BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Yes, but Fife argued that the instant Benni came to Rovers, he had known this would come. I know he did it at Porto, to ply his trade in the Premiership.

Excuse me! When did I say that? I did not say it, and I did not mean anything like that. Where you get that interpretation from I have no idea. What I did mean in my post was that I suspected Benni from the start because of the blatently obvious insincerity in the tone of his first interview and this was borne out in several succeeding interviews in various places. The man has an absolutely huge ego and unashamed lack of modesty. He does not hesitate to tell us all how good he is and what he will do for the team and club. He comes across as bordering on being an egomaniac. That is what I meant by saying I did not trust or like his attitude. Nothing at all wrong with his ability as a player, but there certainly is with his attitude, and has been since he joined Rovers, which became abundantly clear to me from his first interview.

Fife..... since when do any of our players actually have to be proved to be lifelong BRFC supporters? Everybody must know that they are simply football journeymen whose talents are easily available..... to the highest bidder. Once you accept that fact your dedication will be tested next imo.

Fife..... since when do any of our players actually have to be proved to be lifelong BRFC supporters? Everybody must know that they are simply football journeymen whose talents are easily available..... to the highest bidder. Once you accept that fact your dedication will be tested next imo.

I don't expect to get much loyalty from players these days, but neither do I want to see players signing for Rovers and before they have even kicked a ball for us witness them making it blatantly obvious that they see themselves as far too good for us and are just using us as a means to display their talents for the world to see and admire. Obviously there is an unspoken desire to move on as soon as possible to a bigger club.

Excuse me! When did I say that? I did not say it, and I did not mean anything like that. Where you get that interpretation from I have no idea. What I did mean in my post was that I suspected Benni from the start because of the blatently obvious insincerity in the tone of his first interview and this was borne out in several succeeding interviews in various places. The man has an absolutely huge ego and unashamed lack of modesty. He does not hesitate to tell us all how good he is and what he will do for the team and club. He comes across as bordering on being an egomaniac. That is what I meant by saying I did not trust or like his attitude. Nothing at all wrong with his ability as a player, but there certainly is with his attitude, and has been since he joined Rovers, which became abundantly clear to me from his first interview.

You just made my comment abundantly clear.

I have never liked Mido, made no secret of it when we were after him either. Don't like him don't like his play don't think he's all that. I was sooo glad we did not get him. Keane or Defoe, in that order would do nicely thank you Martin.

Obviously the £6m wages wanted pa EACH by the vastly over-rated Lampard and Terry over the next 5 years is making even Peter Kenyon cough. The cost of making meat of one (Shev and Ballack) and fish of the others within the Chelsea squad is coming home to roost.

I think (hope) WHU will ultimately regret their January remuneration policy in the long term too.

Edited by thenodrog

Id say £10 million is the absolute minimum. At the end of the day he is hitting 30, he is due the 2nd season (where he will be marked alot more closely) and we only paid a quarter of that amount!

Anything less then no thanks!

I don't expect to get much loyalty from players these days, but neither do I want to see players signing for Rovers and before they have even kicked a ball for us witness them making it blatantly obvious that they see themselves as far too good for us and are just using us as a means to display their talents for the world to see and admire. Obviously there is an unspoken desire to move on as soon as possible to a bigger club.

I don't know him personally and I have been frustrated with him at times, but, since he was voted players' player of the year, I did wonder if a re-think should be done on his attitude? Presumably his colleagues would have seen through a fraud by the end of the season and they can obviously see something in him that we have missed.

Id say £10 million is the absolute minimum. At the end of the day he is hitting 30, he is due the 2nd season (where he will be marked alot more closely) and we only paid a quarter of that amount!

Anything less then no thanks!

Everything except the first sentence and the conclusion there seems to suggest get shut!

a fraud by the end of the season and they can obviously see something in him that we have missed.

Or know he has intentions of moving on ... Savage coming out and asking him not to go anywhere would suggest they do.

Still can't see anybody else bar Chelski coming in for him unless Owen leaves Newcastle or the Hammers relight their interest or their is another clause in some form or another , especially at the amount I would expect us to be looking for

Just makes me laugh, that for those who got lambasted for questioning his attitude all season now see the ones doing the lambasting showing discontent now.

