BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

1) We don't know that, allowing Bellamy "a clause" and paying him less enabled us to get him cheaper initially but it cost us on the pitch and financially in the long run.

I think Hughes was quoted as saying we couldn't have got him without putting a clause in.

Benni and Bellamy both knew that although they were going nowhere at their current clubs, someone would come in for them in teh end.

I think Hughes was quoted as saying we couldn't have got him without putting a clause in.

Benni and Bellamy both knew that although they were going nowhere at their current clubs, someone would come in for them in teh end.

It just seems easier and a lot more sensible to offer the "improved terms" (minus clause) in the first place to me.

If we hadn't given Bellamy a clause then he wouldn't have signed.

Either we sign top players with clauses or we don't sign them at all, which do you want?

Very true Bryan.

We kinda have to face the harsh reality of this situation, but maybe a very good season and a future with Hughes at the helm would ensure that a clause is not necessary for other 'so-called' big name players. A chance to offer UEFA Cup/Champions League.

IF true - then Rovers will monitor, no doubt.

In January if still not signed, Maybe Sell, depending on Roberts/ Cruz form etc.

If not then maybe sell next summer at £5 million for a player who will be close to 31. At which point Cruz will be our top scorer

Revidge, how would offering improved terms minus a clause help? These are players who want to use Rovers as a stepping stone to get their career back on track. Bellamy rejected a better pay deal at Rovers to sign for Liverpool.

They're happy to sign for Rovers until something more grand comes along, at which point they want out, pronto.

i think rovers are in a win-win situation here,if benni boy hits 20+ goals this season there is a good chance we may sneak into the champions league places. as long as we stay more injury free this year than we did last year,which might persuade him to stay.if he doesn`t hit 20+ goals none of the top sides will want him and he might stay anyway.only time will tell.....

If roque & roberts hit top form then benni might struggle to get in the team - think about that one! Remember the older Benni is, the less attractive he is to other clubs. Also in 12 months time we may well not want him anyway, as we may have new owners who can back the manager with cash to buy younger firepower!

Reading the Daily Mail article makes me feel that it's more important for Benni to do well next season than Roque or at least to score more goals if they both do well which I hope will happen.

Benni would leave if he wasn't the main man for Rovers but I don't think Roque would if he was in the same position because it's only his first season in the Prem.

Edited by brfc fan

Today's Daily Mail states that McCarthy has turned down a new deal at Ewood to try and secure Champions League football in the knowledge there is a clause in his contract allowing him to leave for 5m next summer!! :o

(If I recall Mark Hughes precise words he did say there were no clauses "this year") :rolleyes: It would also explain Benni's constant references to it not being his decision and being in the club's hands. He might even have been trying to do us a favour by touting himself around this summer!

If it's true, following the Bellamy situation, when will we ever learn?? :angry:

It does though put a whole new context on the situation if a big enough bid were to come in for Benni now doesn't it?

I mean 15m for Benni now, or 5m in 12 months?

If you were Sparky and knew the full amount will be available to spend on the team it's a no brainer really. If prices continue to go up, in 12 months time 5m won't buy the bootlace of a decent striker.

Linkage?

I think Hughes should be setting the players targets of:

20+ goals from Benni

15 from Santa

15 from Roberts

10 from Derbs

5 from Righters

If all that could happen then We would be very happy!!

of course we'd be happy... since that's 65 goals, not counting any from the midfield or defence (and we know that tugay, reid, gally, MGP, Bentley, and Samba are all good for 1-2 a season), and only ManU scored more than 65 in the prem last season....

No way they all get enough pitch time to score that many.... goals like that are great, but imho, that's be promising them more pitch time then they'd get (except benni, perhaps), which would cause more discontent when lack of playing time comes calling.

I think Hughes should be setting the players targets of:

20+ goals from Benni

15 from Santa

15 from Roberts

10 from Derbs

5 from Righters

If all that could happen then We would be very happy!!

This makes a change for this board; a bit of optimisim. However I do think that 65 goals from our strikers alone is too high. Didn't Clive Allen score 50 for Spurs a few years back though?

We're looking very good so far, I just hope that they all get along and we'll see the benefits.

Bellamy was rotting away in Newcastle reserves when we signed him...

I'm surprised no one challenged that statement yet. He had just come off of a successful loan with Celtic and had a multiple options for where to go.

And before Souness was appointed, I swear he had a great season under Sir Bobby.

I love my mates, but they really annoy me over Bellamy. I say that Bellamy is top class and one of the very best strikers in the Premiership. They respond that he had half a good season with us, when he was class, and otherwise never really showed that much and isn't a top quality player. At Newcastle he played some superb football, and continued to show his ability at Celtic. However, a combination of injury and his own character held him back. If Sir Bobby and Bellamy were still at Newcastle, I'd bet on them still challanging for Champions League and Bellamy banging in the goals.

Edited by tcj_jones

(If I recall Mark Hughes precise words he did say there were no clauses "this year") :rolleyes:

You are exactly right Rev and I remember thinking at the time'what does that mean exactly" Now we know. I'm already tired of this clause ######. Bellamy, Benni and then we go and sign another oh wait it's Santa CRUZ. Anyway, Benni's days are numbered which ever way we look at it this season will be his last. I am sure now it is public knowledge all the Prem managers will just sit back, see how he does this season and if he is still scoring at a high rate they plonk down a 5 MIll bid and off he goes. Who wouldn't wait a year, if we go on todays market his value has to be in the 15-18mil range so that's about a cool 15 mil saved for waiting one year.

Get shut now is what I am starting to think, I don't know if I can get excited about him as a player knowing his heart is so publicly not at Rovers. It's another Lucash situation isn't it, I think the team just does not play their best with a wantaway in the midst. I also have a sneaky wish that Cruz and Roberts and Matty do the biz with a more all round game bang in the goals and let Benni's arse get a few splinters from the bench for a while.

For 'small' clubs like us, it's always going to be difficult keeping hold of our better players.

Nevermind the fact that there is a clause for next season in Benni's contract, I think that I'm also correct in saying that at that point (contract becomes 'unprotected') he's entitled to buy out the remainder of his own contract and in essence leave for 'free'. Looks like the very best that we can hope for is £5m or whatever Benni's wages are over two years. (Probably around £4m at a very rough guess).

Clause or no clause, I'd rather keep him this season than cut off our own noses to spite our faces. Even if he leaves next year, we got two great seasons out of him and still make a profit.

If he leaves between now and August 31st 2007, then It would take something special to get us to part with him, which again, I'm more than happy with. It makes a nice change from being shafted all these years that I've followed us.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.