BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Benni Mccarthy - Gone

i agree, what the hell has Roberts done to deserve the treatment he is receiving, i don't blame the guy for putting in a transfer request

you don't blame the guy??

He's been out injured for months, we pay his wages, nurse him back to full fitness, then sparky decides that he has to wait a little longer to play him than he would have liked. So he spits his dummy out like a big girls blowse and hands ina transfer request.

As far as I'm concerned - players like that are the absolute worst, as they have no interest whatsoever in the TEAM. We've seen other players who have knuckled down and got on with their job and bided their time - but not for roberts.

I find it staggering that you and many others on here are defending Roberts and slating Benni.

If Benni's game was like roberts in terms of running + but he also possesed benni's skills - he wouldn't be playing for us - he'd be starring for man u, chelsea or liverpool.

Simple fact is - he's never been that type of player, but he is the playerwho can and does score. Give me this kind of striker anyday of the week.

A team is all about having players that compliment each other. If we have a side of grafters - we'll only ever be good enough for mid table medicrity.

All this nonsense about McCarthy not trying - is just nonsense. Sometimes it just go for you as a striker. The things you try don't come off. I imaghine you'll all be singing his name the next time he scores though!

He's been out injured for months, we pay his wages, nurse him back to full fitness, then sparky decides that he has to wait a little longer to play him than he would have liked. So he spits his dummy out like a big girls blowse and hands ina transfer request.

As far as I'm concerned - players like that are the absolute worst, as they have no interest whatsoever in the TEAM. We've seen other players who have knuckled down and got on with their job and bided their time - but not for roberts.

I find it staggering that you and many others on here are defending Roberts and slating Benni.

If Benni's game was like roberts in terms of running + but he also possesed benni's skills - he wouldn't be playing for us - he'd be starring for man u, chelsea or liverpool.

Simple fact is - he's never been that type of player, but he is the playerwho can and does score. Give me this kind of striker anyday of the week.

A team is all about having players that compliment each other. If we have a side of grafters - we'll only ever be good enough for mid table medicrity.

All this nonsense about McCarthy not trying - is just nonsense. Sometimes it just go for you as a striker. The things you try don't come off. I imaghine you'll all be singing his name the next time he scores though!

Don't make me laugh Roberts has waited longer then anyone to have a run in the 1st team, so don't give me that nonsence

Roberts should of started against West Ham, after his peformance against Fulham and his second half performance against the Magpies.

I don't blame him for putting in a transfer request at all. He has neve been given a run in the side apart from late last season and look what happened then, he was one of our best players. Roberts has been treated badly by Hughes and i am sick to death of him keepng players in the side, that quite simply are not up to the task.

Edited by gazsimm

I am not slating Benni but I think Roberts would be better coming off the bench last night. It was clear that we needed a physical presence up front with Santa Cruz, the arsenal defenders couldn't cope with him and I don't think they would have coped with 2 physical strikers up front.

I don't give a toss who is sulking, or why they are sulking, but it is clear that Hughes did not bring Roberts on because of personal reasons and not football reasons.

Why the hell did he bring zurab on in the last 5 mins ??? Shocking decision. Why put him on the bench if he is going to bring on an out of form Benni, a defender and an axe on instead ?

Sell Roberts, but for gods sake bring the guy on if he is on the bench when we need him.

Guest WestSussexTombo

Bearing in mind that Jason had been at the club for about a month longer then Benni and he has had a injury that kept him out for a bit. Jason has played about half the games that Benni has.

I cant understand repaying a player for good performances such as his sub appearence which made all the difference vs Newcastle with not giving him a game at all. If a player plays well you play him...

Id also like to mention that i have huge respect for Jason Roberts, bearing in mind he kept his transfer request out of the media much unlike Benni's using the media to get his move last summer to Chelsea or a 'Champions League Club', although ultimately it didnt happen!

As a player in your 30's its probably harder to keep the fitness and performances up, and you need to be playing regular matches. Also remember he was a regular starter for Wigan, i think you cant put the guy down for wanting to have that 1st team football somewhere else, considering he isnt even being put on as a sub these days...

I really dont get the comment about him not caring about the TEAM, as his performances have said otherwise. I might even go as far to say that he cares more about the team these days then Benni does, going on performances...

Correct me if you feel im wrong... :blink:

Only a guess but reading the smoke signals Roberts has effectively been sold to fund an incoming deal that Hughes wants to happen. Wrapping him in cotton wool to ensure that he stays fit in the meantime effectively means us not playing him.

Pity cos I quite like what Roberts has to offer the squad. Power and pace is a very necessary option in some matches. Maybe the emergence of RSC as our best front man have rendered Jason Roberts as an expensive luxury. Unfortunately our finances no longer appear to allow us to improve the squad without making some room on the wage bill first.

Anyone who thinks Benni should be dropped because of his attitude and replaced by Derbyshire is Crazy. Derbyshire isn’t yet good enough to play week in, week out, he doesn’t have much impact, he isn’t strong enough, and he isn’t willing to put many tackles in. To be honest if we could manage without (which at the moment we cant) then he would be best going on loan to a top championship team for a year, as it would benefit him in a rougher league. Yes he put a good cross in for Cruz last night, but that was about it!

As for Roberts, he shouldn’t be at this club anymore, because he is pathetic. In summer when the likes of Fulham were interested, we should of sold there and then! IN JANUARY HE SHOULD BE SOLD!! No doubt about that. £3 million or more and goodbye!