Still can't see anybody else bar Chelski coming in for him unless Owen leaves Newcastle or the Hammers relight their interest or their is another clause in some form or another , especially at the amount I would expect us to be looking for

If either of those try and sign him, I'll just be amused. He wants Champions League football. Here we have a good shot at the next best thing, UEFA Cup football. At West Ham and Newcastle they have no European competition at all.

As far as other UEFA cup teams go...Bolton can just outright forget it, Spurs have two thousand strikers, Everton...vaguely possible if it weren't for the fact that none of them have much chance anyway given that we're likely to be in it too, he gets good service here and has a progressive manager. From the Champions League lot, expect Arsenal to lack transfer funds again, Man United to not be especially interested (Looking at Villa and the like for a lot more cash and already have quite a few good forwards), and Liverpool also to be looking for bigger fish. Chelsea is the real threat, but it now seems they're not one either.

However, if he's not off we might want to try and get him on a new contract. From what I understand, players on 3 year contracts in his age bracket can buy their contract out after the second year, and players on 5 year contracts can buy it out after the third year, in order to move to foreign clubs. I don't know where that leaves Benni, who signed four year deal, but the inference seems to be that after two years he could buy it out.

Edited by bluebruce

Deja Vu time. The Times reported this morning that Benni has a clause in his contract for the end of next season(2008) that he can go for £6m to a top four club or £5m to anyone else!! It says that they will have to pay £10m this summer as he could be poached. Hughesy is right to say that there is no clause this summer but wait till the end of next season. Perhaps now get out clauses are a fact pf life for clubs like ours.

Deja Vu time. The Times reported this morning that Benni has a clause in his contract for the end of next season(2008) that he can go for £6m to a top four club or £5m to anyone else!! It says that they will have to pay £10m this summer as he could be poached. Hughesy is right to say that there is no clause this summer but wait till the end of next season. Perhaps now get out clauses are a fact pf life for clubs like ours.

linky?

I'll take that. If Benni is putting himself in a situation (in a years time) where a big club will pay £6 million for (him) at 30 year old - then that's good news for Blackburn Rovers.

It will take another top season from Mccarthy to persuade the big guns he is worth the dosh at 30 years young.

Edited by Martin

Do you think He wants to go so he can play a hand full of games and warm the bench.

ITS THE MONEY!

I fully believe that McCarthy has enough confidence in himself to think he can hold down a regular starting spot in the Chelsea team, in his mind I doubt he's thinking he'd be going there to warm the bench. It's clear he's also very fond of Mourinho, quite a few of his pre-Chelsea players have remained loyal to him so that's not really a surprise.

Whereas Lucash Neill obviously transfered to line his pocket, I really don't think the same can be levelled at McCarthy.

..............but they also tend to go on and achieve nothing.

Hmmm......Got me thinking there 92er! I think you could well be right; I can't think of anybody who left us in recent years who has gone on to greater things than they ever had with Rovers. Even Shearer never hit the heights with Newcastle that he did with Rovers, and although he became England captain, that is not much in comparison to what he had at Rovers.

Duff, Dunn, Bellamy, Cole, Yorke, Lucash, Hendry, Sutton, etc.....all big names at Rovers but not one of them or the many others not mentioned in my list can be said to have set the heather alight after they left "little old Rovers". They may have gone to bigger clubs, but they did not achieve anything they had not achieved already at Rovers.

Edited by Fife Rover

Duff, Dunn, Bellamy, Cole, Yorke, Lucash, Hendry, Sutton, etc.....all big names at Rovers but not one of them or the many others not mentioned in my list can be said to have set the heather alight after they left "little old Rovers". They may have gone to bigger clubs, but they did not achieve anything they had not achieved already at Rovers.

Nonsense.

Duff won (2 ?) championship medal with Chelsea ; Dunn did not want to leave Rovers in the first place ; ditto Cole ; Yorke won a stack of medals with United and by his own admission has lost interest in football while he was at Ewood ; Neill has only been gone a few months so it's too early to judge and Sutton won so many medals with Celtic and was such a success at Parkhead that he is probably remembered better for his time in Scotland than his career at Ewood.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.