BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I don't see why Doyle would not want to come here over Reading. The possibility of European football, an established Premier Division side looking to push on into the top 6 on a regular basis - Reading have had a great season and all credit to them, but their target for next season will still be avoiding the drop.

Edited by sussexrover

I'm sorry but if we can only 'dream' about signing Reading players then we are in real trouble!

Well, you suggesting that we sign Doyle is entirely the same as a Reading fan suggesting that they could sign Bentley, McCarthy or MGP.

Of course we could sign Reading players if we had something to offer them (CL football, first team football if they are not getting it where they are, more money, playing in front of more fans etc). All we can realistically give Doyle is intertoto cup footie, and I don't think its an outrageous statement to say I severely doubt he will give a toss about that. If Reading got into the intertoto and we didn't can you imagine pedersen bashing down the door of the Mad-jet-ski stadium?

When was the last time we signed one of the top players of another Prem club which had not been relegated or come to the end of their career where they were? That would be Robbie Savage who only came because he loves Hughes.

We are not in a position to sign other Prem team's key players. If we want quality we have to wait for them to either be upset/thrown out (Roberts/Bellamy) or ignored (Freidel/Tugay/Bentley/Warnock), or we look abroad (Prem offers much more money- mcCarthy) or down the divisions (Reid).

The only clubs that can buy out of other Prem teams first XIs are the 4 CL clubs, and (far more worryingly for Rovers) Spurs, Newcastle and increasingly West Ham, Portsmouth, Aston Villa who have wadges of cash to spread around like there is no tomorrow and in Villa, Newcastle and tottenham's case can point to large fanbases and theoretical long term potential.

Hughes' will look for more delightfully random purchases. And why not with his bizarre track record?

When was the last time we signed one of the top players of another Prem club which had not been relegated or come to the end of their career where they were? That would be Robbie Savage who only came because he loves Hughes.

Probably would be Jason Roberts.

Well, you suggesting that we sign Doyle is entirely the same as a Reading fan suggesting that they could sign Bentley, McCarthy or MGP.

Of course we could sign Reading players if we had something to offer them (CL football, first team football if they are not getting it where they are, more money, playing in front of more fans etc). All we can realistically give Doyle is intertoto cup footie, and I don't think its an outrageous statement to say I severely doubt he will give a toss about that. If Reading got into the intertoto and we didn't can you imagine pedersen bashing down the door of the Mad-jet-ski stadium?

We are not in a position to sign other Prem team's key players. If we want quality we have to wait for them to either be upset/thrown out (Roberts/Bellamy) or ignored (Freidel/Tugay/Bentley/Warnock), or we look abroad (Prem offers much more money- mcCarthy) or down the divisions (Reid).

The only clubs that can buy out of other Prem teams first XIs are the 4 CL clubs, and (far more worryingly for Rovers) Spurs, Newcastle and increasingly West Ham, Portsmouth, Aston Villa who have wadges of cash to spread around like there is no tomorrow and in Villa, Newcastle and tottenham's case can point to large fanbases and theoretical long term potential.

Hughes' will look for more delightfully random purchases. And why not with his bizarre track record?

+ The fact we could offer double any wage offer that reading could make

I think we should look at the following:

Kevin Doyle from Reading

Craig Bellamy from Liverpool

Harry Kewell from Liverpool

If Benni goes I think we should possibly look at bringing in Mido and a young star.

No

YES

No

Don't know why but I have the gut feeling Mr Doyle is one of those one season wonders. I doubt he will emulate his heroics of this season in the next. I hope I am wrong cos I sort of like Reading and Mr Coppell (must be his bubbly personality)

Probably would be Jason Roberts.

Jason was not offered the money he wanted at Wigan and had decided to move on. He was also arguably not their first choice striker as they had just bought Heskey, and also have Camara on the books. Doyle is one of the hottest properties in the Premiership and is not going to lose his place at Reading whichever way you look at it.

+ The fact we could offer double any wage offer that reading could make

Not sure how you work that one out. Reading will have virtually identical income to us (probably slightly more as their tickets cost more and they finished higher, perhaps offset by our cup runs) and a wage bill that must be considerably less than ours. I would say Reading have more fluid cash than ourselves at the moment.

The vast majority of our and Readings money will come from the Premiership TV deal which will be virtually identical for both of us.

I don't see why Doyle would not want to come here over Reading. The possibility of European football, an established Premier Division side looking to push on into the top 6 on a regular basis - Reading have had a great season and all credit to them, but their target for next season will still be avoiding the drop.

Granted the initial aim of all but half a dozen teams is to beat the drop, but I take it that you were not at Ewood last week then?

I think we should have a look at Vincenzo Montella. I think that Roma would be willing to sell and he may favour a move to the Prem.

IMO he is past it and we should be aiming higher - think he showed that at Fulham.

Granted the initial aim of all but half a dozen teams is to beat the drop, but I take it that you were not at Ewood last week then?