Roberts being unhappy is affecting others, kicking off because he isnt guaranteed a 1st team spot. Well tough sh!t! He isn’t good enough to command a 1st team place. We have stuck by him through 2 seasons of injury, now he expects to walk into the team in front of Benni & Cruz? Thanks but no thanks! Not a chance. In terms of ability, class, finishing, goal scoring, technique etc he isn’t even close to either of those two! Yes he did well against Fulham, upfront alone, but they aint the greatest team in the world either! I felt when he moved and I still feel the same way that he was coming to ewood for a couple of years (for his big wage packet), before he could run off to London at the end of his career.

Fans giving Benni grief is wrong! Last year he was a sensation and ended up top scorer, hence the enquiries from Chelsea & West Ham. This year he has bagged another 8 goals so far, despite not starting off the season well. YES I agree he can be frustrating with little flicks and the fact he doesn’t chase the ball down all over the pitch, but that isn’t his game. He is an out and out striker, who if given a chance will score you goals. The problem with our team at the moment is the midfield. They are not doing there share of the defending and they are not creating enough chances for our strikers, Bentley being the Exception.

Well said Hughesy - my thoughts exactly!

McCarthy is a dick. Let him leave. His overall performances have been terrible and lazy recently and his attitude sucks. Certainly give Derbyshire a chance. The guy is immense and 100% committed!!!

Anyone who thinks Benni should be dropped because of his attitude and replaced by Derbyshire is Crazy. Derbyshire isn’t yet good enough to play week in, week out, he doesn’t have much impact, he isn’t strong enough, and he isn’t willing to put many tackles in. To be honest if we could manage without (which at the moment we cant) then he would be best going on loan to a top championship team for a year, as it would benefit him in a rougher league. Yes he put a good cross in for Cruz last night, but that was about it!

As for Roberts, he shouldn’t be at this club anymore, because he is pathetic. In summer when the likes of Fulham were interested, we should of sold there and then! IN JANUARY HE SHOULD BE SOLD!! No doubt about that. £3 million or more and goodbye!

Roberts being unhappy is affecting others, kicking off because he isnt guaranteed a 1st team spot. Well tough sh!t! He isn’t good enough to command a 1st team place. We have stuck by him through 2 seasons of injury, now he expects to walk into the team in front of Benni & Cruz? Thanks but no thanks! Not a chance. In terms of ability, class, finishing, goal scoring, technique etc he isn’t even close to either of those two! Yes he did well against Fulham, upfront alone, but they aint the greatest team in the world either! I felt when he moved and I still feel the same way that he was coming to ewood for a couple of years (for his big wage packet), before he could run off to London at the end of his career.

Fans giving Benni grief is wrong! Last year he was a sensation and ended up top scorer, hence the enquiries from Chelsea & West Ham. This year he has bagged another 8 goals so far, despite not starting off the season well. YES I agree he can be frustrating with little flicks and the fact he doesn’t chase the ball down all over the pitch, but that isn’t his game. He is an out and out striker, who if given a chance will score you goals. The problem with our team at the moment is the midfield. They are not doing there share of the defending and they are not creating enough chances for our strikers, Bentley being the Exception.

So do u think Roberts has been treated well at the club then?????????????

If Hughes is not going to play Roberts why did he have him on the bench????????

I rather have Roberts on the pitch then Derbyshire and benni with his form of late.

McCarthy is a dick. Let him leave. His overall performances have been terrible and lazy recently and his attitude sucks. Certainly give Derbyshire a chance. The guy is immense and 100% committed!!!

His "overall" performances? Sorry I must be thinking of a different McCarthy to the one that scored 24 times last season.

Guest WestSussexTombo
His "overall" performances? Sorry I must be thinking of a different McCarthy to the one that scored 24 times last season.

Last Season being the operative words... <_<

OK, I'll put here what I wrote on the Nicko/Niko thread.

Benni's Rovers career stats are 65 appearances 32 goals 2 assists. That includes this season.

Where are the goal every other game strikers to replace him with? Roberts averages a goal every 5 appearances for Rovers by the way.

Benni's problem lies in our midfield players collectively not being good enough which I also think is a reason for the sudden catastrophic collapse of our defense.

Edited by philipl

Guest WestSussexTombo

Benni's Rovers career stats are 65 appearances 32 goals 2 assists. That includes this season.

Where are the goal every other game strikers to replace him with? Roberts averages a goal every 5 appearances for Rovers by the way.

Is that 5 appearences from the start of the game for Roberts or is that just 5 sub appearences?

I still think Roberts is a underated player for us...

at least Roberts looks like he is going to something when he comes on though unlike Benni in recent weeks. I am not saying benni's not a good player, but his form of late does not warrant him a starting place over Roberts

When Roberts came on against West Ham was it? he hustled to great effect but never once looked like scoring a goal.

Benni was disappointing last night but got into four goal scoring positions in his 30 minutes including being put clean through the first time and wrongly called offside (not the second time when he patted it to the keeper when called offside- ref waved play on when the keeper got it but I saw the flag go up again that time and he was off side)

Now Santa has hit a rich scoring streak I would play Roberts for his muscularity against Chelsea because in part its needed to counter our patsy midfield but ordinarilly Benni should always start ahead of Roberts.

Edited by philipl

When Roberts came on against West Ham was it? he hustled to great effect but never once looked like scoring a goal.

Benni was disappointing last night but got into four goal scoring positions in his 30 minutes including being put clean through the first time and wrongly called offside (not the second time when he patted it to the keeper when called offside- ref waved play on when the keeper got it but I saw the flag go up again that time and he was off side)

Now Santa has hit a rich scoring streak I would play Roberts for his muscularity against Chelsea because in part its needed to counter our patsy midfield but ordinarilly Benni should always start ahead of Roberts.

The whole thing regarding Roberts is scandlous. Why the hell did Hughes have him on the bench last night, when he knew deep down he was not going to use him.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.