BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Was physically at Ewood. Couldn't be arsed as it was wet and windy.

Rubbish. He was working hard and was even covering for the defenders well into defence. There were also a couple of occasions when he would have scored if those two players had bothered picking him out.

Also: 18 goals. Enough said.

Edited by James No. 7

Rubbish. He was working hard and was even covering for the defenders well into defence. There were also a couple of occasions when he would have scored if those two players had bothered picking him out.

Also: 18 goals. Enough said.

McCarthy was poor yesterday but he wasn't alone.

Yes, fair enough strikers are judged on goals and McCarthy has scored plenty. He does, occaisionally, display a poor attitude imo. He wouldn't be the only prolific striker to do so.

That's my point though, you don't hear much about Derbyshire whereas Benni takes all of it. Neither played that well yesterday and to be honest Derbyshire hasn't been impressive for the past couple of games. He runs around a lot but that is pretty much all he has done.

That's my point though, you don't hear much about Derbyshire whereas Benni takes all of it. Neither played that well yesterday and to be honest Derbyshire hasn't been impressive for the past couple of games. He runs around a lot but that is pretty much all he has done.

Well spotted Eddie. Yes Derbyshire does run around a lot dosn't he?

He's a youth striker who's holding two internationals out of the starting line-up. One of whom has played in a Champions League finals and the other who has good premiership experience; because of this I expect him to live up to that and perform as I would expect those two to do.

I agree that Benni can be a lazy git at times but it does anger me when we smash the ball up into the air and expect him to chase it or challenge a defender in the air. HAVE OUR PLAYERS NOT SEEN WHAT HE CAN DO WITH A BALL WHEN HE HAS IT AT HIS FEET :blink: If they looked at passing to his feet then we would be allot better for it.

I agree that Benni can be a lazy git at times but it does anger me when we smash the ball up into the air and expect him to chase it or challenge a defender in the air. HAVE OUR PLAYERS NOT SEEN WHAT HE CAN DO WITH A BALL WHEN HE HAS IT AT HIS FEET :blink: If they looked at passing to his feet then we would be allot better for it.

McCarthy is a class act, has fantastic abiltiy and could be a real crowd pleaser. The fact that he isn't really a massive fan favourate despite his 18 goals speaks volumes. Not only does he sometimes appear lazy, he oftens gives off a surly impression. I suspect that was one of the reasons behind his recent absence from the first team and the way he celebrated his stunner against Arsenal suggested as much. Quite childish.

Cocker, regardless of the service, McCarthy is being paid fortunes for the joy of playing football for a living. I and I suspect many others, would like to see more than sporadic enthusiasm.

Christ on a bike, you dont half talk alot of @#/? do you Mike?

I agree with mike completely on this one, eighteen goals or not, McCarthy was an absolute disgrace yesterday - never came out of the dressing room.

To answer Eddie's question, the difference between McCarthy and Derbyshire is that even when the latter isn't having a good game he gives it his all which the supporters can see and appreciate.

McCarthy's poor games (which have become alarmingly frequent recently) appear to stem from a "can't be arsed" attitude.

Think about where McCarthy has been most of his career. I read him saying that in Portugal he wasn't expected to chase lost causes - it's a different culture. That's what he's become accustomed to and what Hughes is trying to change. Derbs football education has come in a country where honest endeavour is often valued as highly as skill.

I agree with mike completely on this one, eighteen goals or not, McCarthy was an absolute disgrace yesterday - never came out of the dressing room.

To answer Eddie's question, the difference between McCarthy and Derbyshire is that even when the latter isn't having a good game he gives it his all which the supporters can see and appreciate.

McCarthy's poor games (which have become alarmingly frequent recently) appear to stem from a "can't be arsed" attitude.

RB gotta say I disagree - watching the match back on Sky I was amazed to see McCarthy tracking back on a significant number of occasions.

Not one of McCarthy's better matches - but at the end of the day strikers are about scoring goals - which he has done frequently and in matches that count - aka Arsenal. Believe me - if Rovers decide to let him go I am sure there would be a long queue on clubs wanting an 20 goal a season striker in their squads.

RB gotta say I disagree - watching the match back on Sky I was amazed to see McCarthy tracking back on a significant number of occasions.

Not one of McCarthy's better matches - but at the end of the day strikers are about scoring goals - which he has done frequently and in matches that count - aka Arsenal. Believe me - if Rovers decide to let him go I am sure there would be a long queue on clubs wanting an 20 goal a season striker in their squads.

I thought Benni worked harder than normal, in a more withdrawn position than normal and that Derbyshire played further up.

MH has also been quoted in the LT as saying he was thinking about re-negotiating Benni's contract after his success this year.

:rover: i thought benni could have gone down in the 1st 10 mins against westspam and had green sent off,who made more contact with benni, than brett did with teves for the penalty.he stayed on his feet and tried to score/make a goal,fair play-still will not be at ewood next season :brfc:

Benni Mccarthy, What does everyone think of him....

Mercurial

changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic

When he's good he's great when he's not he's not so great... the right sort of guy to have alongside hardworking Derbs and Roberts - don't think we can afford two of them though (Nonda?).

I can't believe what this guy is copping on this board "absolute disgrace" what the hell do you guys want in a striker?

You expect him to track back and run 6 miles in a game, be strong in the air, skillful with the ball at his feet, setup goals, score them, take penalties, take on players, lightning speed and all with a constant smile on his face waving to the fans screaming his constant appreciation for them showing up.

He scores goals, and lots of them, build a friggin midfield that can do everything else and let him get on with his job.

Agreed neekoy.

I noticed one worrying feature of the West Ham game- the number of times a Benny flick hit his West Ham marker.

I guess they had worked out how to position the man on Benny so the flick got blocked rather than found its intended target.

My feeling is the Rovers need to build their game plan a bit more around Benni like they did for Bellamy. With Bellamy it was all about quality balls into channels- with Benni it is quality balls to his feet (more difficult).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.