BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Lets all hope that Benni wants to stay at Ewood...a great player with bags of enthusiasm.

Goalscorers in the Prem come at a premium and are hard to find,this guy is doing the business in his first ever season in the Prem.You cant help but feel bigger clubs than Rovers are watching enviously at his goal tally to date.....lets hope he is not a money motivated player like some.

:unsure:

Edited by SIMON GARNERS 194

I don't know about that, I am sure Sparky could have got Mido playing too (although probably not quite as well as McCarthy). In fact if he is available in the summer I would have a look. Him and Benni could be a very good combination!

No complaints at all if we shipped out Nonda and Jeffers and got in Mido.

If Berbatov's recent form continues, Mido could well be available.

Not sure how happy I'd be if we signed him (though I've maximum respect for MH's ability at spotting great players).

Lets all hope that Benni wants to stay at Ewood...a great player with bags of enthusiasm.

Goalscorers in the Prem come at a premium and are hard to find,this guy is doing the business in his first ever season in the Prem.You cant help but feel bigger clubs than Rovers are watching enviously at his goal tally to date.....lets hope he is not a money motivated player like some.

:unsure:

Do you mean bigger clubs like Liverpool? A la Craig Bellamy? That would be sad.

I don't see that happening at all. First of all I think Benitez will have plenty of cash to spend on a top class striker, and I would be surprised if David Villa or Fernando Torres wasn't his first choice. Plus; Benni has played for a lot of clubs and has a lot of experience - his interviews certainly hasn't sounded like he's after another run in a top team.

Benni has scored more goals already with atleast 10 games left of our season than Bellamy did for us in the whole of last season. And Bellamy was the best since Shearer?

Guest shoppybrfc

Sorry for the stats, but Bellamy started 22 Games for us in the Prem and scored 13 Goals.

McCarthy has started 27 and scored 12 so far.

Bellamy probably Overachieved for us, this season for Liverpool hes started 19 Prem games and only has 7 goals, after all Liverpool will be create a hell of a lot more chances for Bellamy.

Despite those, I really think Benni is more talented and better player, his ability to keep hold of the ball is fantastic and If hes at Rovers next season, he could be a good outside bet for Prem top scorer next season....

Despite those, I really think Benni is more talented and better player, his ability to keep hold of the ball is fantastic and If hes at Rovers next season, he could be a good outside bet for Prem top scorer next season....

I just can't see McCarthy getting as dangerous as Bellamy mainly becuase while McCarthy is deadly in the box Bellamy cause the opposition problemswherever he picks up the ball.

I'm not sure if we'll recieve bids for him. United probably wouldn't, doesn't suite their style of play anyway. Chelsea might because of his links with Mourinho, but then again he probably isn't a big enough name, they could do better as money is no problem and again I'm not sure if he fits into how they play. Liverpool won't, they'll have money and they'll go for someone Spanish, they have probably also had enough of transfer dealings with us. That only leaves Arsenal and to be quite honest they don't need him and he doesn't have the pace required to really fit into their system. Any team apart from them would love to have him, but I'm not sure why he would leave us to go to anyone but the top 4 (or if they could afford him if he doesn't have a clause in his contract).

What about West Ham?

To think that in the summer there were many people on here (myself included!!) who wanted to sign that big pile of poo Mido over this guy.....thank heavens we arent managers!! A very lucky escape for us there!!

Hey Hey, I was NOT one of them, vehemently opposed infact.

I bit early for the whose off rumours isn't it. If in fact he and Hughes have had words about his work ethic and Benni does not want to work hard then yes, he'll be off. I recent interview I saw though he suggested that he had only just begun to "understand" the amount of work one has to put in. I don't know if he will have ideas of leaving, if we get a top six finish he should stay.

Edited by USABlue

To think that in the summer there were many people on here (myself included!!) who wanted to sign that big pile of poo Mido over this guy.....thank heavens we arent managers!! A very lucky escape for us there!!

Yeah...but we should also remember that one of the people who wanted to sign Mido over Benni was Mark Hughes. Sparky made it clear who his first choice was.

McCarthy is a good striker and goal scorer and has done extremely well in his first season in the premiership. However, when Bellamy was playing for us he was just that class above. He might not have scored as many goals, but he was simply brilliant at times, which I don't see so much from McCarthy. McCarthy can turn a defender better than most in the league, mind.

Oh and also, I didn't actually think he took either penalty particularly well the other day. The keeper went the right way both times and the second probably should have been saved - it was nowhere near the corner.

I'll judge Benni next season, I like to give them the first season free :lol: .

However on past form and this seaon, I think he could be a real asset along side someone with pace. He is a different type of player than Bellamy, and so I try not to compare the two. If Derbyshire reaches his full potential then I think they could be a great combination.

we have the 3rd highest scorer in the premiership for 2 million, it speaks for itself really. And on top of that he seems to have a great attitude towards the game, a fantastic player.

