BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

The chances of getting 15m for McCarthy are zero.

The fact is, we signed the guy for 2.5m and i would be amazed if we managed to get 8m for him.

I completely agree that its a disgrace this kind of situation keeps arising, but the simple fact is, no matter which way you look at it, he isnt worth 15m. Nor is Berbatov worth 40m, but at least he has put himself in that bracket of 'world-beaters' were the very top clubs are prepared to pay 200 or 300% more for a player he can produce an extra 5 or 10%.

If a striker is of a reasonable age and finishes second top goalscorer in the league then by today's standards they are worth at least £15 million, especially if they have already shown themselves to be capable of scoring at any level.

The chances of getting 15m for McCarthy are zero.

The fact is, we signed the guy for 2.5m and i would be amazed if we managed to get 8m for him.

Unless there is some kind of 'clause' or agreement in McCarthy's contract with us that statement is absolutely irrelevent. Two names for you to ponder (who really shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath) .... Boumsong and Shearer.

The fact that we signed Benni for only £2.5m (reportedly) is irrespective with regards to a selling price. Not even sure why I'm writing this as until its obvious he's leaving as I'd like to think he'll stay. Anyway...

...the selling price surely has to be relative to his worth to the club, not from what we paid for him. We paid £3.3m for Shearer and sold him for £15m. We didnt pay anything for Duff (as far as I'm aware) and sold him for £17m. These kind of players added that extra quality to the Rovers team and it was a loss when they left, not just because we lost our idols but they could change games in our favour. Losing players like that comes at a cost to us so we should be rightly reimbursed with a suitable transfer fee.

Benni has scored 18 Premiership goals in his debut season and although he comes across as a lazy git every now and again, he has still got those goals and proved he can cut it in this league. His age is the only thing that should have any affect on his fee as he's no spritely 21 year old anymore but he's a competent 29 year old and I think he'll score similar goals next year if he stays and plays the 50 odd games he did last year. He wont get that number of appearances at the big four if he chooses to leave.

If he's going to leave, and I'd want him to ask so we dont have to pay a "loyalty" fee, I'd be looking between £12-15m and anything more than that would be a bonus.

:rover: does it matter if benny stays or goes,i think with sparky handing his list to the chairman,stating a goalscorer is no1 priorty tells us benny is offski.we will get a minimum off 10 million for him,thank him and then get on with whats best for brfc.we as supporters have to realise,brfc are small fry in the premiership,and if benny/mgp/bentley want to move to a bigger club,we are powerless to stop them. :brfc:

As long as we get enough for him in order to secure Bellamy, then Id be pleased.

Bellamy won't get as many goals as Benni, but he will create more goals for others, so I expect the same number of goals that Benni scored, just from a larger spread of players....

The thing that I have highlighted in many posts on this site and a few others is that its rare for the players of the club they play for to be fans of that club too. We'll always support the Rovers but the players have no loyalty to the club.

It was good to hear the likes of Sav say that Blackburn is the best club he's ever been at and for Bents to come out and say that he's in a "good place where I am happy playing football."

We want to keep our best players, of course we do but as Waggy says, we're powerless to stop them leaving if that's what they want to do.

The grass isnt always greener... but its for them to find out isnt it.

:rover: i honestly think matt derbyshire will suprise a few next season,if he notched 20 goals for us,and say manure came in for him,would'nt it be great if he turned round and said,i'm more than happy to stay at ewood,i can realise my ambitions here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sorry thats me just dreaming :brfc:

:rover: i honestly think matt derbyshire will suprise a few next season,if he notched 20 goals for us,and say manure came in for him,would'nt it be great if he turned round and said,i'm more than happy to stay at ewood,i can realise my ambitions here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sorry thats me just dreaming :brfc:

I have a similar dreams - like the roof going off when he scores his 195th goal for the club!

I don't understand Benni's latest posturing about "might make himself available for his country this Saturday"

Either he has made himself available for selection or not. (I presume he has otherwise the question of him playing wouldn't arise) Thereafter he's obliged to attend isn't he? :huh:

As for him moving elsewhere, the prospect of him leaving seems to have receded into the distance somewhat along with roman's billions.

Bit awkward for him after he paraded up and down the sea front like one of the lay-dees in Little Britain twirling a little frilly brolly saying "I love Chelsea"

we should buy that lad at sheffield united.......stead :rolleyes::blink:<_<:lol::tu:

personally......i agree with what B12 told me in the pub.......we should just all ignore the news for a few weeks and then just see who's in the eleven for the first game.

Edited by elwaxo

good news for Rovers :)

Pizzaro agreed 4-year deal with Chelsea

hopefully that means they won't sign another striker, especially an african one since they will lose them to the African nations in january and february next season (Drogba and Kalou). Benni is not playing for South Africa at the moment though....

Look further down, Jose would like to sign another striker as well, preferably McCarthy. :(

I seem to remember Benni getting a bit sulky when he was benched for a bit during the season, but I suppose if he was to move to a CL club, he'd probably still warm the bench but the difference being he'd be getting a big fat wedge in his wallet.

Anyone else see a situation where chelsea refuse to pay more than £3m knowing full well Benni will probably throw it out of the pram and refuse to play if we don't let him move?

I don't think Benni's like that but I've been proved wrong before.

Does it really matter that situation ?

Rovers hold the ace card in that the player is on a contract and can hold on to what they have. The plusses for them are that they can hold Chelsea or anyone ot the price they want or as near as dam it, they can also slam Benni in the reserves, make his life uncomfortable and fine him if he decides he aint playing as he then does not fulfill his side of the contract.

Chelsea have signed Pizarro, added to the young Egyptian and the dogba, they still have chevy chase so that for me fulfills the 4 strikers they need. J Cole can also play up front as can Robben.

I just dont see Chelsea coming in for Benni with that lot up front unless of course someone is leaving.

In relation to MGP and the clubs that are allegedly linked with him, the options have been narrowed down massively IMO. United will not come near him having laid out the best part of 45 Million, Chelsea dont want him neither do Arsenal, Liverpools standards will be much higher signing wise so I rule them out. That for me would leave just Spuds as a possible better option than Rovers, and really, are they such a better option ? Again I dont think so, we match them on the pitch and our ambitions are on the same lines. They have the bigger fan base and more money attractiveness and are of course a London club. They may be able to provide a "bigger stage" but he would then have to get used to squad rotation and would play at best 50% of their games.

So, now then to the big club wannabees, Newcastle, Villa and Boro. Not one are bigger than Rovers on the playing field and not one of these trio will finish higher than Rovers next season, none are in europe and ALL of them hanker of being run like BRFC. I cant see any Rovers first team player going to any club like this UNLESS they pay obviously stupid money.

I see Rovers adding to the quality of the players we already have and finally ridding themselves of the hangers on in Gray and Todd.

The future is Blue and White :brfc:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.