stopped performing on the pitch and his sale value plummeted.

Lot of fuss about nothing on here. The players are just hired guns who move around regularly for more lucre. Why do we keep getting so emotional? Has everyone forgot that by rights we should really be commenting on the impending departure of Gudjonnsen or Mido as Benny was only 3rd choice to replace Bellamy! :rover:

Make a good few million out of him and replace him with someone who will score as many next season and who we can make even more money out of next summer. Only rem to cut the management in on the rewards too! :tu: It might not be what we really want but it certainly does represent superb business acumen!

You make it sound easy 'make a good few million out of him and replace him with someone who will score as many next season'. I really cannot see us bringing in anyone who will score as many as Benni did this season. Hughes has done brilliantly the last two seasons with both Bellamy and McCarthy however I really cannot see him doing it for a third time.

You make it sound easy 'make a good few million out of him and replace him with someone who will score as many next season'. I really cannot see us bringing in anyone who will score as many as Benni did this season. Hughes has done brilliantly the last two seasons with both Bellamy and McCarthy however I really cannot see him doing it for a third time.

Agreed. A lot of people are taking Hughes' skills in the transfer market for granted. Just think about the great strikers that have been at say Liverpool in the last years, only to not quite make the cut.

Interesting article in the NOTW by Martin Samuel about why Berbatov should stay at Spurs. Goes on to say that the league is becoming increasingly non-competitive and if players like McCarthy leave us and Owen leaves Newcastle etc. then there's something wrong, because Newcastle, Blackburn and several other clubs he names are good places to be at the moment.

Interesting article in the NOTW by Martin Samuel about why Berbatov should stay at Spurs. Goes on to say that the league is becoming increasingly non-competitive and if players like McCarthy leave us and Owen leaves Newcastle etc. then there's something wrong, because Newcastle, Blackburn and several other clubs he names are good places to be at the moment.

One word,

GREED

No, he's going in the hopes of winning something too, but the thing is that while players feel the need to move to certain clubs in order to win anything the others don't stand a chance and that was the point of Samuel's article - that if more players stayed put then the league could become more competitive again and we'd stand more chance of getting cup finals worth watching rather than the dross that was served up yesterday. A bit hypocritical from someone who's probably done as much to keep trying to move players on as any other writer, but perhaps yesterday's appalling match has finally made them wake up and realise that the product they're all so keen to profit from relies on competition for its appeal.

Its EXACTLY the same as what he did at Porto, they refused to sell him, he quickly stopped performing on the pitch and his sale value plummeted.

Yes, but Fife argued that the instant Benni came to Rovers, he had known this would come. I know he did it at Porto, to ply his trade in the Premiership.

Chelsea are after a new striker

Click here

Well after reading that article, and that comment from Wiggy, it does really look like McCarthy is the sort of person they are looking for.

I guess it will be interesting as the whole point for Chelsea buying mcCarthy is that they reckon they will be able to get him 'cheap' (say six or seven million) while clearly if we are forced to sell we will want 10+ mill. Its going to be a battle of wills.

Im sure hughes will stress to Benni that if he goes to Chelsea he will be 3rd or 4th choice striker (after Drogba, Shevchenko and maybe Kalou) playing for a team that often elect to play only one up top. Even if he impresses he is unikely to play more than 50-60% of the minutes he did for Rovers this season. Ultimately though he is clearly a bright bloke and knows what his position is but still about as eager to leave as its possible to be.

If we could get enough money to sign both Mido and Bellamy then this could turn out okay.

If we could get enough money to sign both Mido and Bellamy then this could turn out okay.

Okay? That would be bloody fantastic!

McCarthy owes a lot of his goals to the superb quality he has recieved from Pedersen and Bentley. I think a striker of Mido's quality would get 15 or so goals if we kept hold of those two...add Bellamy to that (with Roberts and Derbyshire in reserve) and we'd have a hell of a front line.

It would probably cost between £10-£12 million to pick up both of them (or players of similar quality), so a lot rests on us getting big money for McCarthy.

Only rem to cut the management in on the rewards too! :tu:

That's the daftest idea I've heard in a long time.

What benefits would that have for Rovers? If you can name any, I bet I can name three negatives for every positive.

That's the daftest idea I've heard in a long time.

What benefits would that have for Rovers? If you can name any, I bet I can name three negatives for every positive.

Eh? Performance related bonuses are pretty standard in every business. I'm sure that Hughes prob gets paid a lot in salary but his shrewd purchases and development of players has made / saved us millions. Similarly with league position bonuses at 650,000 or so per position Hughes has earned us big money compared to his predecessors. Add to that revenue from 2 FA cup semi's and European matches and you have one bloody brilliant employee!

I would love to pay someone £1m pa...... if they made me £2m. Wouldn't you do the same lechuck? Or maybe you'd be daft enough to see them leave and go to where the grass is greener.

MIDO !!!!!!!!!!! Do not mention this player again in the same breath as Blackburn Rovers, I'd rather play with 10 men ! You have been warned !

why not? do you know something we dont? he impressed alot last season and hasn't featured this season because of berbatov, keane and defoe - no shame in that.

mido and bellamy sounds like a class front line to me, i think they would form a very effective premiership partnership. bellamy's pace and finishing alongside mido's strength and skill are very welcome down at ewood for me.

MIDO !!!!!!!!!!! Do not mention this player again in the same breath as Blackburn Rovers, I'd rather play with 10 men ! You have been warned !

You forget Tyrone....... after Gudjonssen went to Barca Mido was Hughes first choice target ahead of Benni Macarthy.

Eh? Performance related bonuses are pretty standard in every business. I'm sure that Hughes prob gets paid a lot in salary but his shrewd purchases and development of players has made / saved us millions. Similarly with league position bonuses at 650,000 or so per position Hughes has earned us big money compared to his predecessors. Add to that revenue from 2 FA cup semi's and European matches and you have one bloody brilliant employee!

I would love to pay someone £1m pa...... if they made me £2m. Wouldn't you do the same lechuck? Or maybe you'd be daft enough to see them leave and go to where the grass is greener.

I'm all in favour of performance related pay; the higher Hughes finishes in the league and the further he goes in cups, the more money he gets. Selling our best players is not included.

Why would you want any potential conflict of interest between what's best for the club and what's best for the manager's pockets? If Hughes ever bought a player thinking "I could make a few quid out of him" then it's completely the wrong thing to do. That's not to mention the FA and FIFA would probably look into it in great detail, managers simply don't recieve 'commission' from player sales. How is that different to a bung?

The way to keep Hughes is back him in the transfer market. He'd never cite "well they didn't give me any money from the McCarthy sale" as a reason for jumping ship. :rolleyes:

Performance related pay is a good idea and is standard in most forms of business, but I think it is a bit of a risk to start handing out shares of the profits made from players. You want your manager to be trying his hardest to get every player he thinks he needs to stay to stay, not having any thoughts in the back of his mind that he could double his salary if a good deal goes through.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.