BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

I still can't understand his performances this season. I think he's either been affected by Santa coming or maybe it's to do with Mourinho. :blink:

Either way, if he's not playing well other clubs won't want him so there's less risk of him leaving. That means if he ever does get back to form then we can enjoy it again. :tu::rover:

On the other hand, if he doesn't, which looks likely at the moment, then we're stuck with him. <_<

I still don't like the new offside simply because it is open too much to interpretation by the ref it already can be used to favour "big" teams. To me if a player is between the ball and the goal in the line of site of the keeper he is interfering with play. Defenders must react to the player also so there again they are interfering with play. We got away with one at Chelsea but I don't think it was so much an interfering with play issue rather than just a mistake by the linesman on the position of the attacker at the time the ball was played.

I was furious when the Liverpool goal was allowed to stand when Cisse was adjudged to have not been interfering, even though he stuck his foot out to make contact and defenders reacted. It just seems too difficult to call properly and is wide open for abuse.

Now if the player is NOT between the ball and the goal then perhaps not interefering with play is palatable but the situation like Reading, or Terry where there was player(s) in front of the keeper to me that is interfering with play but can legitimately be argued either way by the officials or anyone else should they choose to do so.

I agree MGP was poor yesterday and should be dropped if possible, but IMO he still put effort in so no need to boo him.

I really want to know what goes on in the mind of a boo boy,is it some backward tendency.

I mean do people really want to get all high and mighty about booing Bentley at Wembley,and then come to Ewood Park and boo one of their own players.Why the hypocrisy and double standards.People pay to have an opinion,but booing is not an opinion,it's demeaning and outright childish.

I really want to know what goes on in the mind of a boo boy,is it some backward tendency.

I mean do people really want to get all high and mighty about booing Bentley at Wembley,and then come to Ewood Park and boo one of their own players.Why the hypocrisy and double standards.People pay to have an opinion,but booing is not an opinion,it's demeaning and outright childish.

I totally agree.

In over 30 Years of watching Rovers i have never,ever booed a Rovers player and cannot understand the mentality of "supporters" who do.

In any trade or profession,i have never seen anybody respond positively and enthusiastically after being criticised or slated.

Imo negativity creates negativity.

I totally agree.

In over 30 Years of watching Rovers i have never,ever booed a Rovers player and cannot understand the mentality of "supporters" who do.

In any trade or profession,i have never seen anybody respond positively and enthusiastically after being criticised or slated.

I agree,and I also think it gets to the team on the field,and makes the opposition raise their game.

They're only a small section,but sometimes they seem to make the loudest noise.Pedersen seems to lack self believe sometimes,and encouraging players when they are down is what is needed from the fans,that's why we are called supporters.I have faith in the manager,and I'm sure if players are not pulling their weight,he's the man to sort it.

What odds on MGP getting the winner at Sunderland.

The article states something along the lines of 'fans prefer a dodgy goal to a dogy offside because they pay to see goals."

Not sure about everyone else, but I prefer a correct decision. I'm dreaming right?

You're right, of course. It's like it's reasonable for a wrong decision to be made.

As for paying to see goals...I pay to see a game of football. A game of football includes lots of elements that i want to see. Good tackles, good saves, good goals, good dribbles - all part of the rich footballing stew.

In the alternative, if 'fans' prefer to see goals why shouldn't 'fans' also expect to see good goals. Let's scrap offsides (as they are clearly problematic - even after decades of them being reasonably OK...) and you can only score from outside the box. :blink:

I totally agree.

Me neither, but I'll admit that I was one of the thousands of Rovers fans singing "fck off Carsley" when he announced he didn't want to play in the First Division (as it was then).

So it would be ok to shout " (Please don't use that word again) off Pedersen, youve been @#/?, again"

Well,I would deem that a lot more acceptable than booing another player in a Rovers shirt,and at least it's an opinion ,and not something that sounds more at home in a childrens X-mas pantomine,or a kiddies playground.

