BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

• 2 weeks later...
We were always going to have Benni or a wadge north of £20m.

No bids were ever tabled by the way.

No way on earth would we ever have got anything close to "a wad north of £20 m ."

Only if more than one team were REALLY interested would sums like that get seriously mentioned .....and like you say nobody was even interested enough to make a bid .

Chelsea could have got him for half the amount you mention - if they'd have wanted to of course .

I think they would .

It's hard these days for clubs to hang on to players who want to go elsewhere .

If Chelsea had been seriously interested , and in the absence of other interested parties , I reckon he'd have gone for less than £10 m . A bit like the Barry Ferguson scenario if you cast your mind back .

But we'll never know .......

He might have gone, but we'd have gotten our price. In this market; that's "a wadge north of £20 million" as philipl puts it. It's too bad tomorrow doesn't cup-tie him. We'll have to wait for 2nd Round Qualifying in the UEFA Cup for that.

Edited by doctorryan

He might have gone, but we'd have gotten our price. In this market; that's "a wadge north of £20 million" as philipl puts it. It's too bad tomorrow doesn't cup-tie him. We'll have to wait for 2nd Round Qualifying in the UEFA Cup for that.

have i missed summat.......is there a chance of players being cup tied......????? :ph34r:

It's too bad tomorrow doesn't cup-tie him. We'll have to wait for 2nd Round Qualifying in the UEFA Cup for that.

It will be interesting if we do get that far, to see if he plays. A word in his shell like from his ever so nice agent might see

him pick up a mystery injury and prevent him getting cup tied. Which would give us the clearest indication yet if he intends to stay.

IMHO

Edited by Azuri

It will be interesting if we do get that far, to see if he plays. A word in his shell like from his ever so nice agent might see

him pick up a mystery injury and prevent him getting cup tied. Which would give us the clearest indication yet if he intends to stay.

IMHO

aaaaahhh.....with other clubs...... :rolleyes:

Benni Mac's guide to taking penalties ....hopefully the premiership keepers haven't seen this clip :ph34r:

...oh wait! forgot Benni Mac told everyone on skysports last season where puts them :P

I think I'd hand the job to Dunny after watching that! btw I noticed that they didn't have Brad in the nets.... watching that clip I'm sure that it would have taken hours to complete.

He had to pull his arms out of the way of most of them to stop himslef from saving them !!

If Brad had been in goal it would have been an embarrasing afternoon for Benni, I think UEFA would have changed the title of the film to "How to Save Penalties"

Edited by mattym

Today's Daily Mail states that McCarthy has turned down a new deal at Ewood to try and secure Champions League football in the knowledge there is a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for 5m next summer!! :o

(If I recall Mark Hughes precise words he did say there were no clauses "this year") :rolleyes: It would also explain Benni's constant references to it not being his decision and being in the club's hands. He might even have been trying to do us a favour by touting himself around this summer!

If it's true, following the Bellamy situation, when will we ever learn?? :angry:

It does though put a whole new context on the situation if a big enough bid were to come in for Benni now doesn't it?

I mean 15m for Benni now, or 5m in 12 months?

If you were Sparky and knew the full amount will be available to spend on the team it's a no brainer really. If prices continue to go up, in 12 months time 5m won't buy the bootlace of a decent striker.

Somebody else would have given him the clause - as a result he would have gone elsewhere.

This way we get two seasons out of him and receive a transfer fee of twice the value we are quoted as paying for him (when he will be 2 years older) - and thats a bad deal???

Edited by sussexrover

If we hadn't given Bellamy a clause then he wouldn't have signed.

Either we sign top players with clauses or we don't sign them at all, which do you want?

1) We don't know that, allowing Bellamy "a clause" and paying him less enabled us to get him cheaper initially but it cost us on the pitch and financially in the long run.

2) We sign them without clauses making it less easy for them to do one, and also allowing us to make a decent profit if any do eventually leave.

Bellamy was rotting away in Newcastle reserves when we signed him, and no-one else had come in for Benni at the point we signed him.

Next summer he'll be 31? It's unlikely that many of the big clubs would still be interested. It is quite clear that Chelsea are the only big team looking at him and unless he hits 20+ goals again this season then I don't think they will still be looking at him next summer, even then I doubt it. He's worth keeping.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.