BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

Absolute top class performance yesterday against Liverpool by Macarthy, and his standing ovation was fully deserved.... (wonder if pulling him off on 85 mins and allowing the crowd to applaud him directly and fully was astute psychology on Hughes part? For what it matters I'd have taken RSC off.) He tied em in knots over and again. Just a pity Bentleys chance did not fall to Benni.

I thought Benni was absolutely sensational last night, easily the most technically impressive player on the pitch and transformed from the on-the-shoulder goal poacher of last season to a tremendous linkup striker who showed great ball retention and vision. About three months ago I was advocating, I think quite justifiably, his dropping for Derbyshire or Roberts as he would go through games barely touching the ball. Now he not only looks like he can score at any opportunity (sadly he got no real ones last night) but also that he can create, contribute and defend.

One of the greatest turn arounds in attituded and application I have ever seen.

Santa and him look like they could be one of the finest combinations up front in the league, which is faintly ridiculous when you compare how much the likes of Rooney-Tevez, Shevchenko-Drogba and Torres-Kuyt cost. Outstanding.

Would you rather have a team populated by semi-talented 'local heroes' or genuine class acts who might be a little, shall we say, mercenary? Which is likely to lead to more success and your favourite subject, bigger crowds?

That'd mean supporting Accy Stanley wouldn't it?

Not unless you're from Liverpool.

I thought Benni was absolutely sensational last night, easily the most technically impressive player on the pitch and transformed from the on-the-shoulder goal poacher of last season to a tremendous linkup striker who showed great ball retention and vision. About three months ago I was advocating, I think quite justifiably, his dropping for Derbyshire or Roberts as he would go through games barely touching the ball. Now he not only looks like he can score at any opportunity (sadly he got no real ones last night) but also that he can create, contribute and defend.

One of the greatest turn arounds in attituded and application I have ever seen.

Santa and him look like they could be one of the finest combinations up front in the league, which is faintly ridiculous when you compare how much the likes of Rooney-Tevez, Shevchenko-Drogba and Torres-Kuyt cost. Outstanding.

I have been critical of McCarthy this season and the back end of last.

He was, however, excellent against Liverpool. Phenominal workrate to go with his undoubted class. Fair play to him - top drawer!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the fact that South Africa are hosting the next World Cup. Both of them will probably be able to play in that, so why would you choose to miss out on playing in a world cup (considering they didn't make it to 2006) and being the host nation.

• 2 weeks later...

A South African perspective on Benni.

They don't exactly love him but the accusation that Mark Hughes cut a deal comes up again.

From what I can see, Pereira is not exactly stable unless I am doing him a disservice and the Bafana Bafan have only recently appointed him. If he's been around for any length of time, he's appointed then dismissed Aaron Mokoena from the captaincy at least once before.

Guest Kamy100

According to this morning's Lancashire Telegraph Benni is set for set for showdown talks with Hughes. Hughes is due to meet him to discuss why he wasn't in the changing room at the end of the Newcastle game and to ask if he has any problems. I love Benni and would love him to stay at Rovers but this impetulant behaviour is becoming tiresome.

He's been brilliant since he came, but all those positive words coming out of his mouth was just rubbish then. Anyway, we all have to accept the fact that our best players do not see us as a big enough club for them. If Santa Cruz have a great end to the season then expect him to leave as well, along with Bentley....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.