BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Bah just bothered to read the match thread and saw the debate raging over the injury there....

However, I do have to say, I saw a replay of the incident on a review show last night, and it didn't look as bad as I first thought, in fac trhe defender behind him seemed to put his hands on either shoulder to go over him, almost preventing a head collision. Head injuries are tricky things, but I am surprised that some of the usual suspects aren't falling overthems at another chance to take a shot at Benni.. Have we actually found the limits to which some here will stoop?

Bah just bothered to read the match thread and saw the debate raging over the injury there....

However, I do have to say, I saw a replay of the incident on a review show last night, and it didn't look as bad as I first thought, in fac trhe defender behind him seemed to put his hands on either shoulder to go over him, almost preventing a head collision. Head injuries are tricky things, but I am surprised that some of the usual suspects aren't falling overthems at another chance to take a shot at Benni.. Have we actually found the limits to which some here will stoop?

The defender who jumped on Benni actually pushed his temple right into the back of Riggott's head. It looked seriously nasty. I initially didn't see that when I saw the replay, and assumed his head had just snapped forwards with the pressure of the jumper (Wheater?).

Random Thought / Question.

Seeing as this week has teh replay of the Chelsea - REading match where Cech had his horrific head injury, I was just trying to put the whole row abotut he ambulance and Cech in context with Benni's injury.

I assume Benni was carted away, to be honest, I havent' seen the whole scene, where was the ambulance? Wonder what would have happened if the ambulance wasnt' there?

• 2 weeks later...
Mourinho said that the cheque book is closed for another window.... at the press conference for the signing of a very expensive 31 year old.

Abromovich can certainly carry a grudge can't he? :lol:

Reminds me of David Browns obvious instructions to GS when we were in the 1st Div. It appeared to be that there was £40m worth of 'talent' on the team photograph with wages to match and that if he wanted a new player he had to generate his own funds from within. It worked too.

Edited by thenodrog

Could have fooled me based on todays performance.

My thoughts exactly Krislu. I honestly cant recall a single thing he did in the whole match that I would call useful. I was surprised that he was not subbed much sooner than he was. We might even have got another one if he had been.

I remember one thing, Fife: a nifty backheel along the touchline to Gamst (who then squandered it). Might I add Gamst was also rather "off form" today along with Benni..

Ah well. They will both find form I'm sure.

Bizzarely McCarthy made an outstanding block in the box after an Everton cross. Not really what you expect from Benni.

But apart from that and the back heel he did nothing. He did not even have a shot all game I think.

He could be dropped next game. He is essentially an extraordinarily good finisher and a bit part linkup man and thats about it. If he isn't scoring then having Roberts or Derbyshire on the field who will defend from the front could be more use.

If we do get a big offer maybe we will sell?

The day we start regularly playing Derbyshire or Roberts in front of Benni will be a very sad one. I tell you what, had Benni been on the field we would have had a goal when that chance fell to Derbyshire towards the end.

Might I add Gamst was also rather "off form" today along with Benni..

Clearly we did not see the same game. Imo Gamst played as good as he has ever done for us. If this was an "off form" performance then he's just had a handfull of "in form" games.

As I commented on the match report, Benni's off the ball running and positioning is what opened Everton up so easily in the first half.

Too bad you guys weren't watching carefully.

Sorry phillip, that's absolute rubbish imo. If we did manage to attack effectively in the first half it was because Santa Cruz was here there and everywhere pulling players out of position and we were getting plenty of attacking support from MGP, Bentley Dunn and Savage.

There was something clearly amiss with McCarthy's workrate and performance yesterday. We all know he's not the hardest working player but it's one thing loafing around most of the time then exploding into life in the danger areas like he normally does, and another doing nothing at any point in any area.

Yesterday he did nothing.

As I commented on the match report, Benni's off the ball running and positioning is what opened Everton up so easily in the first half.

Too bad you guys weren't watching carefully.

I'm sorry Philip, but I'm not having that. I watched very carefully from my seat at the game and he was rubbish. As Rev says, he did absolutely nothing and was a major reason why Everton spent 45 minutes in our half in the second half.

I can reasonably stomach your positive suppositions and random guesses at how much everybody is going to spend because that seems to be related to your profession, but for somebody who gets so much wrong to come on and tell me that I "wasn't watching properly" is a bit much.

As did a lot of players. I totally agree and as I said before, he was no more off the pace for me than either Bentley or MGP. Had even one of those three really been on song I think we would have won by two or three.

As did a lot of players. I totally agree and as I said before, he was no more off the pace for me than either Bentley or MGP. Had even one of those three really been on song I think we would have won by two or three.

One thing I will agree with philip on is that I thought MGP had a vastly improved game yesterday, whereas Bentley is still nowhere near his best form.

The difference with them yesterday though was that even if something didn't come off there were no question marks about their commitment whereas there were with McCarthy.

If phillip is going to be (as usual) gratuitously rude about Blackburn folk I could respond in kind and say that you foreign based guys are desperately trying to look for something that simply isn't there because McCarthy is the established international who happened to notch 24 goals last season etc.

It seems to be a case of you can't believe he could possibly be so poor and are desperately looking for something else to say.

Clearly we did not see the same game. Imo Gamst played as good as he has ever done for us. If this was an "off form" performance then he's just had a handfull of "in form" games.

Gamst had a shocker yesterday, he looked completely off the boil.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.