BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I wanted Roberts to start today's match instead of McCarthy. He will always put a shift in and can cause havoc in the opposition defence (especially against inferior teams).

I agree and disagree with what you're saying there.

I would have liked Roberts to start today, but only because of the state of the pitch.

Otherwise, McCarthy should start against inferior sides because he'll (usually) get chances and score goals. Roberts would be more useful against teams like Chelsea, because we require more of a target man and need to defend from the front more.

I agree and disagree with what you're saying there.

I would have liked Roberts to start today, but only because of the state of the pitch.

Otherwise, McCarthy should start against inferior sides because he'll (usually) get chances and score goals. Roberts would be more useful against teams like Chelsea, because we require more of a target man and need to defend from the front more.

I think it also depends if we are playing away or at home. For away matches, I feel more secure knowing we can put a shift in up front. Against Chelsea (for example), neither Benni or Cruz worked that hard for some reason. I think playing them together at home is not an issue, as we should be more the dominant team but I question whether it will work well away from home.

I suppose time will tell, as we have not had enough games to judge yet, well I haven't (especially Cruz).

Edited by John

I'll be amazed in fact flabbergasted if Benni starts against Pompey on Sunday .

I was flabbergasted that Benni came out for the second half! I was really sure that it would be Roberts, but even when MH did make a sub up front it was young Derbs and not Roberts who I am sure would have given their defence a much harder time than any of our players had up to then.

USA you mentioned team spirit. I once played with a lad who was the laziest barsteward ever. He rarely trained, never ran much on the pitch, but won us more games with his goals than the rest of us combined. As a team we took his limitations and lived with them, our team spirit was fantastic; maybe Rovers' players think the same?

Still want to stick with that? or would you consider now giving my point a little more thought. Sooner or later a player getting picked consistantly who is not performing will have a negative effect, was it tonight? don't know.

Roll on Sunday eh.

I'd still stick with him for one game more. I would be very clear to several players that their place was up for grabs now, I think a few of our big players have underperformed in almost every game so far (Benni, MGP and Bentley).

I thought that Benni only started running when he saw Derbs ready to come on. All of a sudden he was actually challenging for the ball...

..unfortunately, he stopped doing that immediately when it became apparent that he wasn't coming off...

Saying all of that, was he the only Rovers player who had a decent shot on target?

I think he'll play on sunday vs Pompey. Remember he went through spells last season of looking off-the-pace and yet he popped up with 25 goals.

Yes but look what Terry Henry did for Arsenal every season - they are doing ok this year without their tallys man

That's the most sensible comment I've read here this week.

Even after last nights debacle?( I won't call it "football," cos we didn't bother playing any) There's faith and then there's BLIND faith!

Sparky is as fallible as the rest of us, he makes mistakes too, we saw that last night. Do you still believe in the easter bunny too? :blink:

I think he has got to be dropped. We have quality replcements on the bench who can add a lot to the team. By all means bring him on in the last half hour, but whats the point of having 4 good strikers if you are not going to use them when one is not cuttting the mustard.

First priority on Sunday is getting the energy and tempo up. Roberts and, to a lesser extent, Derbyshire offer that.

The way Pompey play, this is a fixture Benni should thrive in.

I thought this as well.

Distin and Campbell are excellent defenders, but they do rely on their physical attributes rather than positioning and awareness. I think Benni will be able to find space in the box against both of them if we get decent service in there.

I actually Santa Cruz might struggle in this one, he's playing against two centre backs who can match him for both power and pace...not something he'll come across very often this season.

That's the most sensible comment I've read here this week.

Yeah,and if Sparky shows faith in him,then Benni should repay that faith in Sparky,and do something about his lazy attitude.

Sparky was fuming last night,lets see on Sunday if Benni plays,but personally I think he deserves a kick up the backside,just to realise he's playing for Blackburn Rovers.We don't want players that think they are bigger than the club.

Yeah,and if Sparky shows faith in him,then Benni should repay that faith in Sparky,and do something about his lazy attitude.

Sparky was fuming last night,lets see on Sunday if Benni plays,but personally I think he deserves a kick up the backside,just to realise he's playing for Blackburn Rovers.We don't want players that think they are bigger than the club.

Hughes isn't above dropping him as was saw last season.

If you drop Benni you potentially have to drop half the team that played yesterday! Tough decision.

Even after last nights debacle?( I won't call it "football," cos we didn't bother playing any) There's faith and then there's BLIND faith!

Sparky is as fallible as the rest of us, he makes mistakes too, we saw that last night. Do you still believe in the easter bunny too? :blink:

No I don't. Nor do I believe that a single terrible result means a good manager and team have turned to shyte almost overnight.

Yes Sparky makes mistakes (e.g. Bruno Berner) but very few.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.