BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Benni has no loyalty to Rovers; and why should he, he is a journeyman footballer.

Take the word 'journeyman' out of that quote and it sums up football. Practically every player at Ewood would jump at the chance of signing for Chelsea if they were good enough and wanted.

Benni has no loyalty to Rovers; and why should he, he is a journeyman footballer.

Journeyman is a bit harsh Mike-you've forgotten all his skills and tricks already? Him and Ped took the mick out of right backs down near us most weeks.

Journeyman, taken from Wikipedia

"Professional athletes are sometimes called journeymen. It is not a technical or well-defined designation, instead it is generally given to players who are skilled enough to remain in pro sports but not skilled enough to earn themselves a permanent position on a team. Players given this moniker tend to be adept at a particular aspect of their sport, but do not possess well-rounded talent comparable to their more-successful peers"

Suppose some aspects of that apply to Benni, but I would say he does have well rounded talent.

Take the word 'journeyman' out of that quote and it sums up football. Practically every player at Ewood would jump at the chance of signing for Chelsea if they were good enough and wanted.

Well said Hasta. Folks carping on about loyalty should realise that footballers' loyalty to their clubs only goes so far, same as most folks with their employers in fact.

there has always been an air of inevitability, regarding benni moving on, so i'm not too upset about it (particularly as bellamy is ringing his old collegues telling them he cant wait to come back! )

at Newcastle?

To be fair the prospects of Benni leaving appear to be receding. The club seem to be resolute in rebuffing potential suitors and that is exactly the right message to be sending out.

Of course if WHU come up with a totally ridiculous bid that may change but not seemingly at the 8-10 m figures being bandied about thus far.

And by the way, I felt embarrased for Tugay having to watch Mccarthy win the goal of the season award, when Tugs goals were far and away much classier than his.

It just felt that BRFC had to let Mccarthy win something so his nose wasn't put out of joint !

Don't think so. We had a lot of good goals and it was difficult to pick between them, but you can certainly understand someone thinking that Benni's was the best, particularly when the importance and timing of the goal are considered.

Derbyshire may well score a few more goals next season, but he isn't in the same class as Benni and he never will be.

Does that really matter;as long as he gets the ball in the net around 20 times in a season? Who cares if he hasn't got Benni's little flicks and step-overs? He is faster over the ground than Benni will ever be. He has an excellent first touch, and he knows where the net is. What more do you want?

Oh yes; and he doesn't get caught offside anywhere near as often.

Derbs wont be a first choice striker next season IMO, he played quite a lot this year because Roberts was out injured. As for Benni going to Chelsea, Mourinho has expressed his desire to buy him, Rovers have said no, Mourinho has said he respects that. I believe he will be at Ewood next year.

Does that really matter;as long as he gets the ball in the net around 20 times in a season? Who cares if he hasn't got Benni's little flicks and step-overs? He is faster over the ground than Benni will ever be. He has an excellent first touch, and he knows where the net is. What more do you want?

Oh yes; and he doesn't get caught offside anywhere near as often.

I just think that he is an effective substitute but the side would really suffer if we were having to rely on him. His job was also made easier by the skill and movement of Benni and I'm also sure that he could learn a great deal from him if he stayed. Benni is the one striker we have who can regularly pose a threat to any side we face, we can't afford to lose that.

Just to set the record straight; I don't want to lose Benni either. All I am saying is that if he decides to throw a strop, and goes all bolshi on us, then we have a decent range of options available. Also, if some club wants to offer very silly money for him ( over £15m?) we should certainly consider it, especially as he has made his intentions fairly clear.

I must admit I cracked a wry old smile when reading Sky Text last night.

Apparantly Jose is raging mad about unsubstantiated stories linking Sheva with a move back to AC Milan.

THEY ARE CONSIDERING TAKING LEGAL ACTION !!

We wouldn't want someone unsettling your strikers now would we !!

Unbelievable.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.