Drogba 24m - 18 Goals

Ronaldo 12.24m - 16 Goals

McCarthy 2.5m - 12 Goals

Yakubu 7.5m - 12 Goals

Van Persie 2.75m - 11 Goals

Doyle 80k - 10 Goals

Henry 10.5m - 10 Goals

Johnson 8.6m - 10 Goals

Kanu Free - 10 Goals

Lampard 11m - 10 Goals

Martins 10m - 10 Goals

Rooney 20m - 10 Goals

Only 12 players have hit double figures so far - and as you can see you usually have to pay big money for those goals. Only 3 of the 12 cost below 7.5m. Doyle is probably the stand out buy - but he was unproven at this level - whereas we signed a Champions League winner in McCarthy for 2.5m. Good work Sparky!

Drogba 24m - 18 Goals

Ronaldo 12.24m - 16 Goals

McCarthy 2.5m - 12 Goals

Yakubu 7.5m - 12 Goals

Van Persie 2.75m - 11 Goals

Doyle 80k - 10 Goals

Henry 10.5m - 10 Goals

Johnson 8.6m - 10 Goals

Kanu Free - 10 Goals

Lampard 11m - 10 Goals

Martins 10m - 10 Goals

Rooney 20m - 10 Goals

Only 12 players have hit double figures so far - and as you can see you usually have to pay big money for those goals. Only 3 of the 12 cost below 7.5m. Doyle is probably the stand out buy - but he was unproven at this level - whereas we signed a Champions League winner in McCarthy for 2.5m. Good work Sparky!

Kanu for free and 10 goals looks pretty good value as well :)

Kanu for free and 10 goals looks pretty good value as well :)

It is - but I think they'll lose him for nothing at the end of the season. Hopefully we'll get a few more years out of Benni, and Doyle would command a half decent fee if sold too.

McCarthy has been a terrific buy but he's nowhere near the standard Bellamy was for us.

It was only a few weeks ago that people were calling for McCarthy to have a spell on the bench. When Bellamy was fit there wasn't even the slightest doubt about whether he would be the first name on the team sheet. In fact, when he was at his best, I'd argue there was no-one better in the league than him. McCarthy has scored some good goals (Arsenal and Everton spring to mind) but his performances over 90 minutes are incomparable to those that Bellamy was putting in.

Bellamy rightly deserves to be labelled 'the best since Shearer', McCarthy has a long way to go before he can put be in that category. In fact, as good as he is, I don't think he has the ability to. Bellamy's all round game was brilliant, the only flaw you could find was his heading ability (which would be a job with that neck)...it's quite easy to pick out a number of flaws in McCarthy's game. As long as he keeps banging them in though, none of us will have any complaints.

the only flaw you could find was his heading ability (which would be a job with that neck)...it's quite easy to pick out a number of flaws in McCarthy's game. As long as he keeps banging them in though, none of us will have any complaints.

Hold on a second, Bellamy major flaw is that he not a great finisher or natural goalscorer. Id say thats rather important being a striker and all. McCarthy has the both of them and will end up with c 25 goals in all comps this season. Brilliant return for £2.2m.

How many opportunities can you remember him squandering for us last season? His finishing was nothing short of superb. Don't let a settling in period at Liverpool cloud your judgement, Bellamy was unbelievably good in front of goal last year.

McCarthy has been a terrific buy but he's nowhere near the standard Bellamy was for us.

It was only a few weeks ago that people were calling for McCarthy to have a spell on the bench. When Bellamy was fit there wasn't even the slightest doubt about whether he would be the first name on the team sheet. In fact, when he was at his best, I'd argue there was no-one better in the league than him. McCarthy has scored some good goals (Arsenal and Everton spring to mind) but his performances over 90 minutes are incomparable to those that Bellamy was putting in.

Bellamy rightly deserves to be labelled 'the best since Shearer', McCarthy has a long way to go before he can put be in that category. In fact, as good as he is, I don't think he has the ability to. Bellamy's all round game was brilliant, the only flaw you could find was his heading ability (which would be a job with that neck)...it's quite easy to pick out a number of flaws in McCarthy's game. As long as he keeps banging them in though, none of us will have any complaints.

Bellamy's biggest flaw is that as soon as Liverpool came in with a better offer, he was off on his travels again.

Just like he was to Newcastle from Coventry (even Cov from Norwich) and when he'd wrecked that lot, to Celtic. Add in the night clubs and golf clubs, and suddenly his talent - or rather his pace - seems less important.

Hughes was canny enough to set Rovers up to play to Bellamy's strengths last season. Liverpool have too many good players to do that, and Bellamy has been left exposed.

Meanwhile Rovers now play a much better all round game, with much better all round prospects. We can now lose key players and not worry about the consequences. Last season, when Bellamy was out Rovers were a different team. Our squad is now far more balanced.

Wherever he goes, Bellamy has to be the key player, and the biggest idiot. We are well rid.

Edited by Tris

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.