BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I've just read some absolute drivel. Some people have no idea. McCarthy is getting an absolute slating. He didn't have his best game but didn't get any service. As EIT said, he's a box player; we never got in there. USA, I'm surprised at your diatribe, it doesn't read like you. AESF is just stirring the pot as usual. Azuri's Mourinho-McCarthy 2 fingered salute love-in is plain silly, and Jan's accusations of criticism because of his skin colour alone is stupid. People didn't like Cole becasue he moaned all day. Yorke didn't like the manager and was playing for a paycheck. Roberts got some abuse the other week because he was seen to be in a huff in the UEFA game. Nonda wasn't good enough and kept missing sitters. People don't like McCarthy because he doesn't run like Dickov (but scores loads more goals).

USA you mentioned team spirit. I once played with a lad who was the laziest barsteward ever. He rarely trained, never ran much on the pitch, but won us more games with his goals than the rest of us combined. As a team we took his limitations and lived with them, our team spirit was fantastic; maybe Rovers' players think the same?

Don't be surprised, I've never been fond of players who a) Make it public they want out. b)Stroll around the pitch like they don't give a toss. Just my opinion that's all.

I hear and understand all the comments defending Benni, yes given his scoring record last term they are justified, BUT imagine how good we could be with a commited industrious Benni.

Cite Dickov as an example, works his socks off but who would I rather have? Benni hands down, I just want to see more from him. How long will peoples defence of him go on I wonder if he does not start to score regularly?

Happy for you you all lived with your lazy player, it's not always going to be the case.

Who cares? The man scores goals, tons of them. That is the point of football. We will not get any bonus points because of the fact that our striker covered x number of miles in the game.

I can't understand why people can not ask themselves yes he scores BUT how many could he or other members of the team scored if he had worked just that little bit harder. How many goals would the opposition NOT have scored if Benni had chased down a loose ball or not turned over possesion to the opponents from not working and by working I just mean running and jumping like he means it. Don't want to bang on about it too much I just don't think Saturday's performance was acceptable and there has been plenty more like it.

Next time he scores 2 I'll be kissing his arse like the rest you can bet.

Yes Theno, I do remember John Radford arriving at Ewood and the sense of excitement and anticipation which that produced in most Rovers fans. "Big name player, used to play for Arsenal, coming to little old Blackburn Rovers, whatever next?"

Unfortunately the reallity turned out somewhat differently. Not that he was a bad player, more that he (to put it in the venacular) "couldn't be arsed".

I remember that too, thought it was awesome but he really messed us up, talk about lumping the long ball. Seems like all we did was try to loft it to Radford.

What about the hide of that bloke Romario, he refused to go to training, was an arrogant sonofagun and only ran when he wanted to.

In his heyday, I would have taken him in a heartbeat.

Who cares Beeni can do the job on the paddock otherwise Sparky wouldn't have him there.

I really want to know for all those continually slating our best player if you could swap him for any striker in the world who would it be?

I would have a guess, Bellamy Bellamy Bellamy, however he doesn't want to be here so your ###### out of luck, try again.

I think you are wrong there, Dickov got plenty of stick on here when he was here.

Never off me I can assure you! No one can ask any more than a player give 100% to the team and Dickov did that and more (:blink:) after Sparky came to the obvious conclusion that continuing at 4-4-2 with an out of form Jon Stead up front would see us relegated. All that squad was capable of then was to defend like mad and hope Dickov could win us a free kick or two around the opponents pen area. Lets face it Dickov was hardly equipped to be a target man and cope physically with the close attentions of two bloody great centre halves was he? But he never shirked his responsibility at all.

I wasn't trying to pick an arguement, but I don't think that anyone saying that racial stereotypes are somewhat correct and a natural justified human condition doesn't deserve much of a response in my opinion.

So if someone says that Japanese or Chinese are more inclined to be successful in business and to be more hard working than , for example , the Aboriginal people in Australia , or that white sprinters are less likely to succeed than their American/African counterparts , then that is unacceptable ? Even if it's self evidently true ?

The sooner some people realised that races and cultures ARE different and have different weaknesses and strengths the sooner we can get away from this paranoia and obsession with race .

The thing that makes me laugh is that the same people who are always telling us that all races are equal in the next breath tell us to celebrate the diversity of those very same people . What can be more diverse than people who come from places as far apart as Norway and South Africa to play footy in Blackburn ? It's bleedin' obvious they are going to be different !

If someone is perceived to be lazy then we (should) have a right to say so regardless of their race . Not to be able to describe a black person as lazy is insulting to the right of free speech - as well as putting out the message that certain individuals because of their race are beyond criticism . Now that IS racism.......

Cultures are different and so are races and sometimes stereotypes are pretty much correct. Having said that, the vast majority are simply the product of ignorance. If you want to say that generally Asians are usually shorter, blacks are usually faster or any other stereotype that can be backed up by clear proof then that is fine. What I don't think is acceptable is someone saying that "blacks usually work less hard", "you can't trust Eastern Europeans". I will do as much to defend those people as I do to defend some stereotypes that are widely held concerning British people. There is a difference between recognising the fact that cultures and races have differences and holding some ignorant belief that you then use to judge them all.

