BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Wherever he goes, Bellamy has to be the key player, and the biggest idiot. We are well rid.

Bellamy was absolutely superb during his time at Ewood Park and that fact was no doubt reflected in the fact that Mark Hughes and the Board offered him an unprecedented 60k p.w. to stay.

Bellamy's biggest flaw is that as soon as Liverpool came in with a better offer, he was off on his travels again.

Just like he was to Newcastle from Coventry (even Cov from Norwich) and when he'd wrecked that lot, to Celtic. Add in the night clubs and golf clubs, and suddenly his talent - or rather his pace - seems less important.

Hughes was canny enough to set Rovers up to play to Bellamy's strengths last season. Liverpool have too many good players to do that, and Bellamy has been left exposed.

Meanwhile Rovers now play a much better all round game, with much better all round prospects. We can now lose key players and not worry about the consequences. Last season, when Bellamy was out Rovers were a different team. Our squad is now far more balanced.

Wherever he goes, Bellamy has to be the key player, and the biggest idiot. We are well rid.

Just ######. Bellamy is far better than McCarthy and would be welcomed back with open arms by most Rovers fans - Mark Hughes included.

Just ######. Bellamy is far better than McCarthy and would be welcomed back with open arms by most Rovers fans - Mark Hughes included.

I agree with what Tris said, although I don't think agreeing with that means that I disagree with you. My only problem with your statement is the "far" that is used, which I think is untrue. Bellamy isn't a goalscorer, never has been and never will be; Benni is.

Both have been excellent value for money. Bellamy's attitude off the pitch leaves a lot to be desired but Benni's on the pitch hasn't always been the best in my opinion. A bit too much hands on hips when things haven't been going exactly his way. He deserved to be dropped, and I'm sure that's what it was. Seems to have had the effect that Hughes wanted as well. Just hope it isn't necessary to do it again. And he has publicly said he now knows you have to run a lot more over here.

Bellamy's biggest flaw is that as soon as Liverpool came in with a better offer, he was off on his travels again.

Just like he was to Newcastle from Coventry (even Cov from Norwich) and when he'd wrecked that lot, to Celtic. Add in the night clubs and golf clubs, and suddenly his talent - or rather his pace - seems less important.

Hughes was canny enough to set Rovers up to play to Bellamy's strengths last season. Liverpool have too many good players to do that, and Bellamy has been left exposed.

Meanwhile Rovers now play a much better all round game, with much better all round prospects. We can now lose key players and not worry about the consequences. Last season, when Bellamy was out Rovers were a different team. Our squad is now far more balanced.

We went to Old Trafford and won without Bellamy, I think you're doing the team a massive injustice with the 'well rounded' comments. Without Bellamy we were a good team, with Bellamy we were a very good team...hence why we finished sixth.

This season we're still a good team, but we don't have an oustanding player anymore, which is why we will finish lower in the table. Alright, injuries have played a part in this season, but the general opinion is that Ooijer would be on the bench and Mokoena may possibly displace Savage, so we can't complain too much.

I don't wish to criticise McCarthy, he's been superb for us (I think there's another McCarthy topic around where I was singing his praises), but he's simply not good enough to be compared to Bellamy. I know he's been an arrogant little sod wherever else he's been, but for us he was absolutely no trouble and produced some of the best football in the Premiership week in, week out. As others have said, there's a damn good reason why the board were prepared to break the bank to keep Bellamy.

This season we're still a good team, but we don't have an oustanding player anymore, which is why we will finish lower in the table. Alright, injuries have played a part in this season, but the general opinion is that Ooijer would be on the bench and Mokoena may possibly displace Savage, so we can't complain too much.

Injuries have been huge this season: Nelsen, arguably our best player, was out for half the season while our two startingcentral midfielders - Reid and Savage - are huge losses. Reid particularly would have given us a whole extra dimension to our midifield play. I do agree though that it is hard to really say the loss of Ooijer or Roberts really made much difference at the moment.

If we had the luck with injuries that we had last season I am not sure whether we would be that far off last season's position, in fact I seriously doubt it. While we have lost Bellamy I would say the emergence of Bentley, Tugay's Indian summer and McCarthy's excellent goalscoring form has gone some way to compensating for it.

Roberts, you mean the pace signed to replace Bellamy? Of course it made a difference, runs like the one against notloB are the difference he makes. As for Ooijer, sure, with Samba in this form then Samba is ahead of him, but Sparkys plan would have been to play Ooijer and Nelsen together in the centre, which would have been an excellent defense.

As for Bellers vs McCarthy... completely different types of player, except for the area of the pitch they both play. You just cannot compare them. Now, comparing Roberts and Bellamy is another matter. Bellamy's better :D

Injuries have been huge this season: Nelsen, arguably our best player, was out for half the season while our two startingcentral midfielders - Reid and Savage - are huge losses. Reid particularly would have given us a whole extra dimension to our midifield play. I do agree though that it is hard to really say the loss of Ooijer or Roberts really made much difference at the moment.