At the end of the day,as I've already stated,it's up to the manager,and as he proved today if a player isn't pulling his weight,he's the guy who'll act,and as already stated ,I have faith in Sparkys decisions.

I would rather change my seat than sit next to a boo boy.Let's hope Peders as a rest ,and finds the form we know he is capable off producing.

Edited by ewoodblue

I've been one of the many criticizing MGP and Benni Mac, until this season. Though my ranting has never reached a place where Blackburn's players can hear or see. In Benni's case I can see why people get annoyed by his lack of commitment, but he is still a goal-poacher, and that's what they do (they don't go after "lost causes"). Booing him certainly isn't the answer though.

In MGP's case I was appalled to hear of the booing, remember he puts in more miles than any other Premier League player. For all of his short-comings he simply cannot be faulted for commitment. To boo someone in your team for misplaced corners/free kicks/crosses is utter nonsense! I've been swearing and moaning about his play as much as the next fellow (I've also had the curse of watching him waste tons of free kicks/corners/crosses for Norway). But I'd never ever in a million years even think about booing him!

As supporters of this club we should stand behind our team, and it should almost be that way by default. The fact that I felt that this had to be said makes me a little bit embarrassed and sad really. If the boys play badly the manager will put them out of the team, end of.

Whilst agreeing entirely with the sentiments expressed by Hairway to Steven, I also agree with Cravenblue as I too have never noticed any booing of MGP. Mind you, as I have only the TV to go by that may not be as obvious as as it is to those on the ground. I do however hear others getting booed; Bentley for instance by the opposition fans. All very bad and says much more about the ignorant morons that do it than it does about the person it is aimed at.

Edited by Fife Rover

Hairway to heaven.Some fans were on his back last year,before he came good again.A small section of fans always need somebody to bully.Let's face it,the word bully is appropriate.

I was there last season,when Peders was going through a very bad patch,and some idiots behind me wouldn't shut up with their continous barracking of him.One comment in particular made me turn around and tell one of the morons who said it what a t@sser he was.The comment was while being subbed "i hope you break your leg,your waste of @}### space"

From Setanta:

Hughes admits he has been disappointed by McCarthy’s recent form and believes the former Porto star will benefit from extra work on the training ground.

"I made the decision to leave Benni back at the training ground just to do extra work,” said Hughes.

"I just feel his form at the moment is not quite at the level it was, so he is doing a lot of one-to-one stuff and that will continue next week.

"He will be better for that and be ready to make the impact he made last year."

Whole article

Edited by mattjansen

From Setanta:

Hughes admits he has been disappointed by McCarthy’s recent form and believes the former Porto star will benefit from extra work on the training ground.

"I made the decision to leave Benni back at the training ground just to do extra work,” said Hughes.

"I just feel his form at the moment is not quite at the level it was, so he is doing a lot of one-to-one stuff and that will continue next week.

"He will be better for that and be ready to make the impact he made last year."

Whole article

Reading that article I think Sparky has got Benni well and truly sussed. The last two sentences send a clear message to Benni; it is entirlely up to him whether or not he heeds it.

It's really refreshing that Mark Hughes has built the squad up to such an extent that anyone not pulling their weight knows they'll be replaced by a more than adequate deputy.

Such a change from the Souness regime where his personal favourites like Lucas Neill could (and did) play appallingly badly for an entire season or more whilst at the same time knowing there was no danger whatsoever of them being dropped.

Edit: Great article from Gallagher, spot on about Benni. We could actually do with Benni at his very best tomorrow night, and not moping about because at his best he is capable of pulling out a bit of skill from nowhere which might unlock a tightly packed defence.

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Its how he reacts that worries me. He seems like the type of player that could sulk at this sort of treatment. Hopefully not!

If he is, then we won't be seeing him in a Rovers shirt again very often - hopefully.

That isn't what anyone wants though - Hopefully again he proves to be a lot bigger than that and he can get back to his best form.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.