At times there is a slight difference. I believe that the reason that black people are better at sprinting and white people at swimming for example is because of a particuler gentic issue to do with the ankle/something around that area-which means that black people can run faster and white people swim faster. Not a steryotype-just a medical fact-or at least that what i understood.

Either way-none of this is relevent to Blaclburn or McCarthy-although i havent read throught the rest of the thread i presume that lazyness is being equated in some way to being black/african or something. Load of horsesh1t

Edited by BRFC4EVA

I believe that the reason that black people are better at sprinting is because of a particuler genetic issue to do with the ankle

When I was a little lad my Dad told me they were better sprinters because of the lions and tigers in the jungle. :ph34r:

When I next see my Dad at the weekend I'll have to explain to him that he's completely wrong and it's all to do with the ankles.... :unsure:

Anyway - moving swiftly back on topic now to discussing Benni McCarthy - so there's no need for people to get their knickers in a twist, I recall a couple of quotes from Benni in March this year when he said: "The manager is always telling me that you can be the best player in the world, but if you don't do the dirty work, the hard yards, it means nothing."

McCarthy went on to say: "The manager has told me I'm probably one of the most gifted and skilful players he has ever played with, or has had in one of the teams he has managed, but that I can be even greater. I can do much better things if I can adapt to the English way of thinking – the hard work and chasing the balls down. If I can do that with my skill and ability then I can be a complete player."

A link to those quotes from McCarthy HERE

I'd respectfully suggest that on Saturday evening at Stamford Bridge, McCarthy did not do the things he talked about. He didn't do the dirty work, the hard yards and the chasing of balls. Instead he resembled a rather statuesque figure. One other quote from Benni in that article is striking: "I've been climbing up the ladder and I'm doing a couple of miles a game now," said McCarthy.

Benni seems to think that running a couple of miles in 90 minutes is doing well - or at least doing better than he did before. Let's face it, pub players performing on a Sunday morning after a night out on the town, can run a couple of miles in 90 minutes.

Prozone stats suggest that the average ground covered by Premiership players is around 11km per game (or roughly seven miles). Midfielders, not surprisingly, cover the most ground in a match. Centre-backs do the least running but even they average a fraction under 10km per match (approx 6.2 miles.)

To paraphrase Benni - he needs to climb up the ladder further. Or as Mark Hughes told him: "If you don't do the dirty work, the hard yards, it means nothing."

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

AESF said:

"Prozone stats suggest that the average ground covered by Premiership players is around 11km per game (or roughly seven miles). Midfielders, not surprisingly, cover the most ground in a match. Centre-backs do the least running but even they average a fraction under 10km per match (approx 6.2 miles.)"

I can do more than 11km walking the dog in less than 90mins!!

When I was a little lad my Dad told me they were better sprinters because of the lions and tigers in the jungle. :ph34r:

Why do you always drop needless and tasteless comments like this in to virtually every post?

Maybe more to the point, why do you constantly get away with it?

Why do you always drop needless and tasteless comments like this in to virtually every post?

Maybe more to the point, why do you constantly get away with it?

Cos it's probably true! 'Tell the truth and spite the Devil' my mum used to say when I was an infant ...... as she tucked me into bed at night with my teddy bear and my golliwog on either side . -_-

It's only those of West African heritage that are the best sprinters, East Africans are as bad as the rest of us. And one of our best young sprinters is white.

Anyway, sounds like this Benni geezer needs dropping. Along with Mr Gamst, or is it Mr Pedersen this week. Put them both in the stiffs.

Edited by Bryan

Cultures are different and so are races and sometimes stereotypes are pretty much correct. Having said that, the vast majority are simply the product of ignorance. If you want to say that generally Asians are usually shorter, blacks are usually faster or any other stereotype that can be backed up by clear proof then that is fine. What I don't think is acceptable is someone saying that "blacks usually work less hard", "you can't trust Eastern Europeans". I will do as much to defend those people as I do to defend some stereotypes that are widely held concerning British people. There is a difference between recognising the fact that cultures and races have differences and holding some ignorant belief that you then use to judge them all.

What you're really saying is you accept Stereotypes that aren't offensive, it not's really to do with how truthful they are. Telling Asians they are generally shorter and black people that they are generally faster runners isn't going to stir many negative responses but if you call a race lazy or untrustworthy then you will.

By the way the tallest man in the World is Asian....

"Benni McCarthy wasn't interested," says Tim Sherwood

Another disgraceful performance today from our South African striker. I think he should now spend some time on the bench until he bucks his ideas up. No passion, no pride, no work-rate and no hunger. (Admittedly a number of players were the same today. It was a shocking display from the team.)

I think today was worse than the Trelleborgs and Gencler shambles. It was that bad. A horrendous performance and a shameful day for our football club.

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

will someone ban this tosser off the MB please

Wooooooo...... you must have bought the biggest keyboard in the shop!

The fact is that it really is true! Everybody had em in those days.... all down to Enid Blyton you know.

btw Whats it like to live a totally humourless existence PB?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.