If we had the luck with injuries that we had last season I am not sure whether we would be that far off last season's position, in fact I seriously doubt it. While we have lost Bellamy I would say the emergence of Bentley, Tugay's Indian summer and McCarthy's excellent goalscoring form has gone some way to compensating for it.

Dear Joey forgot 1 thing:

Amen.

Wise words mate.

And I think much of you guys vastly underrate Andre Ooijer. He'll return stronger and better than you've ever saw. He and Nelsen will be sooo decent. Loved BBC MotD2 analysis on Nelsen last week, after Bolton-game. Finally some credit for the lad.

Pace - Bellamy wins hands down

Ability, technical & goalscoring - McCarthy any day!

For me Benni is the one i would choose if i had a choice of one or the other in our team.

I agree, without the bad injuries i think we would be around level with Bolton, if not ahead!

I would go for Bellamy. Just his sheer pace makes other teams scared.

There is not much in it though, as they are different types of players and have different qualities.

Overall, the departure of Bellamy has not really affected us because Benni has done so well.

On injuries, it has been more our inability to play a settled side which has disrupted us (particularly in the first half of the season). Whilst we have had injuries in 2007, they are long-term ones so we have been able to have some continuity.

Edited by John

Bellamy isn't far better than McCarthy it's arguable that he is even better. However it's daft to even compare as they are so different. McCarthy is a miles better finisher than Bellamy. Bellamy is miles better at setting things up and creating stuff from nothing. I don't know why people are obsessed with trying to compare and I don't know why people seem obsessed with trying to knock Benni. 18 goals at this stage speaks volumes in a team that hasn't performed great all season.

We went to Old Trafford and won without Bellamy, I think you're doing the team a massive injustice with the 'well rounded' comments. Without Bellamy we were a good team, with Bellamy we were a very good team...hence why we finished sixth.

I don't wish to criticise McCarthy, he's been superb for us (I think there's another McCarthy topic around where I was singing his praises), but he's simply not good enough to be compared to Bellamy. I know he's been an arrogant little sod wherever else he's been, but for us he was absolutely no trouble and produced some of the best football in the Premiership week in, week out. As others have said, there's a damn good reason why the board were prepared to break the bank to keep Bellamy.

at old trafford Bellamy did play. Bellamy was a good player and he would have scored many more had he not been injured so much...however the potential disruption he could potentially cause in the dressing room was a risk which hughes took and is now occuring at Anfield. Benni is a different player. he's more skillfull and more clinical. Bellers would only have to touch the ball and the opposition were immediately petrified, but he doesnt have that flamboyance which benni posseses. if we had kept bellers and bought McCarthy then in my eyes we would have had the best strike partnership in the prem.

Bellamy isn't far better than McCarthy it's arguable that he is even better. However it's daft to even compare as they are so different. McCarthy is a miles better finisher than Bellamy. Bellamy is miles better at setting things up and creating stuff from nothing. I don't know why people are obsessed with trying to compare and I don't know why people seem obsessed with trying to knock Benni. 18 goals at this stage speaks volumes in a team that hasn't performed great all season.

So the obvious thing is to stop comparing them and asking who is "the best" and imagine instead how if we had both of them it would benefit us as a team.

Agree on one respect MB but to me and think they are fairly similar, except that Bellamy used to do alot more running and start and finish a move. McCarthy is a better header but far more lazy yet has what I would call an eye for goal more than Bellamy.

One thing is for sure, yet again though I thought he was very poor again yesterday and does blow far too hot and cold for my liking.

I'd pick Ashley Ward ahead of either. He was a grafter, working hard for the team. None of this poncing about and trying to back heel it into the net. And he had the most important thing the the beautiful game: passion.

Ah, but he did make the shirt look even prettier!!!

:rover: when mccarthy said him and roberts were the next yorke and cole,i laughed benny is that himself.he has the goalscoring touch of cole,and the skill of yorke.

what odds he is not at ewood at the beginning of the season,i think the board might take a 10 million pound bid for him,i'm sure sparky would. :brfc:

:rover: when mccarthy said him and roberts were the next yorke and cole,i laughed benny is that himself.he has the goalscoring touch of cole,and the skill of yorke.

what odds he is not at ewood at the beginning of the season,i think the board might take a 10 million pound bid for him,i'm sure sparky would. :brfc:

i don't think sparky would wan't to loose Bennie at any price. He has been fantastic for us in his 1st season in the PL, and if we did loose him, we would find it very hard to replace him.

i don't think sparky would wan't to loose Bennie at any price. He has been fantastic for us in his 1st season in the PL, and if we did loose him, we would find it very hard to replace him.

Not if a secret Bellamy deal has been done again ie Sparky - 'quick word in yer ear Craig mate' :rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.