Reading will be well aware of the fact that many promoted sides have done very well in their first season only to struggle the next (Wigan being a prime example). Reading might well be predicted to finish in the bottom half (especially now that they have lost Sidwell for free), whereas we will not be, and I would not be that surprised to see them in a relegation fight next season.

No i wasn't at ewood but not sure what difference that makes - i was at the madjeski stadium in December if that helps?

The point was, as Eddie says many teams seem to struggle in their second season (West Ham, Wigan just two examples)

Though I agree with most of the rest of what you said, it really isn't quite like this. Reading are in their first season up, whilst we've had fairly consistent European football since we came back up. We haven't already lost our key player. Benni McCarthy is a champions league winner who just finished second top scorer in the league and is apparently wanted by Chelsea. MGP has long since been linked with most of the biggest clubs in the country. Bentley has played for one of those clubs. All three are players who, if they should leave us, will almost certainly be doing so for a top four team. I haven't heard anything about anyone wanting Doyle. The reason being most are still wondering whether he is a flash in the pan. He was playing for Cork City until two years ago. I rate Doyle, but he's not at the same level as those three yet. And intertoto footy in itself is of course useless, but the rather likely UEFA Cup footy we stand to get isn't. Meanwhile, as has been stated, Reading are likely to be finishing below us next season.

I can't imagine Pedersen banging down their door no, but that would largely be because A: he has been linked with the top sides and B: he has already had European football with us.

(Edit: Cheers Daren ;)...also, I didn't mean to infer Doyle IS a flash in the pan, just that many seem to be thinking he could be...personally I feel he looks a good player and would be delighted to have him here at the right price if it ever became possible)

Edited by bluebruce

Ah, another one falls to the A) and B ) smiley minefield!!!

Having watched Doyle fairly closely this year and last, I wouldn't be sure that he's a flash in the pan. I do wonder how much improvement he has in him, though. He can only get wiler, so we can hope. He also works like a demon all over the front line, which is impressive. Not quite the signing to take us on, I feel.

People are all but writing Morten off for the simple reason that they're almost resigned to losing him if Liverpool or Man U decide they want him. It's a problem, because both of those teams have a little "je ne sais quoi" that attracts player. Actually, je sais quoi, they're both successful with large and active fanbases and amazing history. It's hard to fight them off, just like we could not compete with Barcelona for Eidur. Benni, similarly, would be tempted, but not by Spuds or any of the other wasters, he wants success, now. So it depends on who bids. Bentley would be insanse to leave, and he's not insane. Especially now he's been called up to the England squad, I reckon we're safe enough there.

Kewell is undeniably quality, but has injury problems. I'd personally love to see him at rovers, but not at the cost of MGP unless we got really silly money for our Gamst. I can't understand those who dislike Kewell (aside from silly hair!). If he's fit, he's devestating, he has pace, trickery, good crossing, shooting, vision and workrate.

Dammit, I wish my crystal ball would just tell me what the starting position for next season would be :( This drives me mad (but we all love it, right). Finally, don't bother reading the Sun. They've never got a scoop that they didn't pick up from the pavement in a park.

Quote from McCarthy in todays NOTW:

"I think I've paid my dues. It's not like I owe them my life or they owe me. They brought me to the EPL and I am extremely grateful for that."

"But I would love to play in the Champions League and Blackburn are probably not a team who can offer that opportunity."

There is a link to a video interview of their website.

Quote from McCarthy in todays NOTW:

"I think I've paid my dues. It's not like I owe them my life or they owe me. They brought me to the EPL and I am extremely grateful for that."

"But I would love to play in the Champions League and Blackburn are probably not a team who can offer that opportunity."

There is a link to a video interview of their website.

Seems like a re-run of the dialogue from a week ago, which suggests no actual movement

McCarthy interview

Nothing new really, says he really like Blackburn as a club but we ain't able to offer him Champions League football which by the sound of it is the most fantastic thing in the world. As I see it, if no Champions League club comes in for him then he is happy to stay, but if a big club puts the pressure on then hell will break lose if we don't let him leave... It may well turn ugly if Hughes and the club wants to play hard, demanding a high fee for him!

Having seen the interview now I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as it was portrayed to be by the press; who picked out the parts that most sounded like what they wanted to hear. It seems to me that he's:

A ) Planning for Intertoto

B ) saying basically: "Of course I want to play in the CL you idiots"

C ) & that "IF I CAN'T GET IT AT ROVERS, I would like the chance

again somewhere else eventually".

So for Jack's sake, everybody calm down. The Bellars game is just beginning & at the end of the day there's apparently no recording anywhere of Benni saying that he wants out. As for MGP; remember who his agent is, and don't forget about a little company named Bet24, who would have a great deal to say about any deals involving Gamst.

It's the silly season folks, and for the first time in a long time I think we're going to come out winners.

and don't forget about a little company named Bet24, who would have a great deal to say about any deals involving Gamst.

Unless there is something in the contract between Rovers and Bet24 along the lines of "if you sell MGP we have the right to...", which I highly doubt, then there is pretty much nothing they can say about anything involving us selling or buying players.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.